RDFNL 2021 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty excited about this one ..

๐–๐Ž๐Ž๐ƒ๐„๐๐ƒ/๐‡๐„๐’๐Š๐„๐“ ๐…๐Ž๐Ž๐“๐๐€๐‹๐‹ ๐๐„๐“๐๐€๐‹๐‹ ๐‚๐‹๐”๐ | ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ & ๐…๐š๐ข๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ
The Hawks invite you to join them on ๐“๐ก๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐๐š๐ฒ ๐Ž๐œ๐ญ๐จ๐›๐ž๐ซ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ ๐Ÿ•.๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ฉ๐ฆ for its 2021 Senior Best and Fairest Night.
Due to the current COVID-19 circumstances; this special event will be broadcast on its Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/WoodendHesketFootballNetballClub

This exciting event will feature interviews with award winners, summaries from key members around the Woodend community and much more.
Frock up and look your best, gather with those at home over a top drop and nice food and sit down and enjoy this ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ-๐˜ช๐˜ฏ-๐˜ข-๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต.

Attachments

• 244383330_2506125316186287_6851372735700685938_n.jpg
    244383330_2506125316186287_6851372735700685938_n.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 44
I agree mate, itโ€™d have footy buzzing around our area and Iโ€™d love to see it. Crowds would be massive. Makes sense in travel for those Ballarat/Bendigo FL clubs.

I personally canโ€™t stand the EDFL as I feel itโ€™s a bit souless with low supporter bases ect. Be interesting to get the feel of Sunbury Roos and Rupo in how they have enjoyed transferring over. Very early for a judgement from Rupo only after one year tho.
Like the clubs who have recently left the rdfnl and told the league to get stuffed, is the league in a position to say to the other leagues
"Get stuffed, we want who we want, and won't stop until,we get it"

It would also be the players choice who they play for, if a Gisborne local wants to play for riddell or Sunbury, they choose who to play for.

Males the onus on the club tombe good enough for player X to want to be there, plus it would also make the clubs bring back their high end talent.

Recruiting I think would be easier for those clubs as well.

Having spoken to a former Bendigo league player (who lived in the city and didn't play for either Kyneton or Gisborne) he said he would have loved to travel less. The furtherest a city player would have to travel if they played at kyneton would be kyneton for home games.

Div 2 would be a little different.

I just don't know why the league isn't having a full crack at these clubs and making this comp the best it could with the clubs who surround .

There would be quality football and netball played each week, and that can only be good for the clubs who try and make a dollar from the people coming to watch and having a beer and some food.

I think also, it would attract local businesses to join the league and be part of the league.

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like the clubs who have recently left the rdfnl and told the league to get stuffed, is the league in a position to say to the other leagues
"Get stuffed, we want who we want, and won't stop until,we get it"

It would also be the players choice who they play for, if a Gisborne local wants to play for riddell or Sunbury, they choose who to play for.

Males the onus on the club tombe good enough for player X to want to be there, plus it would also make the clubs bring back their high end talent.

Recruiting I think would be easier for those clubs as well.

Having spoken to a former Bendigo league player (who lived in the city and didn't play for either Kyneton or Gisborne) he said he would have loved to travel less. The furtherest a city player would have to travel if they played at kyneton would be kyneton for home games.

Div 2 would be a little different.

I just don't know why the league isn't having a full crack at these clubs and making this comp the best it could with the clubs who surround .

There would be quality football and netball played each week, and that can only be good for the clubs who try and make a dollar from the people coming to watch and having a beer and some food.

I think also, it would attract local businesses to join the league and be part of the league.

In the WRFL chat theres a discussion going on about the number of clubs in the Sunshine/Deer Park area. About 8 clubs within 15-20 mins of each other. Why not approach one of them? Could be a point of difference for one of those clubs and make them an attractive proposition compared to others in the area.

To whom do you refer?
Iโ€™d like too let you know mate, but I think itโ€™s only fair for the club to announce the decision on their new recruit. Iโ€™d say from seeing this bloke play a fair few times, he would be in wallans top 5 players.

