Review Rd 17. SUNS vs Bulldogs @ Cairns 7.25

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be interested in feedback on one of the above comments.

I think it is universally accepted that Rory Thompson is not a reliable kick at AFL level.

His first option is to handball to a team mate.

Regardless of his other positive attributes can a AFL side that aspires to play finals have a player that is an unreliable kick. The modern game demands multiple attributes from players and the quick transition from the back line to the forward line via a short/long kick is crucial.

I always harp back to the Hawthorn "model" and I wonder if Thompson would get a gig with the Hawks?

I dunno about Rory....I've never rated him, but for some reason he adds structure and strength to our back six. Still, for me, he's always got that 'deer in the headlights' look about him. I hold my breath when he's looking to move it by foot. Especially when looking to switch play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I dunno about Rory....I've never rated him, but for some reason he adds structure and strength to our back six. Still, for me, he's always go that 'deer in the headlights' look about him. I hold my breath when he's looking to move it by foot. Especially when looking to switch play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Should play Leslie in front of him ATM. ATM he has no strength in the contest looks lost and disposal is not AFL standard.

Rory is good as a key defender but just get the feeling that Day and Leslie will be better options soon.
If we lose Day and/or Leslie (both ooc) at the end of the year, then it gets simpler.

But that was partly my point above.
Where do we want to go with our key defenders?
Can we play May + 2 out of Rory/Jack/Sam.
May would sometimes have a hard matchup, other times like Josh Gibson and take the 3rd tall and try to be the extra defender more often.

Was just thinking it might be a good week to try it since someone needs to play on Stringer and I suspect that will be May. If they play Boyd + another tall, then will need 3 key defenders anyway.

I genuinely feel sorry for you blokes with your injury list - f'kn unbelievable. We have had quite a few go down this year but nothing like your misfortune. Your tall forwards will pants our tall backs with Marcus Adams out for us, but if it rains that may even things out. It has been quite windy up there the last 2 years and pretty mild. Best of luck. No more injuries for either side thanks!

It's time for the kids to take responsibility and start playing like men.

Yuk.

3 of our best mids and you want to bring in microphone head. Be lucky to get 10 touches.
Grant was always good for a goal over the top per game, and our defenders play 5-10m in front of their opponent due to have some serious height mis-matches.
Grant could actually be dangerous against sides who play a similar sort of defence (WCE springs to mind).

Worried about your tall forwards but games are often won and lost in the middle and no team has had your bad luck with injuries in the past few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking Willis will be given another go , form been great in magoos , which will release Martin in midfield.

Would love to know the coaches thoughts on were they want to play Day long term. Think he would be great at CHB, Good kick and goes hard at the ball. Think this weekends game will be right up the dogs alley. Will be humid and duey, lowers the skill level and makes alot of hardball gets. Just what the dogs excel at. Best chance of winning if is Lynch and 2MP get ontop and kick 10-12 between them.

Kinda knew Prestia would miss, didn't think surgery was the result of it though. Was it a minor procedure & he'll only miss a couple of weeks or is he out for at least a month or more?

Kinda knew Prestia would miss, didn't think surgery was the result of it though. Was it a minor procedure & he'll only miss a couple of weeks or is he out for at least a month or more?
It was just minor but nobody knows how long he will be out, hopefully only 2 weeks or so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back