Autopsy Rd 13 Blues eclipse the Suns by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Gibb's game yesterday even have been possible last year? For the first time the team is sharing the load in the midfield. A free Gibbs is a very damaging player. Why would we ever let him leave- just when the pieces are coming together?
Geelong game last year he was huge as well, he was vomiting after the game. Great form

Fair criticism is fair and his kicking for goal was atrocious last night.

Don't understand throwing the baby out with the bathwater on the back of one bad kicking effort. Some of the criticism and calls to never play him again were OTT. You will not get that attack on the ball and opposition from any other player on the list. We will have to live with his limitations until we find someone better.

8 seasons of unsuccessful attempts suggest he might be an important player for the club that is hard to replace, despite his limitations.

Wise words from our resident alien antihero...

a good win. Better than the week before, in my opinion. Against GWS it was like we had the gods smiling on us (GWS injuries, playing in Melbourne, coming off the bye, etc.), but we made our own luck against Gold Coast.

One thing to keep an eye on will be the game against Brisbane in late July. Unless something funny happens, it will be the first time our young team have entered a game as favourites. That's important, and it's a big test. I often thought the mentally fragile Ratten-era teams played better as underdogs rather than favourites. Let's see how our young bulls go when they're at short odds.

Sure, but how would Jack, Charlie, Wrighty and Lamb go if Casboult was not playing?
I think we would go very badly without Casboult playing.

Sure, you can defend his contribution to the team and other aspects of his game, and I never said he shouldn't be playing, but it'd be foolish to say that his kicking accuracy was anywhere near where it needed to be last night.

On Suns board earlier tonight, they are complaining that the Victorian umpires were cheats and biased towards us throughout the game. Probably travelling home with the team on the same flight, sipping chardonnay etc with the team. How idiotic and naïve and childish are those Suns supporters?:cool:

Haven't watched the game back yet but I recall on live viewing Charlie's first quarter was really good got to a lot of contests and was all over the ground, looked to tire as the game went on but once he builds a few pre-seasons of fitness together he'll be doing that all game

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would Gibb's game yesterday even have been possible last year? For the first time the team is sharing the load in the midfield. A free Gibbs is a very damaging player. Why would we ever let him leave- just when the pieces are coming together?

Imagine how good Murphy and Gibbs would be if they had been drafted to a better team...put them in a Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney of the last 7 years and they would probably hold 'elite' status throughout the competition in the Dangerfield, Pendlebury mould in the media and industry.

Haven't watched the game back yet but I recall on live viewing Charlie's first quarter was really good got to a lot of contests and was all over the ground, looked to tire as the game went on but once he builds a few pre-seasons of fitness together he'll be doing that all game

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So easy to forget that guys like Weiters, Charlie & SOSOS are only second year players playing in key position posts.

Most 2nd year KPP's are still developing in the 2's. These guys are already making quite a significant contribution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine how good Murphy and Gibbs would be if they had been drafted to a better team...put them in a Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney of the last 7 years and they would probably hold 'elite' status throughout the competition in the Dangerfield, Pendlebury mould in the media and industry.

It is amazing how a great team environment/culture with good leadership and coaching can create a tide that raises all boats- Murphy and Gibbs have gone from very good to elite players. You could speculate that some of the other players have gone from journeymen to good contributers- Rowe ed curnow and wright for example. Even the young players- all highly skilled no doubt, but do we have the right to expect them to play as well as they have already? SPS, Williamson, Zac, . The good teams have been doing it for years- drafting and developing young players and then trading them if superfluous to their needs, then often the traded player doesnt perform anywhere near as well in an inferior environment.

Can someone tell me if Levi has a vision problem?

Would love to see someone do a split of his statistics between day and night games.
Think it is more an execution problem that worsens as he gets tired. Did a power of work early and when he has to take his time to get his breath back, he starts to think too much about it.

If he hasn't started well, it compounds the problem.

Truth, but Zac weighs as much as Zorko's left arm.

I read or heard something from Zac a few weeks back - said he's put on 9kg in his first year and not allowed to put on any more till next pre-season so as to not damage his frame.

Lucky his old man is not a Harry Potter fan - reckon I'd be asking questions of the missus...

IMG_2047.JPG

After re watching the game with a level head.
Casboult was still bad with the huge mistakes he made and the goals he missed but by George he crashed some packs and brought the ball to ground every time especially in the last quarter. He is unfortunately never going to be Wayne Carey but he brings to the team a physicality that the young guys can replicate. So sorry Cas you can stay but please handball it after taking one of your great contested marks.

We really need another tall forward to take a bit of heat off Cas and allow him to rest after swapping in the ruck. Time to play Harry.

Agreed, our guys aren't allowing themselves or their team-mates to be bullied, and that's important. Teams must know that they can't take any liberties with us.

Have to say though, I was not comfortable with the constant harassment of Ablett. Sure, you want to nullify his influence, but isn't there another way? I just didn't think it was a good look, and it reminds me how pissed off I would feel when Juddy was copping that kind of treatment.
Would we have won without bullying Ablett? I like to think so, anyway.
I think this is s tool that the team use every so often....

They did it against Motlop last year and also Mills i think earlier this year.

I dont see too much bad with it. It certainly isnt anything personal such as what Murph copped from St's

Sure, you can defend his contribution to the team and other aspects of his game, and I never said he shouldn't be playing, but it'd be foolish to say that his kicking accuracy was anywhere near where it needed to be last night.

It wasn't just his kicking action, some of his decision-making was awful.........

That said, Cas has put together a solid season to date and has credits in the bank - but not many

Hodge (fellow #1 draft pick) managed to carve out an alright career after being drafted to a struggling club.........

Is jack a chance for rising star this week or didn't do enough?

I had CC after the 1st but Jack may sneak in with his better showing (5 goals vs GC this year).

Shai Bolton is the only other I can think of that may be a chance but only 1-2 quarters from him as well from what I gathered.

In the after match interview, SOSAJ said he knew he had to work on his endurance and change of speed because in his own words he was too fat and slow coming out of just having played school footy.

And by golly, has his improvement in those 2 areas been noticeable.

SOSAJ has gone from somebody who early on looked like he was running with crooked legs and could only muster a little run before getting tired, to someone who is now gliding over the turf.
And his change of speed when he starts a lead is looking great as he always seems to find seperation between himself and his opponent on a lead.

Well done to BB, the training staff and the development coaches, and a very big kudos to SOSAJ himself who loves the club as much as his father does and seems prepared to do whatever it takes to be part of a successful Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back