RDFNL 2019 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh big congrats to Rupo, massive year for the club, and also to Wallan in getting there.
I'm sure they'd be gutted as they're so hard to get to, let alone win - but getting thru Riddell, Romsey, Diggers was a fair path to travel and maybe they were cooked after a big finals series already.
I watched Riddell get hold of them at Greenhill before finals began and thought they were done then so however Nugget picked them up and got them going again says a fair bti about his ability to lead, guide and mentor a broken list.

Don't think I've ever left a local GF at half time, but when Perri didn't make the distance from within the goalsquare I said to Beats who I was sitting with "I'm out mate" ... that was the moment for me right there that the Magpies were done. Jury still out on Clarke, I get why the league wanna use it but it still lacks something for me.

2019 done with no so time for 2020 to take precedence. Will the big clubs get their way and push Rockbank out? Will new clubs come in? Will Broadford depart? Which players will run out for neighbouring clubs for $50pw more?

You just seem so far away from the play. It was frustrating.

I'm not sure who does the BOG, but I thought Putt was huge and his presence around the ground was immense. I'd have given him both medals.

The Perri miss was frustrating, but the decision by a bloke 40 meters away from play to overturn a holding the ball call didn't help early in that 1/4 either. For us there's absolutely no doubt Michael Mannix was our best. Took some important intercept marks and got around the ground too trying to inspire the side. Shaun Stewart and Angus Love both worked hard as did O'Sullivan.

Well done to Rupertswood. To have so many teams in Grand Finals is an amazing achievement for the club. I really hope there's no plans to go to the EDFL because this league needs strong vibrant clubs like yours.

To all you blokes from Rupo, hope you enjoy the next few days and weeks. Your contributions have made this forum fun and great reading. For Wallan, I believe the entire group apart from "Bubbles" who is retiring will be back next year. Those young kids will only be better with a year under their belt and the game, despite loss, will make them better players and give them great belief for 2020.

Putt was very good for sure, but not alone albeit the Rupo mids were given good access by the big fella. Griggy very good and showed he is a decent fwd goal kicking option.
Agree Auk there was some puzzling ump decisions for sure, think there is good times ahead for Wallan given the young age of the unit. Also yes the Mannix up one end Chambers and Elliott up the other end show was quite a marking master class.

Putt was very good for sure, but not alone albeit the Rupo mids were given good access by the big fella. Griggy very good and showed he is a decent fwd goal kicking option.
Agree Auk there was some puzzling ump decisions for sure, think there is good times ahead for Wallan given the young age of the unit. Also yes the Mannix up one end Chambers and Elliott up the other end show was quite a marking master class.
I noticed Griggy kicked 7 goals 4 which was a good effort. Did he kick them early to set up win ?

There was a fair bit of scuttlebutt doing the rounds on the weekend about next years league, or what may be left. Anyone else heard that the league have put some pretty serious requirements in front of the Rams for them to stay in the comp next year? What happens if true and they are unable to meet those commitments? IF the commitments I heard about number of teams, financials etc etc are right that is going to be tough for them. Also when do Broadford need to notify the league they are moving. I heard told the league will block it to protect the RDFNL. IF the league loses 2, now that lancefield have sured themselves up with appointment of Waters it is 9 teams. League will still run a final 6!

Anyone else heard that the league have put some pretty serious requirements in front of the Rams for them to stay in the comp next year? What happens if true and they are unable to meet those commitments?

Is it the actual league board, or several clubs who don't want Rockbank in the comp?

Last edited:
Also when do Broadford need to notify the league they are moving. I heard told the league will block it to protect the RDFNL.
IF the league loses 2, now that lancefield have sured themselves up with appointment of Waters it is 9 teams. League will still run a final 6!
Think Broadford's current (and life) membership will meet and vote tonight. No point blocking it, what's that achieve? They never shoulda joined in 2009, many of you know that, so it's best they return to being a country footy/netball club and try and at least sustain a future, and history that commenced in 1890.

My concern more is the where to/ and how it's pulled off because the KDFL thing hasn't gained any traction whatsoever I believe?

