Autopsy Rd 12 Lacklustre Blues Break Our Hearts Again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Eagles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pardon the interruption. Does anyone have an update on how Nic Newman is? Looked to be a terrible concussion incurred putting his body on the line.

Newman is a heart and soul team player and was a favourite in Sydney with other players and many fans.

I know I’m going to be unpopular here for continuing to bring this up but I don’t get the constant love for JSOS.
Drops marks, is slow and doesn’t convert.
He’s passionate and committed no doubt - but aren’t we beyond giving out awards for trying hard?

I’m the same. I think he is a good decision maker but outside of that he is a battler. Even someone like McGovern lays as many tackles and has as many pressure acts too. One thing all supporters would love about him though is you can never question his effort. He has had a fairly interrupted couple of years though so hopefully he has improvement in him.

Mostly talking about how terrible our defense is and that the players look like they don’t know what our brand is. Mostly the obvious stuff that they don’t seem to get
Thanks and great to see you back on the forum :)

Good thing I have an amazing brisket waiting to be sliced after 9 hrs cooking and 2 hrs resting. This club kills me.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Update on this: the brisket was incredible.

Life hack:
Have something else to look forward to on game day so when the blues let you down it's not as bad.

I’m not a fan of what Teague is doing on the field but I also think people are just looking at every problem and putting it on him.
I mean people have been calling for us to give our young players an opportunity in the midfield. We done that yesterday and totally sacrificed Curnow in doing so. This was always going to have a negative effect on the side atleast in the short term. We dropped Cas.
We probably shouldn’t have brought Murphy back but I’ll bet that he isn’t playing again next week. We gave him a kick up the arse he didn’t respond, it was well worth it IMO and atleast we now know not much is going to change.
Newnes only played because he was a sub which is a role players like Newnes and Gibbons should be playing.
The problem is that Setterfield and Dow for instance were always expected to make us a better side not be role players. They were playing midfield and getting smashed. I hate our game day coaching but if you are getting smashed in the midfield you’re not going to win games. Cripps is now only a handy player so until he gets back to where he was Teague is working with the worst midfield in the league.
cottrell is another who will probably be dropped but it’s almost like he is treated as if he isn’t a kid. He has been in the system a year less then Dow and LOB. He earned his spot and got a really good crack at it. Just like people have been asking for our young kids to get.
Murphy atm is the only questionable selection atm in terms of looking to the future. 1 spot out of 22 and I imagine that will change next week.

Yep, one thing I will say is Teague is trying to do what we have wanted for a while and give young players more responsibility in the middle and put senior players on notice for not performing.

The problem is the group and gameplan was already so fractured this is actually creating more issues. For that 10% lift in effort we’re compromising some of the certainty we had going forward.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Troll?

Okay, no one in their right mind would say Teague doesn't need help, but to put a guy on the pay roll as an advisor/Mentor to Teague who lives in a different state, doesn't watch or attend training sessions, doesn't know the players or what makes them tick, that's a troll.

It has to be up there with the other dumb decision when we appointed a part time coach of our VFL team.

We don't have enough players at the level required. But with that said effort is not talent its desire.
And there is enough talent to be banging at the 8 at least.
Sports players almost always have desire to win or at least do personal best so.....
Why does our team look like they dont have that?
That is the key question.

Troll?

Okay, no one in their right mind would say Teague doesn't need help, but to put a guy on the pay roll as an advisor/Mentor to Teague who lives in a different state, doesn't watch or attend training sessions, doesn't know the players or what makes them tick, that's a troll.

It has to be up there with the other dumb decision when we appointed a part time coach of our VFL team.
Exactly
Your post looks like you thought it was great. How about some clue you were being ironic. We aren't mind readers. (Clearly I 'm not anyway... :D)

We don't have enough players at the level required. But with that said effort is not talent its desire.
And there is enough talent to be banging at the 8 at least.
Sports players almost always have desire to win or at least do personal best so.....
Why does our team look like they dont have that?
That is the key question.
My guess has two key parts that both fall back on the same person and group of people, they don't enjoy playing the game and they don't believe in the gameplan. Motivation across all industries is part of a managers job, Teague is the manager of the team.

Employing an external football adviser/observer that isn’t living in the bubble is a sensible initiative, as long as that person is honest and is reporting to the board and CEO.

If the football department gets too insular it can turn into a self-preservation mindset which is no good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SCG is the smallest ground and because of this we should of fielded a midfield that could lock the ball in and force the contested possession. We are top 5 at it and West Coast are bottom 5.

Murphy, Setterfield and Fish have their strengths but I would have gone Curnow, Williams and Jsos on rotation. As far as ins and outs LOB and SPS would of provided far more penetration into forward 50 IMO and be less of a liability defensively as the ground could be covered easier due to its size.
i remember a few years back jsos played a great game in the middle at the scg so good call

I know I’m going to be unpopular here for continuing to bring this up but I don’t get the constant love for JSOS.
He’s passionate and committed no doubt - but aren’t we beyond giving out awards for trying hard?

