Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

We got pumped.

Collingwood are a very good side but one of the biggest differences was the 11 under 50 games v 3 under 50 games.

We had too many players that were like deer in the headlights tonight and sadly a lot of them weren’t in the 11 under 50 brigade.

Sam Gray is the epitome of a downhill skier and Karl Amon has the physical presence of a kindergartener.

As long as those 2 are in our best 22 I’ll never feel confident.

Lay off the kids though you overreactive campaigners they are not to blame.
Nah Sam Gray just isn’t a forward at AFL level. Can outwork players, but can’t out mark/out body AFL level defenders with any regularity. When confined to the forward 50 his strengths are nearly meaningless, and his weaknesses are hugely exposed.

Karl Amon is also OK, just not at docklands when we are getting smashed in the contest.

Both in the same team might have worked at Subiaco or the MCG but not at Docklands.

Bringing in Amon to improve our disposal would be a good idea if he won his own ball, but it was Boak, SPP, and Wines winning it and turning it over instead of giving it to Karl. Not to criticise Travis too much, as he was our best tonight easily.

Our midfielders shouldn’t have been that pathetic, but we know they are sometimes. We NEED redundancy through the stoppages, especially against ******* Collingwood who will absolutely destroy you if you give their midfielders space.

Atley MUST play now, at least until Robbie is back.

Review the less experienced players and ... well revue would be best with the rest. There were many comical passages.

Don't you love it when you go on Facebook to constructively criticize your team's poor performance and 16 Sues, Carolyns and Margarets come steaming in telling you to stop picking on the players and just get behind the team?

I don’t bother anymore as I am sick of people who are seemingly deluded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and Collingwood are a great side to watch but IMO their game is too gameplan based to win a premiership.
We've had a full quota of gameplan based premiers and the law of averages means we probably won't see another for quite some time.

And can anybody explain why we kick to Sam Gray in the forward line like he is a 200cm giant? Infuriating

Disappointing first quarter, our intensity was just off. Our defence was so slow and reactive, Houston was caught napping and not even in the field of play for one goal, Clurey was giving meters to opponents, etc, and the midfield was getting absoutely destroyed.

BUT....

After that we were competitive, we picked up the intensity and looked ok. Yes it is hollow when you win the last 3 qtrs in a game that's already cooked, but in reality we were pretty competitive. So I'm not really too disappointed. I picked the Pies by around 5 goals, so around 7 goals isn't far off what I realistically expected.

We aren't on Collingwood's level and most realistic fans knew that before the game, and we got taught a lesson early before adjusting and showing that we can compete, even if we are outgunned.

So it's definitely not all negative, however it remains slightly disappointing that we never really gave ourselves a chance. Hopefully it breathes a bit of reality into some of our supporters who were a bit ridiculous with their over confidence throughout the week.

PLayers:

Best: Hard to give Westy a nod as our best after missing so many easy shots, but he and Boak were clearly our best. Burton also had a decent night, while Howard had his moments. Ryder probably had his most influential game due to being in ruck and probably should've started in there, but that early dropped mark was a killer.

Worst: Wines friggin horrible. Drew seems to have fallen away and is due for a SANFL spell now. Rockliff looked just as slow and terrible against a good midfield as he did in Rnd 22 last year V Collingwood when many of us wrote him off. Lycett not horrible, bu thad his worst game for us. Butters a victim of a beaten midfield and very quiet up forward.

Oh and Collingwood are a great side to watch but IMO their game is too gameplan based to win a premiership.
We've had a full quota of gameplan based premiers and the law of averages means we probably won't see another for quite some time.

Agree.

Powell pepper was one of the few shining lights. Drew started slow but was one of the better players. Marshall was given a bath. He had 0 presence. Thought that we needed that loss. We really shouldn't be too disappointed. Collingwood just know how to play another level. Was a great learning experience for the boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back