I was in Shepp at the GVFL before driving to Sunbury (for a bloody half ha ha) on Sunday and no one at the ground I spoke to from a few different leagues are aware of how things look up that way regarding a couple of potential junior/senior league tweaks.

Last edited:
Yep, kicked 4 in the first 5 min of the second term to set up the win. He was great. Kicked 70 for the season and didn't have the luxury of playing the lower sides twice.
fair season, kicked goals against most sides, kicked 10 in 3 games against the eventual runners ups. The old fatty poombah jokes for Griggy went away the more goals he kicked on Sunday, but surely we could rule him out as a flat track bully or non team player now. Just saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't you blokes sleep ha ha

I'm led to believe Broadford voted to move on, they had to, although it still doesn't exactly sure up a future until a genuine pathway with their juniors can be reinstated. Hopefully AFL Goulburn Murray and the like can roll out their intentions soon enough.

Good news for Macedon by the sound of it, they too may be reliant on re-establishing a 3rds team but unlike other clubs they do appear resourceful and maybe those new beaut lights I saw a photo of today may allow for some opportunity also

Clubs will save $20 a player.
Not really sure that’s enough to save clubs that are on the brink.
Each clubs pays $40 per player currently. Goldfields and RDFL.

Additionally the dollars coming back are more than rego fees they are affiliation fees which are crippling clubs.

At a guess you guys pay what $25-30k a season in affiliation? Divide that by 3 for the amount of time in years the AFL is rolling out this particular project and it could be a saving of $9-10k a season for those 3 years.
No mention beyond (which we hope there will be) and I'm assuming with the RDFL being on the fringe of Metro/Country a decision whether it qualifies in full could still be questioned?

Let's just hope clubs don't pump it straight into player payments and it can be utilised in a better way to help.

I'm led to believe Broadford voted to move on, they had to, although it still doesn't exactly sure up a future until a genuine pathway with their juniors can be reinstated. Hopefully AFL Goulburn Murray and the like can roll out their intentions soon enough.

Good news for Macedon by the sound of it, they too may be reliant on re-establishing a 3rds team but unlike other clubs they do appear resourceful and maybe those new beaut lights I saw a photo of today may allow for some opportunity also
At airport heading home to palm cove 😎😎😎

If the KDL move doesn't gain traction, is the Heathcote league an option?
I have even read of them going to AFL Outer East but having a league that spreads from Broadford to Officer would be a farcical situation.

If the KDL move doesn't gain traction, is the Heathcote league an option?
I have even read of them going to AFL Outer East but having a league that spreads from Broadford to Officer would be a farcical situation.

Don't think an official phone call went into the HDFL (spewing TBH as a few old heads woulda jumped in I reckon), and with nothing happening in the KDFL the vote last night would've been purely on staying in the RDFL and praying like hell they can survive without 3rds ... or join AFLOE and the knowledge of big km's for 2020, but with the understanding that in 2021 the potential of a few more clubs joining and an admin hub being in place to the north to service it all properly.

Be an exciting gig to be part of, should a fresh league with AFL Vic support be given berth to ...

Broadford's vote was a resounding "let's go" I was told this morning at work, 2020 coaches appointed so let's wish them well and hope for something sustainable in 2021 that may encompass something along the Bford, Yea, Alex, Thornton along with say a Kinglake, Bonnie Doon, maybe VT, Avenel etc.
For that however to occur, I'm assuming AFL Vic may need to step in (if AFLOE can't pursuade clubs) and say "right this is happening, football in the region requires it to happen ... so get ready"

Last edited:
Each clubs pays $40 per player currently. Goldfields and RDFL.

Additionally the dollars coming back are more than rego fees they are affiliation fees which are crippling clubs.
Clubs pay affiliation fees to RDFL not AFL Goldfields.

Each club pays $20 per player to Goldfields and umpires fees to Goldfields.
I hope I’m wrong but I think if you seniors reserves and under 19s you are going to be about $1500 per year better off. It’s not going to change much.
Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back