Iโ€™d like too let you know mate, but I think itโ€™s only fair for the club to announce the decision on their new recruit. Iโ€™d say from seeing this bloke play a fair few times, he would be in wallans top 5 players.
Another to Heathcote or are we talking more to the airport way?

With 2 seasons now lost due to covid and mental toll from everyday life and now more than ever finding it hard to have more volunteers put their hands up, if in a hyperthetical world, that the rdfnl went all out to make a more "local and former clubs" league, does anyone out here think this could work?

And what would be the pros and cons. Yes I know it gets spoken about, but we've had 2 terrible years with stuff all footy, would this possibility bring back some excitement to the league.

Division 1 would be cracking games every week! IMO
Division 2 would be competitive as well.

Could this work?

DIVISION 1
Diggers
Sunbury
Kyneton
Gisborne
Riddell
Melton
Wallan
Craigieburn
Darley
Bacchus Marsh

DIVISION 2
Woodend
Rockbank
Trentham
East Sunbury
Jacana/Eynesbury/Gisborne Giants
Melton South
Melton Central
Macedon
Romsey
Lancefield

Bottom 2 in Div 1 relegated
Grand finalists from div 2 promoted

I know it would be extremely hard to get the other clubs to come across and join the rdfnl, I'm just saying, if they agreed and it went ahead.

It was only 2010 where Brendan Gale said the tigers wanted 3 flags by 2020 & 75k plus members and Garry Lyon laughed at him (FOOTY CLASSIFIED, link below)

Like Gale says "it starts with a vision, if we don't have a vision to be the best, we may as well pack up and go home"

So why can't the rdfnl have a vision as bold as the Richmond FC?

A restructure which serves purely to bolster the RDFNL at the expense of the Country comps noted will not go down well with the powers that be, notwithstanding that many of the clubs you've noted have rejected overtures to join the competition anyway.
The Sunbury Lions for example, are more likely to end up in Bendigo or the Essendon District league should they ever leave the Ballarat comp.
Realistically, the RDFNL needs to stem the bleeding first as clubs heading for the exit, preferring to to play in lower divisions of the Northern or Essendon comps is hardly a great inducement for clubs to come across.

๐๐‘๐„๐€๐Š๐ˆ๐๐† ๐๐„๐–๐’ | ๐‰๐จ๐ฌ๐ก ๐๐จ๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐ง๐ž๐ฐ ๐’๐ž๐ง๐ข๐จ๐ซ ๐…๐จ๐จ๐ญ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐‚๐จ๐š๐œ๐ก
Woodend/Hesket Football Netball Club is excited to announce that Josh Pound will coach the Senior Football team in 2022.
Pound crossed to the Hawks at the start of the 2021 season after previously playing with PEGS, Aberfieldie and Broadford in recent seasons.
Pound has previously worked in the business sector with the Western Bulldogs in the AFL and has a strong business background that contributes to his tremendous leadership skills and getting the best out of people around him.
Pound will be a playing coach and takes over from Ben Tankard who coached the team over the past two seasons.
Incoming Senior club president James Chettle says that the club is looking forward to having Pound lead the team as its new Senior coach in season 2022 in the Riddell District Football Netball Club.
"We are super excited to have Josh step into the senior coaching role for 2022," James says.
"He brings really strong values and has exceptional leadership qualities which made our decision to appoint Josh easy.
His energy towards seeing the club progress to finals is amazing and the club looks forward to a big preseason and hopefully a successful 2022."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A restructure which serves purely to bolster the RDFNL at the expense of the Country comps noted will not go down well with the powers that be, notwithstanding that many of the clubs you've noted have rejected overtures to join the competition anyway.
The Sunbury Lions for example, are more likely to end up in Bendigo or the Essendon District league should they ever leave the Ballarat comp.
Realistically, the RDFNL needs to stem the bleeding first as clubs heading for the exit, preferring to to play in lower divisions of the Northern or Essendon comps is hardly a great inducement for clubs to come across.
Valid points you make.

But its not the RDFNL issue which comp they are currently in, metro or country. Do clubs not worry about recruiting players becuase they played in a country or metro league

These clubs are old RDFNL clubs, so there is history there. And the ones that haven't been in the comp are close to those that are and have connections to them.

