Preview R9: Changes vs Port Adelaide - IN: Jetta, Viney OUT: Newton, Riley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzpatrick named in the forward line. Vandenberg named at centre. Interesting stuff.

Don't they just name people all over the shop? It's just a pisstake no one pays attention to, I thought.

Would be absolutely staggered if Misson has cleared Matt Jones to play one week after concussion.

With Ryder out for Port, us not leaving out Fitzy was poor coaching.

Don't they just name people all over the shop? It's just a pisstake no one pays attention to, I thought.

Yep, think Fitzy was named in forward pocket last week IIRC

Would be absolutely staggered if Misson has cleared Matt Jones to play one week after concussion.

I agree with horses for courses in principle but it is tough on the players.

I agree with horses for courses in principle but it is tough on the players.
It's tough, but life isn't easy. Odds are that we won't have a match up for him in defence, and he'll go forward and watch Hogan and Pedersen gobble it up. In short, he'll be dropped for poor performance.

People saying Newton's been stiff but apart from his 'potential' and the fact he couldn't get a game at Port (which looks less impressive every week) what qualities does he have that you wouldn't drop him for? Bail and Jones may have worse skills but we all know what Roos gameplan is about. Methinks Ben isn't hitting some sort of target somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

They probably found out Ryder isn't playing when the teams come out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People saying Newton's been stiff but apart from his 'potential' and the fact he couldn't get a game at Port (which looks less impressive every week) what qualities does he have that you wouldn't drop him for? Bail and Jones may have worse skills but we all know what Roos gameplan is about. Methinks Ben isn't hitting some sort of target somewhere.

Can kick a goal, but that's about it right now.

I like some of the things Newton can do but I guess the question is whether he does enough when he/we doesn't/don't have the footy. Riley is stiff as Dez! said. It's frustrating to see them dropped but the main thing is they respond positively.

The crux of it seems to be that Roos sees value in the defensive efforts of Bail and M Jones and we seem to have enough potency that we don't need to compromise defense against Port. M Jones admittedly did do a good job defensively against the Dogs, Bail I'm not so sure but he does put in despite his limitations.

It's tough, but life isn't easy. Odds are that we won't have a match up for him in defence, and he'll go forward and watch Hogan and Pedersen gobble it up. In short, he'll be dropped for poor performance.

Port are pretty short on for tall defenders so i dont think its that bad of a move if we do play him there. (Got a feeling he will either take Westoff or Schulz with TMac though)

If we do play him forward maybe Roos wants to use him as the ruck/forward this week and keep Pedo in the F50 with Hogan all game?

Newton can kick goals.

Bail and Jones showed last week that between them and in open space, they cannot.

IMO the success of Fitzpatrick down back (if he plays down back) will be fairly reliant on our midfielders pressuring the Port ball carriers.

If they have time to deliver it on a platter to a leading forward then Fitz will struggle. If we pressure them to kick quickly and thoughtlessly then Fitz comes into it as he reads the play well and has shown to be able to get in front for intercept marks.

Intriguing game this.

No K Cornes to tag one of our guys either. Having said that, Freo went up a notch without Crowley so its all about who they replace him with.

Newton's averaging a goal a game + 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, and wins at least half of his possessions contested. One of our better users of the football too.

Probably doesn't mean much for Fitzpatrick, but I thought it was more interesting for Vandenberg who I think started the season on the I/C on the team sheet, then moved to the forward pocket, and has now been named at centre two weeks in a row. Possibly recognition by the club that he is a bona fide midfielder/one of our most important mids.

Hey, i cant find the game day thread on your board for this game but im just dropping by to wish you guys good luck. It will be tight like these games usually are.

Pumped to see Viney running around again and pumped to see a fellow bottom club getting up off the canvas.

I'm surprised port left out Ryder with fitzy and the spencil tearing up the dogs. Hinkley is cracking. But seriously, can't wait til teams are trying to match us up.

You'd think jones will miss out with newton squeezing back in. I'm all for giving fitzy another run. Bloke was great on the weekend.

I'm surprised port left out Ryder with fitzy and the spencil tearing up the dogs. Hinkley is cracking. But seriously, can't wait til teams are trying to match us up.

You'd think jones will miss out with newton squeezing back in. I'm all for giving fitzy another run. Bloke was great on the weekend.

Ryder is out with an Achilles injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back