Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a single trick pony in a world of fraudsters. If he was a car salesman he'd be s**t.

If he is rated as AA material id chew off my leg and feed it to my cat. There is no way in hell that he's better than Gray, let alone Wingard, McGlynn, Ballantyne, Motlop and a bunch other players I can't quite recall. They're all similar, play similar positions, and have similar impact on their team. However, I would pick everyone of those players before breust, because when the going gets tough, you need more than chicken s**t shirkers to stand up.
Bruest is an excellent player. Don't know what you're talking about.

He's a single trick pony in a world of fraudsters. If he was a car salesman he'd be s**t.

If he is rated as AA material id chew off my leg and feed it to my cat. There is no way in hell that he's better than Gray, let alone Wingard, McGlynn, Ballantyne, Motlop and a bunch other players I can't quite recall. They're all similar, play similar positions, and have similar impact on their team. However, I would pick everyone of those players before breust, because when the going gets tough, you need more than chicken s**t shirkers to stand up.

Sounds like your cat might be getting a decent dinner in a few months time....

You obviously have no idea. Breust leads non-tall forwards for goals kicked and he leads the league for goal assists. Not scoring assists or score involvements - goal assists. Good chance he touches the ball inside 50 and he either kicks a goal or he'll give it off to someone else who will. And as WWSD has pointed out he's stood up in all our biggest games so far this season.
Some of the goals he's scored have been just by standing in the goal square and having it kicked to him. I don't rate him higher than someone like Ballantyne or Lindsay Thomas for being able to win their own ball. Sure, he's accurate and he kicks goals, but he isn't someone who can go out, win his own ball, and tear another team apart.

He's a finisher through and through.

Some of the goals he's scored have been just by standing in the goal square and having it kicked to him. I don't rate him higher than someone like Ballantyne or Lindsay Thomas for being able to win their own ball. Sure, he's accurate and he kicks goals, but he isn't someone who can go out, win his own ball, and tear another team apart.

If that's what you think of him then you'd have to rate Jeremy Cameron with the same brush!

He was the #1 assist player at Hawthorn last year, he sets up a sh1t tonne of goals inside 50 with his ability to side-step and sneak through gaps. My biggest worry on him last year was his ability to finish in high-pressure situations (see vs Geelong in the prelim) and now he seems to have gotten over that.

You're entitled to your opinion but if you increased your sample size when it comes to Hawthorn games you'd quickly realise how wrong you are.

You clearly don't watch him at all. He's top 10 at Hawthorn for average contested possessions with only inside mids and Roughead ahead of him and 3rd for the team overall. He's right up there at Hawthorn for tackles (=4th for total, 9th for average) behind only some of our most frequent centre clearance and stoppage players.

Reply if you like I'm done arguing this with you now. Not only because this is off topic but because it is clear you have no idea. Even fellow Sydney supporters are telling you you're off the mark on this.

No one put up the tips for the Squiggles!

Richmond.png
Richmond 73 - 90 Sydney
Sydney.png

Port%20Adelaide.png
Port Adelaide 130 - 70 Western Bulldogs
Western%20Bulldogs.png

Hawthorn.png
Hawthorn 93 - 79 Collingwood
Collingwood.png

Gold%20Coast.png
Gold Coast 83 - 101 Geelong
Geelong.png

Essendon.png
Essendon 81 - 76 Adelaide
Adelaide.png

Fremantle.png
Fremantle 114 - 48 Brisbane Lions
Brisbane%20Lions.png

Greater%20Western%20Sydney.png
Greater Western Sydney 94 - 108 Carlton
Carlton.png

St%20Kilda.png
St Kilda 71 - 91 West Coast
West%20Coast.png

Melbourne.png
Melbourne 53 - 95 North Melbourne
North%20Melbourne.png

For North to move there this round, they need to beat Melbourne 152-32.

If they do that, the squiggle will also tip them to win the flag.
lmao thanks
So we need a repeat of the 2013 result for it to occur finally enough. We beat them 150-28 last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need some kind of form reversal from Melb for that to happen. You'll win but I think it'll be 20-30 points.
Im hoping for good North to show up and to just get the job done or atleast match the tip. Melbournes game against West Coast aside, theyve been right in the thick of all their games this year so Im hoping for a lul.

Fremantle now in a better defensive position than Sydney 05, massive move to the right today.

It goes without saying but if they win it from out there it'll go against the precedence over the preceding 20 years. If Fremantle make it to the GF again and lose surey questions must be asked about the supercoaches ability to win flags with his methods?

cant formulate a premiership off that, its a long season lol
Yep, although logically there must be one game that changes your mind from thinking a team won't win the flag to thinking they will. Obviously you'll have other results in mind as well, but it's the new information that tips you from leaning one way to the other.

The squiggle has been a fan of North Melbourne for about a year, and dismal at tipping them for the same period. Last year it thought they wound up the 4th best team, even though they missed finals. That was easy to understand: the Roos kept doing everything right except winning close games. This year they've been more inexplicable, defeating elite opposition in Sydney, Port Adelaide, and Fremantle while going down to middle-tier clubs in Essendon, Adelaide, and Gold Coast - all in 12 games! Maybe this unreliability is teething trouble from the change in game plan, as the Roos have clearly had a more defensive focus this year; I don't know. I just know they're hard to tip.

This raises an interesting question, though: how much information do you take from matches between flag contenders and bottom teams? I think most people would say there's a limit to what you can learn about the Roos' flag prospects today, no matter what they do. Because, no disrespect to the Dees, but what it takes to beat Melbourne by 20 goals may not even buy a win in September against Hawthorn, Sydney, Port Adelaide, or Fremantle. So no matter the result today, no-one is likely to install North as flag favourites.

But is this intelligence or bias? Maybe punters are too dismissive of results against lower teams. It's tempting to ignore bizarre results as irrelevant - statistical outliers - because there are too many matches to hold in your head and you need to reduce them down to a manageable set to make decisions. So maybe we write off upsets and thrashings too easily, and miss useful information. Historically, premiership teams don't just squeak out wins against other top sides; they also thrash lower-ranked teams.

The truth is probably in the middle: there is information in every result, but you shouldn't get too carried away with any single one.

One amusing consequence of the squiggle's willingness to get carried away is it's still open to the possibility of Greater Western Sydney winning the flag. I think no matter what happens in GWS vs Carlton today, no-one will change their top-8 predictions. But the squiggle is fully prepared to tip that GWS will win every match for the rest of the season, right up to and including the Grand Final, given the right result. And you can calculate exactly what it would take. To convince the squiggle that GWS will make finals, then win the flag (from 7th position), it needs to beat Carlton today 960 to 5.

Although, if they did kick 960 in a match I must admit I'd have to rethink everything I thought I knew about football, and probably would consider them a strong finals possibility if not a flag contender.

Think of the percentage.

To convince the squiggle that GWS will make finals, then win the flag (from 7th position), it needs to beat Carlton today 960 to 5.

Crap kicking from Carlton - 5 behinds from set shots inside 50, and 3 out on the full.

Cameron, on the other hand, is now a certainty for the Coleman. Take that Schulz!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back