For a bloke lauded on here as the best thing since slice bread, he doesnt do enough or hit the scorebaord enough. No doubting his effort and work rate, up there in the best at the club in those areas. Is a smart player and usually does something when he get sit. But he doesnt get it enough, doesnt mark the ball enough and misses very gettable goals. Im not saying he shouldnt be playing, but he just needs to do more, along with about 15 others every week.

My guess has two key parts that both fall back on the same person and group of people, they don't enjoy playing the game and they don't believe in the gameplan. Motivation across all industries is part of a managers job, Teague is the manager of the team.
Yes Teague is....and the buck stops there as they say

But that doesnt answer why we have been that way for 20 odd years.
No Mongrel basically.
Succesive coaches unable to instill any hardness at all.

I also felt that we seemed to have made a conscious effort to keep Ed out of the centre bounces and think it was a mistake. The last season of Bolton as coach should have proved that if Ed is in the team he is in the guts on the oppos best. Almost looks like the coach is listening to the experts on BF.

It was another square peg - round hole scenario. Move someone to another position to let others fill a role. He needs to stop doing it. Either Ed plays mid or he doesnt play at all. If you wat to give the 'kids' a crack then drop Ed (or someone else) - or rotate them through the middle a bit more. We seem to want 4 or 5 minds at most, go to 6 or 7 rotating.

I’m the same. I think he is a good decision maker but outside of that he is a battler. Even someone like McGovern lays as many tackles and has as many pressure acts too. One thing all supporters would love about him though is you can never question his effort. He has had a fairly interrupted couple of years though so hopefully he has improvement in him.

Modern game is contested ball - he almost never - ever loses a contest, is a good mark, clean in play. JSOS is one of the last ones I would question - is absolutely essential to the team and people only realise this when he is out - like Plow - wrongly maligned by people not understanding the game or his role and looking at surface "fluff" characteristics.

He isn't a clean mover like his old man - stuff is flying everywhere - but he is without doubt one of our most effective.

Looks can be deceiving.

Is it true that at his exit interview with the Board SOS told them that we have the worst coaches in the League?

I know you're probably just fishing for a reaction here, and as Blue Healer said, how would any of us know?

BUT, I got the impression when SOS said upon exiting that 2021 is a very important year for the club, that he thinks something is not right with the coaching. He obviously believed we underachieved last year.

Realistically, we have 2 scenarios for where we currently are:
1) SOS has stuffed his draft picks apart from the talls, and we lack the talent to take us anywhere soon. Rebuild has essentially failed to this point.
2) SOS (and Austin) have drafted well enough for us to be playing significantly better, but the coaching is not up to it.

Which is it? SOS clearly believes it is not number 1. Of course he has a vested interest in thinking like that, but he also has access to a lot of inside info. enabling an informed opinion.

If 1) is correct then we have more years of pain ahead. We can't know for certain that 2) is the reason, but there is only one way to find out.

Regardless of game plan, yesterday was a soul-less display. Weakened opponent, chance to go into the bye with a genuine belief that finals were still a chance, but where was the intensity? Too many players "cruised" in that game. s**t tackle count. The players just didn't want that as much as most of us do. Sadly, some of the ones that did are just bumbling liabilities in a skill sense.

I don't want to see another coach gone for the sake of it, but there is every chance we just got this one wrong from the start, like Richmond did when Gieschen was appointed off a honeymoon caretaker period.

I only watch one footy show these days as i like the analyses, First Crack on Fox Footy. All Carlton supports should watch tonights first segment, absolutely spot on in whats wrong.
Agree. Must watch for me too. I loathe your club but geez you were impressive satd'y nite.

It's a sad state of affairs when trying hard DOES actually make you stand out from a lot of your teammates. I think if he had a few more around him going as hard as he does, he'd be able to tidy up some of the fixable stuff by having more time with the ball.

Realistically, we have 2 scenarios for where we currently are:
1) SOS has stuffed his draft picks apart from the talls, and we lack the talent to take us anywhere soon. Rebuild has essentially failed to this point.
2) SOS (and Austin) have drafted well enough for us to be playing significantly better, but the coaching is not up to it.

not the draft picks.

SOS and co went with the right approach and picked the midfielders after building our spine. unfortunately the development is not there - Dow, SPS, Setterfield (who SOS bid before SPS) and LOB.

Teague for most of the time as no faith in the young players apart from Walsh and JSOS.

we have the list to contend for the 8 and we must maximise this.

Life hack:
Have something else to look forward to on game day so when the blues let you down it's not as bad.
Have done this many times. Unfortunately you need to start early in the morning, and beer and brisket smoking go a little too well together. I generally end up remembering very little about the football or the brisket. Kinda wish I'd have done it yesterday tho, so that match wasn't burned into my memory.

Life hack:
Absolutely.
Getting stuck into a series on SBS called 'Beforeigners'.
Very entertaining.
Plus delicious fresh pasta with chicken and artichoke meatballs last nite.
Yum!
Can't wait 'til we get a change of coaching staff and Murph retires. Plenty to look forward to.
Always!

Last edited:
Back