Random discussion thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

My mother-in-law worked on part of the project for the government.

Let's say she was disgusted by it, and the whole process, and said during the consultancy phase, 'the whole project is extremely flawed'. She also went onto say that the power that this thing sucks up is monumental, and that we'd all be paying for it for a very long time. Some devil in the contract's detail about the state being obliged to pay a certain amount per year for 30 years even if the thing is never used.

On a connected note: I'm reading this whole 'we're on a retail strike' thing and just shaking my head. The majority of Australians are poor; what was the middle class is now chained to mortgages and soaring bills. There is no 'extra money' for many people, and these people once had it.

I maybe a prophet of doom, or I may just be Cassandra, but I reckon we're standing on a precipicee right now. While people might be saving, the average debt profiles is way too high, especially since wages have nowhere near kept pace with fundamentals like mortgage payments, and the cost of living. It's not going to take much to bring the whole over-inflated house of cards down, especially since all our economic eggs are all in the very small mining basket. Interesting times ahead, I believe.

Also interested in your thoughts, GH.

Well, I have strong thoughts in this issue, obviously.

Its a public private partnership, and I can tell you it is a complex structure. I cannot disclose the details obviously as I am too close to the issue and have been accused of 'leaks' previously. The outlay annually to Aquasure by the Victorian government is huge, for a long time into the future whether or not we need the water.

This contract will effect us all, now and in future, and frankly there were better and cheaper options, no matter if it rained or not. Mithell Dam my friends.

The young Australian Rugby team were mauled tonight by a far superior more experience All Black side. The 'All Blacks' are clearly the favourites for the upcoming world cup. Not all is lost for the Aussies, they were outplayed in the first 40minutes and they did well to get back to within 13pts, but the 'All Blacks' had the game under control.

New article on Huffington Post about Roswell.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/roswell-ufo-cover-up_n_904039.html

r-ROSWELL-NEWSPAPER-large570.jpg

Keeping with the space theme Grizz, what are your thoughts on whether or not man actually landed on the moon.

I'm a bit of a skeptic purely from two point of view.

1. The technology that was available at the time.

2. NASA can't even seem to get a craft into space consistently during the past 10 years despite the technology we currently have at our disposal.

Interesting one to throw open for debate.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]There's plenty more questions than that, Hank.

Further more, the big one. "when we got there.....was there already someone else there?"

There's plenty of crackpots who suggest that we've not gone back by choice alone.

[YOUTUBE]XlkV1ybBnHI[/YOUTUBE]

James Lovell from Apollo 8 was the famous one.

Here's a pithy overview of the classic moon theories.

And wasn't Kubrick supposed to have 'directed' the moon landing as it happened at almost the same time as filming 2001?

And NASA were supposed to have supplied him with special lenses yadda yadda.

Then Stanley, according to some arch conspiracy nuts, actually encoded the confession in his film The Shining.

Find that here.

Any of you two read that recent book, Area 51? Contrary to the image the name brings up it's actually about the history of the stealth bomber and such planes. Good read, yet some implausible bits in there.

James Lovell from Apollo 8 was the famous one.

Here's a pithy overview of the classic moon theories.

And wasn't Kubrick supposed to have 'directed' the moon landing as it happened at almost the same time as filming 2001?

And NASA were supposed to have supplied him with special lenses yadda yadda.

Then Stanley, according to some arch conspiracy nuts, actually encoded the confession in his film The Shining.

Find that here.

Any of you two read that recent book, Area 51? Contrary to the image the name brings up it's actually about the history of the stealth bomber and such planes. Good read, yet some implausible bits in there.

Interesting....

I mean, the journalist after using Occam's Razor as a principle the whole book to explain all aerial phenomenon as above top secret test aircraft, then proceeds to spin the most convoluted theory to explain the Roswell crash. It goes like this...

Stalin was so inspired by Orson Welles' War of the Worlds broadcast he literally wanted to do the same thing to America as a psychological 'attack'.

Joseph Stalin smuggled Mengle out of Germany and into Russia before the end of WW2 to 'engineer' some Jewish children into aliens. Using the knowledge he gained in his inumane experiments conducted at Auschitz, he turned children into living alien-like life forms. He expanded their skulls, stunted their growth, did weird s**t to their eyes, then somehow muted them yadda yadda. Mengle was a sick puppy but give me a break, he wasn't literally Dr Frankenstein more like a demented torturer. Anyway, they were Stalin's 'alien crew'. Once Mengle had made the crew, Stalin smuggled him back into Germany so he could escape to Argentina.

