Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Well at least we've lost a game now where we were genuinely outplayed by a better team instead of throwing away games where we were in the box seat. Collingwood were great. Their midfield broke even with us at the stoppages and then burned us hard on the outside all night. Rockliff barely sighted. Rockliff and Boak with 3 marks combined shows how bad we were at finding space on the outside.

We seemed to make a skill or decision making error with every foray forward, and that was compounded by the Classic Ports™ missing of several easy set shots that could have gotten us into the game. Maddening. Collingwood are great with their pressure but our lack of composure absolutely killed us. Collingwood were able to take full advantage and their ball use was superb.

You could see how badly we were effected by the poor start because Collingwood threw everything at every contest and we appeared hesitant and scared of letting them go out the back, which is when we play our least effective football.

We are really, really missing experience in our backline and it showed tonight with Jonas out. We need one of DBJ or Bonner to go out for Broadbent pretty well straight away thanks. Hartlett to come in for the other when fit. Howard was pretty good, but Clurey had a really off night and of the smalls only Burton gets a pass mark.

Butters is looking tired and probably needs a week in the SANFL to refresh. Not really his fault, first year player and it's difficult to have a big impact as a small forward when your team is struggling like that against a good opponent.

I thought we'd probably lose. Think I tipped the margin to be 38 points so i wasn't far off but it was the manner in which we lost, the efforts of more than a few when it mattered most that makes me ill.

I was wrong calling Wines a B grader, he's a C grader at best and is not a leader. He hasn't the game to be able to lift people and hasn't the hunger or nastiness to instill confidence. It will be a long, long time before we see any sort of success with that type of leader running around. Slow, abysmal disposal and decision making. A horrid performance.

Sam Gray - PMSL. The biggest front-running, downhill skiing player ever to represent the PAFC. Bottom teams or when we are well on top and he's reasonable. Any sort of higher standard or effort required and he's like so far out of his depth it isn't funny. But hey, he's had a couple of good games when his conditions are in play so he's all good for the rest of the year.

Bonner. I was wrong again. He's not soft, he's outright gutless and a fraud.

Our midfield got smashed, like really smashed all game. Boak was the only one to look as though he could match it with those guys, the rest just wanted easy ball and to finger point all game long.

Butters needs to spend a chunk of time in the SANFL. I like him. I think he'll be a good player but he needs some size and the best thing for him at the moment would be to be playing in a competition he can gradully start to dominate. Get his hands on the ball 25+ times per game and learn when to be tricky and when to play the percentages.

Drew needs SANFL time too. So one paced and although he tries he's looking very vanilla.

The defense were shocking for big parts of the game. Slow to react, gave them too much room and couldn't close on them anywhere near quick enough.
A lot of guarding pieces of turf & pointing.

All of this is just a repeat of nearly every bad loss we have and you'd think somebody would see patterns developing down at Alberton but we all know as long as Hinkley the Clueless is in charge nothing more will happen. He'll talk about 'backing the boys to respond' and there will be no change, or minimal and we'll probably end up bottom 6 at the end of the year and they'll talk it up.

We aren't very real anymore.

Well done Boaky. I thought you played a true captains game when all around you guys were drowning in averageness, or worse.

Amon - OK, wasn't a good game but he was product of many other things, he's always going to be an icing player but if thats an icing players bad game it's not the end of the world. Motlop and our other alternatives usually in single figures disposals and a few clangers. 4/10

DBJ- if we had another matchup for Betts he'd be dropped instantly got smashed early and tried hard further up the ground but defensively poor all night. 1/10

Wines - only positive influence was him being the 1 in a 1,2. disposals resulted in clangers, pressured players or direct turnovers. 0/10 and one of worst 28disp games i've seen. that said, while it is becoming a pattern, he gets another chance.

SGray - should be a fact now, and it's hard to be too rough on HFF'ers on down nights but he exemplifies our beat up on the weak and go missing when required. he tries hard but really we just have to find a replacement 2/10

Butters - looked physically exhausted on some occasions. his running has seemed to drop over past few weeks, may need a rest but when he gets it still very creative 2/10

Well we learned a few home truths.

It's up to some specific players to decide what they stand for.

Please ken don't make the young players the whipping boy.

Westhoff your service is noted but you are cooked.

Marshall and Howard just aren't ready. Mentally. Fragile, no imposition. Exposed.

Wines well, this is career defining isn't it. Who are you, what are you. Decide what your career and Mark will be. We all have this moment in our lives. This is yours

Strangely, I liked lienert.

The rest myeh. Ryder we knew, lycett you too decide. Goal entitled to s shocker.

We had this. We truly did. But leadership failed us. Horrible decision making. We blew it. Then went to water again.

How we respond will define who we are I guess.

But that's groundhogday isn't it.

Will Dixon, Robbie, Bartlett, Jonas make a difference? We will see.

We were AGAIN outcoached in q1, then we turned it in q2, again. But blew it in q3 they changed it up.

I'd really like to know what's happening in the box.

Many truths were told today

Dumb slow and weak

Our forward line set ups are not good enough , need to bring Frampton and ladoms in , give Ryder a week off and then bring in mayes, motlop(maybe) Farrell and hopefully Jonas for lineart and drop wines well for anyone tbh

The era is one of disinterest disenchantment, punctuated by periodic bouts of intense pain, gutless blame apportionment, confusion, pathetic inaction, anger and staggering denial.

Johnny Warren about Australian soccer, particular the management between early 1980's and early 2000's, but changing one word I reckon it sums up a fair bit of the Hinkley era post October 2014, when the big moments come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not making excuses here because that first quarter was pathetic but just check out the age and experience differential ( especially games in the 50 to 149 bracket) and the numbers of their players who have just played in a GF.
Just a shame that a lot of the senior players we did have, let us down. 75067EBF-BB63-4C90-B29F-AB29D8BC6A51.jpeg

Don't you love it when you go on Facebook to constructively criticize your team's poor performance and 16 Sues, Carolyns and Margarets come steaming in telling you to stop picking on the players and just get behind the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back