RDFNL 2021 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you have to dominate Premier to be regarded as a good player? How many players actually dominate Premier?

Everyone has their own definition of a good player. Personally reckon there's plenty in the RDFNL.

Why do you have to dominate Premier to be regarded as a good player? How many players actually dominate Premier?

Everyone has their own definition of a good player. Personally reckon there's plenty in the RDFNL.
Premier Community Football Competitions include:
- Eastern Football League Premier Division
- Essendon District Football League Premier Division
- Northern Football Netball League Division One
- Southern Football Netball League Division One
- Victorian Amateur Football Association Premier Division
- Western Region Football League Division One
- Ballarat Football Netball League
- Bendigo Football Netball League
- Geelong Football Netball League
- Gippsland Football League
- Goulburn Valley League
- Hampden Football Netball League
- Murray Football League
- Ovens and Murray Football Netball League
- Mornington Peninsula Football Netball League – Division One
- AFL Outer East – Premier Division

Thats from AFL VIC that’s what they see as premier football do you see a certain league missing? That’s why we watch AFL football on tv on a friday night it’s all about watching the best of the best and unfortunately the standard of the rdfnl has slipped.

Premier Community Football Competitions include:
- Eastern Football League Premier Division
- Essendon District Football League Premier Division
- Northern Football Netball League Division One
- Southern Football Netball League Division One
- Victorian Amateur Football Association Premier Division
- Western Region Football League Division One
- Ballarat Football Netball League
- Bendigo Football Netball League
- Geelong Football Netball League
- Gippsland Football League
- Goulburn Valley League
- Hampden Football Netball League
- Murray Football League
- Ovens and Murray Football Netball League
- Mornington Peninsula Football Netball League – Division One
- AFL Outer East – Premier Division

Thats from AFL VIC that’s what they see as premier football do you see a certain league missing? That’s why we watch AFL football on tv on a friday night it’s all about watching the best of the best and unfortunately the standard of the rdfnl has slipped.

All you've done is rattle of a few leagues without addressing the actual point I made, which isn't surprising.

All you've done is rattle of a few leagues without addressing the actual point I made, which isn't surprising.
Do you want me to name every player that dominates premier football? 2nd question about dominating premier to be regarded a good footballer that answers your question in itself there are none from our league

Do you want me to name every player that dominates premier football? 2nd question about dominating premier to be regarded a good footballer that answers your question in itself there are none from our league

I couldn't give a stuff who dominates Premier. I can give you names from Wallan who would fit like a glove into a Premier side quite easily.

I couldn't give a stuff who dominates Premier. I can give you names from Wallan who would fit like a glove into a Premier side quite easily.
Me either it’s just a reply to a post that some other person put up about the standard of the league 🤦‍♂️

Those you mentioned are ones that could be looked at for sure, althou they fit the edfl demographic and location, wouldn't be a bad thing if they were approached.

East Sunbury - stuck in div 3and don't look like moving anytime soon, prob be best of the lower ranked teams

Hillside - poor results for a club in such a high catchment area, can't make Div 1 and would be too good for div 3, that would suit the rdfnl. Stuck in div 2 for foreseeable future. Could be w good one to poach.

Taylor's Lakes-big fall from grace, would be a good inclusion to the league.

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

These type of clubs seem like good suggestions and good proximity to majority of the league.
Do these clubs have netball clubs established with courts at their venues?
Could be a very good point of difference having football/netball establishment at the same ground each Saturday compared to the metro equivalent.

Couldn't be bothered at 4am and probably now, but wtf. All of their Cannons players are more than capable of playing Premier. Nathan Fowler and Corey Baker are another two who spring to mind. Ricky Schraven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Riddell league has certainly since I've watched jump in standard, since I moved to Gisborne in 07. Probably hit it's peak when rupo and Sunbury Roos were in. It's never proclaimed to be a major league, but it's good standard of community footy. There's plenty of guys I've seen that would walk up stars in Bendigo, Ballarat or the gv, in fact Sullivan from Romsey went to Seymour this year and won the Morrison.

If you enjoy having a cold beer and watching a game where the community gets involved and there's some atmosphere, there's not many better league's than Riddell

No one they just look good mate

A strong Riddell is good for the league.

Have you watched the last game of the season? 4 quarters of the 1st 3 and you blokes are a big chance.

The Riddell league has certainly since I've watched jump in standard, since I moved to Gisborne in 07. Probably hit it's peak when rupo and Sunbury Roos were in. It's never proclaimed to be a major league, but it's good standard of community footy. There's plenty of guys I've seen that would walk up stars in Bendigo, Ballarat or the gv, in fact Sullivan from Romsey went to Seymour this year and won the Morrison.

