Votes: 131 64.9%

• Total voters

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Regardless of yesterday’s results, I still think that we are missing contested A-grade midfield beasts like Cotchin and Dusty in the midfield from our youth. We’re missing the kind that you usually find at the top end of the draft. We don’t have as many holes as I thought when I first posted this thread given how versatile our youth can be, but our work in the contest is still lacking. There aren’t many other holes though. Maybe a couple of KPDs.

Therefore, I think a refresher may actually end up being OK. Especially if we capitalise on the lack of exposure the lower sides have to draftees.

Its hard to wins flags and draft a Rowell or Walsh.

I think the best hope is the like of Higgins. Bolton. Improving eventually.

I also reckon they will target a mid via trade or free agency. Wines. Viney. Type? Maybe in mid 20s bracket

This is the year to win the flag because the draft will be a lottery and you might be able to draft the gun players with a s**t pick.

We set ourselves up for this great era when we drafted gun players under 6 foot. Everyone else let them slide because the thinking was they had to be 6'2". So we got gun footballers for cheap.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
This is the year to win the flag because the draft will be a lottery and you might be able to draft the gun players with a sh*t pick.

We set ourselves up for this great era when we drafted gun players under 6 foot. Everyone else let them slide because the thinking was they had to be 6'2". So we got gun footballers for cheap.

short people and gun big blokes; Balta, Chol, ccj

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Baker. ??? Egg
Short. Balta. Stack
Turner. Ross. Naish
D. Rioli. Chol. M. Rioli
Castagna. Lynch. Higgins
Soldo. Dow. Bolton
CCJ. Ralphsmith ???? ???????

We are a KPD and maybe a gun mid away from completing a rebuild while in the middle of a premiership window.
I think in the next couple of years those two holes you mention will be plugged by trades/free agents.

The big bodied mid is more of an immediate need. Cotch's injury struggles and the want to play Dusty forward mean there's a bit of a gap there.

The emergence of Balta could make the key defender a recruit for when Astbury and/or Grimes start to slowdown, rather than for now.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
Regardless of yesterday’s results, I still think that we are missing contested A-grade midfield beasts like Cotchin and Dusty in the midfield from our youth. We’re missing the kind that you usually find at the top end of the draft. We don’t have as many holes as I thought when I first posted this thread given how versatile our youth can be, but our work in the contest is still lacking. There aren’t many other holes though. Maybe a couple of KPDs.

Therefore, I think a refresher may actually end up being OK. Especially if we capitalise on the lack of exposure the lower sides have to draftees.
Probably why Tiger71 has been saying we have been looking at players like BCrouch and now Oliver and also Harris Andrews

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I think in the next couple of years those two holes you mention will be plugged by trades/free agents.

The big bodied mid is more of an immediate need. Cotch's injury struggles and the want to play Dusty forward mean there's a bit of a gap there.

The emergence of Balta could make the key defender a recruit for when Astbury and/or Grimes start to slowdown, rather than for now.

RCD will be good

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Top end talent isn't always first few picks, I trust us to develop well , and yeah I don't wanna bottom out , we have had plenty of years of doing that.

It's okay during that time I thought we were going back.to the wallet days 🤣🤣 so we all get a bit carried away , I'm glad they put egg on my face. More pls! Scrambled next time

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Top end talent isn't always first few picks, I trust us to develop well , and yeah I don't wanna bottom out , we have had plenty of years of doing that.

It's okay during that time I thought we were going back.to the wallet days 🤣🤣 so we all get a bit carried away , I'm glad they put egg on my face. More pls! Scrambled next time
Yep, a big ol' Eggmolesse-Smith on our faces!

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Oliver who is 22 would be a very handy addition to our midfield.

Cotch - 32 next year and Prestia 28 could do with another inside mid on the list.

Oliver can be messy by foot but is creative in close particularly by hand. guys like Bolton, Sheds and Dow would really benefit from that.

Contracted til 2021 so we’d have to be very inventive.

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Cotch - 32 next year and Prestia 28 could do with another inside mid on the list.

Oliver can be messy by foot but is creative in close particularly by hand. guys like Bolton, Sheds and Dow would really benefit from that.

Cotch only 31 nek year

But yes another bull will.be good , why isn't RCD coming along ?

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

No Charlie, no, no, no, no. Not Oliver, he is SHOCKING.

Meteoric Rise trade exclusion despised footballer list:

Crouch, B
Crouch, M
Oliver, C

Since 2016 we have traded for 3 players that cost us anything of substance either picks or salary wise, Nankervis, Caddy, Prestia. We also paid a good amount of salary for Lynch as a free agent. OK we grabbed Weller for nothing and minimal salary for one year, counts for nowt.

You don’t start coughing up picks and salary for opposition stats pigs that they won’t be able to unload quickly enough. Get them in younger than 25 where possible, and when they are ready to take on a bigger role.

Freo: Cerra
Crows: Milera
Cats: Constable
Port: Ladhams(not a need, but has definitely got something)
GWS: Hopper, Hately, etc.
Carlton: only joking.

There are players at clubs that will cost a bit but not the earth, and are sitting a bit low in the pecking order at their club who are still young and have time to have an 8-10 year career at Tigerland. Do not pick up mid 20’s hacks or stat chasing no damage ball wasters. The club won’t do this but as supporters we need to just stop thinking we would even want these type of clowns on our list.

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Clayton Oliver would be a star in our setup. Get rid of the useless 1-2 stat padding handballs he (and the rest of hit team) does and get him playing team first footy and he'll be a star.

Hes a contested ball, clearance beast and a campaigner.

Doubt he'd leave though.

Yep. Oliver is flawed but a bull.

Nuts to not want him

Back