Now, there were these two genius Nazi brothers who designed a flying saucer that used elecro-magnetic propulsion... and , yes, you guessed it, Stalin had them build a saucer for this child/alien crew. And then a trailing place flew the saucer by remote control over New Mexico and crashed it in Roswell. The Americans then went into over-drive in fear of the aliean threat etc etc, but they eventually reverse-engineered the electro-magnetic technology.

Don't know about you but I find the whole crashed alien spacecraft so much more plausible, and, ironically enough, a better fit for Occam's Razor than the one the author pitches. Worth reading though as a history of the Stealth Bomber and the like.

Doing some research on things that go viral on the internet.

Here's the classic 'video resume' of Aleksey Vayner, infamously known as 'Impossible is nothing'.

"It was his first face-to-face meeting with a reporter since an 11-page application and elaborate video clip that he submitted to securities firm UBS showed up on two blogs, and then quickly spread to every corner of the Internet. The clip, staged to look like a job interview spliced with shots of Mr. Vayner’s athletic prowess, flooded e-mail inboxes across Wall Street and eventually appeared on the video-sharing site YouTube. And the overwhelming reaction was mocking laughter."

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/the-resume-mocked-round-the-world-vayner-speaks/

[YOUTUBE]6YHS8wc4b0c[/YOUTUBE]

It's an absolute pisser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I resigned from my Union today.

I closed the letter...

I would prefer to give myself a 1% increase by no longer having to pay for the privilege of being strung along and then ultimately let down.

A decade of paying $40 a month to a Paper Tiger.

I resigned from my Union today.

I closed the letter...

I would prefer to give myself a 1% increase by no longer having to pay for the privilege of being strung along and then ultimately let down.

A decade of paying $40 a month to a Paper Tiger.

Bit like health insurance really.

Good advice me thinks.

image-4.jpg

That is gold!

That's hilarious, one of my staff was crying today, I say "lets have a chat", I take her for a coffee.

She is absolutely beautiful, slim and tall and malay.

She says

"I just broke up with my fiance"

She says, I fell asleep last night in bed, I awoke at midnight and found him watching a 'home video' of him having sex with his X, if that was not bad enough, he was masturbating to the 'video'.

She says, that was the last straw.

Should I have said "I guess you should have knocked?"

Instead I have make up on my shirt and I am answering questions upon my return home!

That is gold!

That's hilarious, one of my staff was crying today, I say "lets have a chat", I take her for a coffee.

She says

She says, I fell asleep last night in bed, I awoke at midnight and found him watching a 'home video' of him having sex with his X, if that was not bad enough, he was masturbating to the 'video'.

Instead I have make up on my shirt and I am answering questions upon my return home!

Yep, she should have knocked. That's the answer to all of life's problems.

That is gold!

She says

Was she hot?

In stitches here. That John Hopaote guy - ex rugby guy who used to shove his finger up people's bums when tackling, and who Roy & HG used to call 'Double knuckle' - is on tv now. He's starting a career as a prize fighter.

Reporter: "he's turning his hand to something dirtier"

John: "this suits me better, I like to play dirty"

And on it went. Who would be stupid enough to get into a caged ring with that guy? Got dates on the brain.

280889-daniel-morcombe.jpg

I haven't been able to get the Daniel Morcombe murder out of my head tonight. It's welcome news that they've charged some sick fracker with his murder, but I feel extremely sad now that it appears the case is on the verge of being solved, and potentially a body found. That poor boy, his poor parents. We all knew he wasn't coming home.

Every time I've seen Daniel's picture over the last 8 years, I've been haunted by it. Where was he? What happened? Why do people do these sorts of things? Just taken and snuffed out for the satisfaction of someone, his family left not knowing. Just awful.

And then there are his parents. God, I admire his parents - the worst possible nightmare unfolds, and is played out for 8 years - for their courage, resolve and refusal to let the case die before they knew how their son died. I can't comprehend the hurt, sadness and anger they must have gone through/still have, but to not only fight for the case to be kept 'active' but to also devote their lives to educating children of abduction dangers is just incredible.

To read the transcripts of the sick deviants who were called up for the coronial inquest and the way they 'confessed' or dobbed each other in for Daniel's murder was chilling. But I can barely comprehend how Daniel's parents felt, to see their dear son reduced to this base object by these reprehensible scum, but to be no closer to the goal they were seeking. And some form of peace.

Until today.

I actually have tears typing this. It's so so, so sad, yet they are so inspiring, especially the love for their son. I hope they get the peace they deserve.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what Anna Bligh put so succinctly: the love for their son, and their efforts to benefit the wider community from this tragedy is truly inspirational.

Well put Grizz.

Saw the episode on Australian Story a couple of years ago and I tierd?? up.

Really felt for the family.

Just think he would be around 21 now (sad face)

Well said so sad. Really puts things into perspective doesn't it. Grizz that was a great post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back