If you enjoy having a cold beer and watching a game where the community gets involved and there's some atmosphere, there's not many better league's than Riddell

Well said mate. I’ve said many times that I regret passing up the opportunity to play in a bloody ripper league with many great clubs and people…and afterall that’s what it is all about

Valid points you make.

But its not the RDFNL issue which comp they are currently in, metro or country. Do clubs not worry about recruiting players becuase they played in a country or metro league

These clubs are old RDFNL clubs, so there is history there. And the ones that haven't been in the comp are close to those that are and have connections to them.

Trentham, play woodend every year in preseason.
Kyneton, have played Macedon and Woodend last couple of years in practice matches and are positioned in the RDFNL region, always talked about if they'd be any good in our comp.

Yes the clubs have been approached in recent years, but that was when other clubs were leaving.

If you see a group of people leaving a pub, on your night out, your not going to say, let's go to that place for a beer, you'll be scared off as to why they are leaving.

Correct though in saying the league need to make sure the current teams are happy and then IMO look to expand.

Would love to see the league be ruthless and see what they could do to attract these clubs and turn our comp into a league that offers a great mixture of country and metro footy and netball.

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Of course it isn't the RDFNL's problem, clubs not wanting a bar of the competition is however, which is the point that I was trying to delicately dance around out of respect.
AFLVic aren't going to allow the Ballarat & Bendigo comps to be raided simply to prop up the RDFNL - some sort of multi division amalgamation of sorts would be far more likely IMO.
I'd like for a stronger RDFNL as seeing clubs depart has been disappointing to see but simply creating a wishlist of strong clubs within cooee of the area isn't a realistic approach in the current climate particularly as the EDFL, WRFL & BFNL could also make claims of absorbing RDFNL clubs to boost their own standing, all of whom arguably have a stronger platform or brand.
IMO trying to get Kilmore, Craigieburn etc back would be a logical step toward what you're envisioning in the longer term whilst reinforcing the league as a viable option in the short-medium term.

Pretty condescending I think Turbo….some amazing players have and continue to play on the Riddel league and in smaller country leagues across the state. Players are drawn to clubs for a number of reasons not just the perceived standard of footy
While I'll always advocate for the Ballarat comp, plenty of talented teammates & opponents have ended up playing in supposedly weaker district comps (RDFL or CHFL predominately).

Of course it isn't the RDFNL's problem, clubs not wanting a bar of the competition is however, which is the point that I was trying to delicately dance around out of respect.
AFLVic aren't going to allow the Ballarat & Bendigo comps to be raided simply to prop up the RDFNL - some sort of multi division amalgamation of sorts would be far more likely IMO.
I'd like for a stronger RDFNL as seeing clubs depart has been disappointing to see but simply creating a wishlist of strong clubs within cooee of the area isn't a realistic approach in the current climate particularly as the EDFL, WRFL & BFNL could also make claims of absorbing RDFNL clubs to boost their own standing, all of whom arguably have a stronger platform or brand.
IMO trying to get Kilmore, Craigieburn etc back would be a logical step toward what you're envisioning in the longer term whilst reinforcing the league as a viable option in the short-medium term.

I think logistically it would make sense to have a two tier rdfl, with all Sunbury, Melton and Bacchus Marsh plus Gisborne, Kyneton div 1 and Trentham, Kilmore Craigieburn in div 2. But it would impact pretty severely the Bendigo and Ballarat league's, unless those two league's merged to create a goldfields league

I think logistically it would make sense to have a two tier rdfl, with all Sunbury, Melton and Bacchus Marsh plus Gisborne, Kyneton div 1 and Trentham, Kilmore Craigieburn in div 2. But it would impact pretty severely the Bendigo and Ballarat league's, unless those two league's merged to create a goldfields league
Why logistically does it make sense for Sunbury, given the rest of the Sunbury based clubs are based in the EDFL?
or for Bacchus Marsh given a decent % of their juniors go to school in Ballarat?
The conversation seems to come from a position of wishing to reinforce the RDFNL which is admirable but it does need to be a workable solution which the proposed isn't as many of the clubs noted won't entertain the notion.
Rather than a solution that is effectively robbing Peter to pay Paul, a larger overall restructuring may be in order involving clubs from the RDFL, BallFNL, BenFNL, MCDNL & CHFL which could maintain the viability of all clubs.

Just got to face facts rdfnl is a below average league you can’t sugar coat it no one will come to this league, clubs will leave but they will never come

Remove this Banner Ad

Back