Moved Thread Rank the Melbourne suburbs

Remove this Banner Ad

its not at all a suburb

I agree. Already concede that. It is a locality where the MCG is but not a suburb. I only listed it by simply pasting off my ticket for weekend where the MCG itself has their address located and they list it as in Jolimont on it which caught my eye when saw this thread so pasted it from my email for the ticket. But looking on an actual map later it is clear Jolimont is not a suburb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess it weird looking back as a kid that Fitzroy played in St.Kilda suburb at the Junction Oval and St.Kilda played in Moorabin and no one played in suburb of Fitzroy.

Meanwhile Hawthorn were a co-tenant in Carlton and South Melbourne started playing in Sydney...lol

I live in Essendon and love the place. Heaps of places to eat and shop, you have Keilor Road, Moonee Ponds, Highpoint, DFO, and the airport all a short drive away, pubs everywhere.

As far as livability goes it's probably the best suburb of the lot.

I really hate Collingwood. It's an overpriced and depressing shithole. The Richmond-Abbottsford-Collingwood triangle of scum.
+1

I live here too.

Essendon is one of the most elite suburbs of the north. Cafes, parks, shops, accessibility, public transport. Hard to fault.

+1

I live here too.

Essendon is one of the most elite suburbs of the north. Cafes, parks, shops, accessibility, public transport. Hard to fault.
What I hate about Essendon is people say stuff like this about it and severely overrate it.

Like yeah it's relatively close to the city, it's pretty safe, a few things around. But it's not one of the best suburbs in the whole northern area of Melbourne.

You can't even really walk to Brunswick to go to a proper pub from there. It's a good $30 uber to the city. I wouldn't even say the cafés are particularly good – they're like a country town's idea of trendy. By no means bad but barely some burgeoning area. Union Road has a bit of that and even then it's pretty much only come in the last 12 months.

Essendon is a pretty good area but people act like it's up there with Fitzroy North or something, like some neighbourly little enclave close to some happening suburb. It's depressing to think it's a mil to get a house. Like it isn't that much more to buy/rent in Flemington to Kensington which are way better. Moonee Ponds has a way better main strip too even. In fact when I thought parks I thought Queen's Park, which is Moonee Ponds. When I thought shops I thought the shopping centre near and the whole of Puckle Street. It's splitting hairs but you know.

What I hate about Essendon is people say stuff like this about it and severely overrate it.

Like yeah it's relatively close to the city, it's pretty safe, a few things around. But it's not one of the best suburbs in the whole northern area of Melbourne.

You can't even really walk to Brunswick to go to a proper pub from there. It's a good $30 uber to the city. I wouldn't even say the cafés are particularly good – they're like a country town's idea of trendy. By no means bad but barely some burgeoning area. Union Road has a bit of that and even then it's pretty much only come in the last 12 months.

Essendon is a pretty good area but people act like it's up there with Fitzroy North or something, like some neighbourly little enclave close to some happening suburb. It's depressing to think it's a mil to get a house. Like it isn't that much more to buy/rent in Flemington to Kensington which are way better. Moonee Ponds has a way better main strip too even. In fact when I thought parks I thought Queen's Park, which is Moonee Ponds. When I thought shops I thought the shopping centre near and the whole of Puckle Street. It's splitting hairs but you know.
Get what you mean, and opinions are always gonna differ, but I find it hard to fault.

Its proximity to the city (about 8kms), is a huge win IMO. Hm, dunno if an Uber would cost that much but I'll take your word for it. You could just jump on a train though and be there in 20 minutes on the other hand. Public transport a big plus as well. Trains, trams and plenty of bus stops around.

I like quite a few of the cafes - Max's Corner, Jolly Miller, Andy's Place to name a few.

Houses are so expensive cos of the land. The blocks are ******* enormous. It's technically Strathmore, but go down Woodland St and the blocks are gigantic.

We do all our shopping at Moonee Ponds cos there's Aldi/Coles/Safeway all within a close proximity. We go to that Coles on Mt Road if we're really desperate and can't be ****ed going that little bit further.

Another big plus is the demographic.

Each to their own though at the end of the day.

Essendon elite? It's certainly upper middle and lower upper class. But elite is stretching it. If it didn't share a name with an AFL team half of Melbourne wouldn't know it exists. By the way, are Parkville and Carlton not northern anymore?

Lol that Coles? That one that used to be Bi-Lo.

Terrible store.
Yes. THAT Coles. The ******* worst.

Essendon elite? It's certainly upper middle and lower upper class. But elite is stretching it. If it didn't share a name with an AFL team half of Melbourne wouldn't know it exists. By the way, are Parkville and Carlton not northern anymore?
This side of the city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back