Banter Random Discussion Thread 146 - Quinz still thinks he has a job

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

giphy.gif

Sequels which are done nearly a decade or more after the original tend to be s**t compared to the original

Anchorman
Anchorman 2

Zoolander
Zoolander 2

Dumb and Dumber
Dumb and Dumber to

It's why i'm not holding out much hope for the Avatar sequels if/when they come out.

Sequels which are done nearly a decade or more after the original tend to be s**t compared to the original

Anchorman
Anchorman 2

Zoolander
Zoolander 2

Dumb and Dumber
Dumb and Dumber to

It's why i'm not holding out much hope for the Avatar sequels if/when they come out.
Avatar 2 has taken so long for different reasons though, they were always planned to happen unlike those other examples.

Predatory social media algorithms, poor future prospects, social isolation and increased diagnosis --> mental illness is more common --> Response - It's gender or something? (Ok this one still doesn't make sense)
Like all your other points there's an industry that profits from the deception.

You're just missing which company is invested in this particular misinformation. In Australia there's a global entity worth an estimated $30 billion (local to Aust) that profits over the interest in traditional values.

Like all your other points there's an industry that profits from the deception.

You're just missing which company is invested in this particular misinformation. In Australia there's a global entity worth an estimated $30 billion (local to Aust) that profits over the interest in traditional values.
Whos that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whos that?
The Catholic Church is worth the estimated $30bil, but the religious industry as a whole benefits from having an us and them approach. If you can create an 'out' group folks will generally work to try and be included in the 'in' group.

The Catholic Church is worth the estimated $30bil, but the religious industry as a whole benefits from having an us and them approach. If you can create an 'out' group folks will generally work to try and be included in the 'in' group.
Yeah they have massive property holdings, very little in the way operating income though. Not sure what you mean by that being at odds to "traditional values" as most of Aus history was based heavily on the Christian tradition (minus the kiddy fiddling which needs more enforcement)

Yeah they have massive property holdings, very little in the way operating income though. Not sure what you mean by that being at odds to "traditional values" as most of Aus history was based heavily on the Christian tradition (minus the kiddy fiddling which needs more enforcement)
If you think about it at a simplistic level religion is a business that sells club memberships to listen to speeches, which customers assume the benefit of feeling good. It relies on a continued interest in those speeches (as listed in several variants of book) and community to maintain its holdings and influence (ie market share).

The response, or conspiracy theory, that it's gender or something outside of traditional religious values aims to push the customer back to the values and the speeches and community that minister them, as opposed to giving custom to the emerging industry (aka actual health care).

You can swap the old industry from religion to fossil fuel, the product from feeling good to energy, and the emerging industry from health care to renewables, and lo and behold you get yourself a new conspiracy theory that renewables cost more or kill birds, or coal is clean or whatever.

Basically most misinformation or conspiracy theories are borne from those with influence attempting to maintain that influence.

If you think about it at a simplistic level religion is a business that sells club memberships to listen to speeches, which customers assume the benefit of feeling good. It relies on a continued interest in those speeches (as listed in several variants of book) and community to maintain its holdings and influence (ie market share).

The response, or conspiracy theory, that it's gender or something outside of traditional religious values aims to push the customer back to the values and the speeches and community that minister them, as opposed to giving custom to the emerging industry (aka actual health care).

You can swap the old industry from religion to fossil fuel, the product from feeling good to energy, and the emerging industry from health care to renewables, and lo and behold you get yourself a new conspiracy theory that renewables cost more or kill birds, or coal is clean or whatever.

Basically most misinformation or conspiracy theories are borne from those with influence attempting to maintain that influence.
Wait i'm going to need a while to process this, so the church is pushing intersectionality to influence people back into it's rank so it can use its money to prop up the fossil fuel industry and deny new markets in health care and renewables?

Wait i'm going to need a while to process this, so the church is pushing intersectionality to influence people back into it's rank so it can use its money to prop up the fossil fuel industry and deny new markets in health care and renewables?
Totally. You've nailed it.

I really shouldn't have tried to equate two different industries in the one post.

Last edited:
Except for the fight scene
When I rewatched that scene not long ago it occurred to me just how many big names are in there. Will Smith, Amy Poehler, Vince Vaughn, Harrison Ford, Kanye, Liam Neeson, Jim Carey, Sacha Barren Cohen, even Kirsten Dunst pops up in there. It’s ******* wild.

RSLWA going back to the 50's by banning Welcome to the country and Aboriginal flag on Anzac day.

Wonder who thought that was good idea.
Yes that certainly raised my eyebrows when I read that today.

Will end well I am sure

Anchorman
Anchorman 2

Zoolander
Zoolander 2

Dumb and Dumber
Dumb and Dumber to

Doctor Sleep turned out pretty well. It leaned a bit too hard into The Shining references but was a great story regardless. McGregor was, as they say, tremendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back