Trentham, play woodend every year in preseason.
Kyneton, have played Macedon and Woodend last couple of years in practice matches and are positioned in the RDFNL region, always talked about if they'd be any good in our comp.

Yes the clubs have been approached in recent years, but that was when other clubs were leaving.

If you see a group of people leaving a pub, on your night out, your not going to say, let's go to that place for a beer, you'll be scared off as to why they are leaving.

Correct though in saying the league need to make sure the current teams are happy and then IMO look to expand.

Would love to see the league be ruthless and see what they could do to attract these clubs and turn our comp into a league that offers a great mixture of country and metro footy and netball.

Valid points you make.

But its not the RDFNL issue which comp they are currently in, metro or country. Do clubs not worry about recruiting players becuase they played in a country or metro league

These clubs are old RDFNL clubs, so there is history there. And the ones that haven't been in the comp are close to those that are and have connections to them.

Trentham, play woodend every year in preseason.
Kyneton, have played Macedon and Woodend last couple of years in practice matches and are positioned in the RDFNL region, always talked about if they'd be any good in our comp.

Yes the clubs have been approached in recent years, but that was when other clubs were leaving.

If you see a group of people leaving a pub, on your night out, your not going to say, let's go to that place for a beer, you'll be scared off as to why they are leaving.

Correct though in saying the league need to make sure the current teams are happy and then IMO look to expand.

Would love to see the league be ruthless and see what they could do to attract these clubs and turn our comp into a league that offers a great mixture of country and metro footy and netball.

Can someone help me understand why the pre-occupation of growing north towards Kyneton and west towards Trentham ? When the majority of the growth areas within the competition population wise are closer to the city.

My mind also bogles that there are zero teams within Sunbury in this competition nowadays. When in days gone by it was almost the centre of the whole competition.

I like the sentiment about growing the competition and totally agree with it. However, it needs to be a targeted approach with data to assist with the decision making as opposed to nice to have.

Mark Pederson appointed to Melton Centrals as their new senior coach taking over from Matthew Sproule.
Whatโ€™s he like??

Also why would clubs from the Ballarat league come to the Riddell league as its chalk & cheese in standards. Better players will always gravitate towards better competition footy pretty simple.

Can someone help me understand why the pre-occupation of growing north towards Kyneton and west towards Trentham ? When the majority of the growth areas within the competition population wise are closer to the city.

My mind also bogles that there are zero teams within Sunbury in this competition nowadays. When in days gone by it was almost the centre of the whole competition.

I like the sentiment about growing the competition and totally agree with it. However, it needs to be a targeted approach with data to assist with the decision making as opposed to nice to have.
Who would you be targeting then to expand the comp?

Kyneton has forever seen itself as a club that would be too good for the rdfnl, but happy to be low to middle on the ladder each year, like a yo-yo.

I mentioned Kyneton as it would also help them financially I would assume. Not too sure how many opposition spectators travel down the Bendigo clubs to watch them when they play at Kyneton.

I would think that there would be alot more oppo spectators come if clubs such as Sunbury, riddell Woodend Macedon were playing them. Which to me means more revenue for a club.

Recruiting would be helpful, tell a melb based player his furtherest travel is a home game to Kyneton and you'd get more players interested I reckon. Rather than every 2nd week travel to Bendigo.

Trentham yes isn't as much in the area, but it gives them a good opportunity to play more local teams.

Eynsbury and Gisborne giants (same method as when Macedon came into the league, start with u18s and build from there)

The reason for those 2 clubs is they are also established, new clubs will take time to build and recruit players and volunteers.

Who else would you be wanting to target sloth?

Whatโ€™s he like??

Also why would clubs from the Ballarat league come to the Riddell league as its chalk & cheese in standards. Better players will always gravitate towards better competition footy pretty simple.
So if those teams decided to come across, you dont think a player from say sunbury, who wants to play in a good competition, wouldn't want to play against the teams mentioned in the Div 1 competition.

He would play against 4 other Ballarat teams, 2 Bendigo, 1 edfl and the rest of the rdfnl teams that have been the best teams thenlast few seasons.

Why wouldn't a player want to play in that comp who wants to get better and play the best standard he can.

