Discussion Random Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
With interest rates so low, Now is the time to borrow for infrastructure projects.

The flow on effects to the economy and government coffers will be enormous.

If they want a double effect, they should look at spending on renewables and associated infrastructure.

Drastically reducing the input costs of power will be the productivity game changer.

The only issue with taking more renewables into homes means less spread the costs of upkeep and upgrades o the network. They need huge government energy projects that keep the infrastructure in government hands. At the moment they build it and give it away pretty much free to power companies to profit from. A really sensibly energy policy would help with non government investment so that we don't have to do it all.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I reckon Trump is trodding on any shoots the markets put up with his trade wars and posturing. He's uncertainty and instability personified. His erratic diplomacy means the rest of the world feel his ripple effect too.
Yeh he’s funny and talks some rubbish, China is paying huge hahah. He’s playing to his crowd but in reality he’s quite measured in his responses to important matters. The US couldn’t just keep letting China walk all over them, that had to end. Yep it’s inevitable that we’ll feel the heat but in reality he’s the US president and you can’t please everyone.

I’m still not a fan but really after the muller investigation and his appearances if people haven’t caught on to the democrats scam then they never will. I’d be more worried about what the Clinton campaign, the previous administration plus the FBI have pulled. Really should be a never again moment for the US but my god the press are so divided and partisan it’s a real worry and not just in the US.

Last edited:

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
The only issue with taking more renewables into homes means less spread the costs of upkeep and upgrades o the network. They need huge government energy projects that keep the infrastructure in government hands. At the moment they build it and give it away pretty much free to power companies to profit from. A really sensibly energy policy would help with non government investment so that we don't have to do it all.
My eldest is an industry analyst, he’s currently writing a report including predictions for the energy sector for the next twelve months. It’s limited in scope and based largely on data collected from the industry in the previous year but interesting enough.

I'm seriously looking at running as an independent at the next election.

Instead of "keep the bastardy honest",my slogan will be "put the bastards in their place"...

Get pluggs to run your social media accounts. Put me in charge of immigration. We’ll fix it. And if it don’t need fixing we’ll break it.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Home made.

200g beef mince. Not lean. Needs fat content.

Caremlised onions.

Melted cheddar on top.

Blue cheese burger melts on bottom.

Lettuce and tomato.

Pickle on the side.

Tommy sauce or if you don't like blue cheese, grab some Coles special burger sauce.

Home made chips...

Parboil the spuds. Let them.cool.

Mix in melted butter. Season and bake in the oven.

Pickled beetroot on the side.

nitewalker13

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
For all the Matrix fans, WB just confirmed the fourth instalment of the movie with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-anne Moss.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm looking for a book, seems easy doesn't it? Thousands of the little buggers out there must be one I like! This though is a book I know nothing about but am hoping someone here might have an idea.

Thirty years ago I bought Norman Dixon's On the Psychology of Military Incompetence, which deals with the failings of authoritarian leadership, and while the author used the military as his example, that was because when military leaders get decision making wrong tens even hundreds of thousands of people can die where in business someone goes broke and people lose jobs and in academia well, who knows the difference.

The basic premise being that authoritarians suffer from poor decision making and in the fog of war their ability to recognise the most important facts and their ability to implement timely and best decisions undermined by their personality.

In the intervening years I've seen his ideas validated time and again in business and sport, the end point though is that his book deals with leadership not the whole organisation, in the military of course authoritarian behaviour is it's very existence, there's a lot of it around, he does talk a little about second in command that while excellent 2IC fail miserable as the boss and anti authoritarian 2IC that are perceived to be trouble are a lot better bets to make the step up.

A lot of the traits of authoritarians are the traits of elite sportsmen, (and curiously ballet dancers) motivated by fear of failure, micro managers, disciplinarian with themselves and others, inability to empathise with lesser team mates, obsessed with their achievement, love training of more than the actual competition, etc. etc. etc.

Does anyone know of a book expanding on those ideas, seeing how to apply them or ideas like them not just to the individual but also to structuring a sporting team or a complete club?

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
How many of you have a swimming pool in your garden, like in the old opening credits to neighbours? When I was a kid, Neighbours was the most glamorous thing in the world, when growing up under Thatcher and nobody in our part of Britain had a job, never mind a swimming pool! Neighbours was an obsession over here in the late eighties, when we only had four TV channels, pre-internet and pre-mobile phones.

How many of you have a swimming pool in your garden, like in the old opening credits to neighbours? When I was a kid, Neighbours was the most glamorous thing in the world, when growing up under Thatcher and nobody in our part of Britain had a job, never mind a swimming pool! Neighbours was an obsession over here in the late eighties, when we only had four TV channels, pre-internet and pre-mobile phones.

Having had pools in the past, never again. You clean them more than you swim in them in Melbourne. Good when you're a kid though.

I'm looking for a book, seems easy doesn't it? Thousands of the little buggers out there must be one I like! This though is a book I know nothing about but am hoping someone here might have an idea.

Thirty years ago I bought Norman Dixon's On the Psychology of Military Incompetence, which deals with the failings of authoritarian leadership, and while the author used the military as his example, that was because when military leaders get decision making wrong tens even hundreds of thousands of people can die where in business someone goes broke and people lose jobs and in academia well, who knows the difference.

The basic premise being that authoritarians suffer from poor decision making and in the fog of war their ability to recognise the most important facts and their ability to implement timely and best decisions undermined by their personality.

In the intervening years I've seen his ideas validated time and again in business and sport, the end point though is that his book deals with leadership not the whole organisation, in the military of course authoritarian behaviour is it's very existence, there's a lot of it around, he does talk a little about second in command that while excellent 2IC fail miserable as the boss and anti authoritarian 2IC that are perceived to be trouble are a lot better bets to make the step up.

A lot of the traits of authoritarians are the traits of elite sportsmen, (and curiously ballet dancers) motivated by fear of failure, micro managers, disciplinarian with themselves and others, inability to empathise with lesser team mates, obsessed with their achievement, love training of more than the actual competition, etc. etc. etc.

Does anyone know of a book expanding on those ideas, seeing how to apply them or ideas like them not just to the individual but also to structuring a sporting team or a complete club?

No, but that book sounds good. A lot of military incompetence comes from the aristocracy having a right to govern and rule in the past. They would send their kids to the war room while the poor sent theirs as fodder.

My cousin did officer training in the airforce and started when he was 16, he ran away from it as soon as he'd done his training. He seemed to think they weren't much better now. He's a smart guy and smart guys generally don't enjoy the idea of military of any kind so you get psychopaths and politically motivated types taking all the high positions.

Some interesting comparisons to sports administration. Lots of boards are stacked with successful business men who are not risk averse, lawyers who are risk averse and entrepreneurs who are impatient. You get a kind of mix of incompatible personality types and the hardest ones bully opinion over the others. Probably a similar thing occurs in administration of any kind really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back