Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumping the gun as round 6 isn't finished but I am curious to see how teams are tracking for the season

Teams Going Up and Right
Adelaide
Carlton
Geelong
Gold Coast
GWS
North Melbourne

St. Kilda
Sydney

Teams Going Up and Left
Brisbane
Collingwood
Melbourne
West Coast

Teams Going Down and Right
Western Bulldogs

Teams Going Down and Left
Essendon
Fremantle
Hawthorn
Port Adelaide
Richmond

Bolded sides are in the 8.

12 teams more offensive. 9 teams more defensive.

Little bit of a furphy that one, the difficulty of the draw surely has to be reassessed post-season.

Out of the top 8 sides, we had 3 double ups against other top 8 sides, as did Freo. North/Adelaide/Richmond had 2. Hawthorn/Sydney/Dogs only had 1 return match against other finalists!

Replace our draw with anyone else's in that top 8 and we probably finish on at least as many wins as we had.

Your draw was "soft" because you weren't drawn to play many of the better teams twice (Dogs and Crows didn't make the finals in 04) and you are guaranteed two games against Fremantle irrespective where each side ends on the ladder, these are neutral games on a neutral venue. The top teams of 2014, excluding Fremantle, were Hawks, Swans, Geelong and Port, you only played those teams once and 3 out 4 were at home.

Who you play is a big factor, but where you play them and the amount of short breaks between games are also large factors.

Teams like Port, Geelong, etc where given much harder draws and probably fell short of making the finals because they had harder draws. We didn't have a particularly difficult 2015 fixture, but it was still rated the 6th most difficult last year, but it was pretty soft given we are typically given a top 4 in difficulty draw most seasons irrespective where we finish.

Yes I watch the game in its entirety. North were good, yes, but I was merely indicating that their large squiggle jump was because (prior to injuries) Western Bulldogs are rated as a good side. Both sides were very poor on the night and North were good enough to get the win. Kudos to them, you can only beat who you come up against. It will even out in due course.
We were owed a good squiggle move since we copped Adelaide first up in round 1 ;)

Wasn't even out coaching. Players just kept running the same execution over and over again, and when they had space and time, their skills were atrocious. Coaching players to play well under little to no pressure is something any coach with half a brain can do, but coaching teams like Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn to execute under pressure time and time again, well that just takes a little bit more.

As the old saying goes, when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Both teams made a lot of unforced errors, the Dogs more so than the Roos. At times it was painful to watch, but how easily they turned over the ball. They didn't make it easy on themselves with their gungho approach to the game, instead of controlling the tempo and dictating where the ball was delivered. I don't think Boyd makes a difference, but with their regular players in the side, the Dogs don't have to sacrifice around the ground to maintain their midfield dominance.
So if the opposition is playing poorly due to your teams pressure, that isnt outcoaching?
No team other than Hawthorn has won more finals in the last two years than North. We are 3-zip at the MCG in that time too. The doggies failed their only test last year.
They didnt gungho as much on Friday night with Lachy Hunter setting up their attacks. His metres gained for 44 possessions was atrocious. We were happy to let him get the ball because no damage was conceded. Thats good coaching IMO

So if the opposition is playing poorly due to your teams pressure, that isnt outcoaching?
No team other than Hawthorn has won more finals in the last two years than North. We are 3-zip at the MCG in that time too. The doggies failed their only test last year.
They didnt gungho as much on Friday night with Lachy Hunter setting up their attacks. His metres gained for 44 possessions was atrocious. We were happy to let him get the ball because no damage was conceded. Thats good coaching IMO

Sure, when you put it that way. Let's look since say... 2010. Hawthorn, Sydney and North have pretty similar teams in the last 5-6 seasons, so use that as a sample size, instead of just saying "Well, we made the prelim the last 2 years and were destroyed in both games..."

Rather lose in a semi than get totally embarrassed two years running in the prelims.

I would think decimating is a more accurate description of what happened.
If only you knew your latin....

There has only been one decimation in the last 100 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squiggle quadrants after round 6.

squigglerd6.jpg

Interesting after 6 rounds. Couple of teams in the top quadrant here not in the top four at the moment.

Will the Giants and Sydney sneak into to top quadrant?

From personal point of view, great to Carlton at the better side of 6 other sides on the defensive side of things.

The attack is not going to improve too much this year, would love to see us move into the defensive part of the squiggle where the big boys live.

Why? Hawks squiggle taking a nosedive as well? Are you going to enjoy watching footy now your era is done and dusted?
Hahaha its always enjoyable when teams write us off. Seems to make the GF wins that more pleasing.

So we've played every team in the current 8 except 2 teams. Draw is about to open right up for us. We were 4/4 last year.

Yes I am definitely going to continually enjoy watching this great team. In with a massive shout. You see our seasons starts in September. Traditionally a time when freo players and fans alike have booked their holidays after not making it or yet another predictable straight sets exit.

Wow 0-6. I'd ask you about your era but freo have never really had one..

Hahaha its always enjoyable when teams write us off. Seems to make the GF wins that more pleasing.

So we've played every team in the current 8 except 2 teams. Draw is about to open right up for us. We were 4/4 last year.

Yes I am definitely going to continually watch this great team. In with a massive shout. You see our seasons starts in September. Traditionally a time when freo players and fans alike have booked their holidays after not making it or yet another predictable straight sets exit.

Wow 0-6. I'd ask you about your era but freo have never really had one..
You should probably book a holiday in September and lower your expectations a little. The 4-peat is no chance. Extremely lucky to even be in the top 8 right now.

Cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back