Who would you be targeting then to expand the comp?

Kyneton has forever seen itself as a club that would be too good for the rdfnl, but happy to be low to middle on the ladder each year, like a yo-yo.

I mentioned Kyneton as it would also help them financially I would assume. Not too sure how many opposition spectators travel down the Bendigo clubs to watch them when they play at Kyneton.

I would think that there would be alot more oppo spectators come if clubs such as Sunbury, riddell Woodend Macedon were playing them. Which to me means more revenue for a club.

Recruiting would be helpful, tell a melb based player his furtherest travel is a home game to Kyneton and you'd get more players interested I reckon. Rather than every 2nd week travel to Bendigo.

Trentham yes isn't as much in the area, but it gives them a good opportunity to play more local teams.

Eynsbury and Gisborne giants (same method as when Macedon came into the league, start with u18s and build from there)

The reason for those 2 clubs is they are also established, new clubs will take time to build and recruit players and volunteers.

Who else would you be wanting to target sloth?

I think that East Sunbury should be targeted as a start. As well looking at clubs like Hillside, Taylors Lakes and Keilor Park. Itโ€™d be great to see Sunbury Kangaroos return in the near future.

Not to forget Jacana who are rebuilding at the moment who last played in the league in 2000.

The flow on benefit would be with more clubs is that affiliation fees would be lower.

So if those teams decided to come across, you dont think a player from say sunbury, who wants to play in a good competition, wouldn't want to play against the teams mentioned in the Div 1 competition.

He would play against 4 other Ballarat teams, 2 Bendigo, 1 edfl and the rest of the rdfnl teams that have been the best teams thenlast few seasons.

Why wouldn't a player want to play in that comp who wants to get better and play the best standard he can.

Itโ€™s pure speculation and random thoughts I know but Ballarat teams would destroy Riddell teams in all honesty. You canโ€™t compare them. Another Example is Sunbury would smash Kyeton.

I think the Riddell league is great for the local communities as is necessary but itโ€™s not a competition to draw quality players.

Itโ€™s pure speculation and random thoughts I know but Ballarat teams would destroy Riddell teams in all honesty. You canโ€™t compare them. Another Example is Sunbury would smash Kyeton.

I think the Riddell league is great for the local communities as is necessary but itโ€™s not a competition to draw quality players.

Pretty condescending I think Turboโ€ฆ.some amazing players have and continue to play on the Riddel league and in smaller country leagues across the state. Players are drawn to clubs for a number of reasons not just the perceived standard of footy

I think that East Sunbury should be targeted as a start. As well looking at clubs like Hillside, Taylors Lakes and Keilor Park. Itโ€™d be great to see Sunbury Kangaroos return in the near future.

Not to forget Jacana who are rebuilding at the moment who last played in the league in 2000.

The flow on benefit would be with more clubs is that affiliation fees would be lower.
Those you mentioned are ones that could be looked at for sure, althou they fit the edfl demographic and location, wouldn't be a bad thing if they were approached.

East Sunbury - stuck in div 3and don't look like moving anytime soon, prob be best of the lower ranked teams

Hillside - poor results for a club in such a high catchment area, can't make Div 1 and would be too good for div 3, that would suit the rdfnl. Stuck in div 2 for foreseeable future. Could be w good one to poach.

Taylor's Lakes-big fall from grace, would be a good inclusion to the league.

KP - Same boat as jacana, rebuilding.

Jacana - would be battling it out with the lower ranked teams, but it would give them a good base and a point of difference to edfl clubs.

I didn't include sunbury roos or rupo, as they've recently just left, i would love to see them back in the comp, I think that if the league attracted more clubs then they might consider coming back if they don't start to see the results they thought they'd get.

Younmalema good point with club fees, what would the affiliation fees roughly be for
Ballarat FNL
Bendigo FNL
RDFNL
EDFL
MCFNL

Just wanting to compare.

Pretty condescending I think Turboโ€ฆ.some amazing players have and continue to play on the Riddel league and in smaller country leagues across the state. Players are drawn to clubs for a number of reasons not just the perceived standard of footy
He is not that far off look at the last 10 Bowen medalist have any of them dominated a premier competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back