Multiplat Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking maybe this will require 3 play throughs, the first one which I stumbled my way through, the second one in which I'm being a goody two shoes & spending plenty of time doing every side mission/challenges etc I can find (* knows how long that will take), and a third one just being a complete badass.

I reckon that'll be the only way to experience the game in full because on this second go around it feels different with a lot of stuff popping up that I didn't come across first time around.

Was that a stranger mission?

I was in the swamp collecting orchids & this dude just rode up & fell off his horse half dead asking to be taken to the doc. There's been several of these type of encounters that I didn't come across first time around, none so graphic though, was a beauty.

Just finished. What a game. 9/10.

The -1 is all my doing though. Ive pumped 100 hours in over the past month. Done all the stranger missions, and focused a lot on the story. Didn;t bother with collectibles, got some legendary animals.

But Ive got a major case of FOMO. I really didn't have any * around time. I didn't even get to a lot of the locales from RDR1. I got some off the beaten path, but not as much as I'd like. I could be wrong, but I don't think there was enough side stuff. I don't think many of those grey dots turned into interesting stuff. Probably not enough gang hideouts or weird s**t. Maybe there was, but I didn't see it.

An example. I rescued one of the grey dots. She gave a me a tip about sometihing going on at a local store. I went to it, and there was a kid in a basement reaching out to the public. I go in and the shopkeeper is keeping an adult dressed as a kid in there hostage. Needed more of that. I think?

But the missions were great, combat superb, graphics and weather the best Ive ever seen and it made you care about the characters.

It was really effective to end the epilogue with John and Abigail looking so happy. We all knew what will happen. Brilliant.

Just finished. What a game. 9/10.

The -1 is all my doing though. Ive pumped 100 hours in over the past month. Done all the stranger missions, and focused a lot on the story. Didn;t bother with collectibles, got some legendary animals.

But Ive got a major case of FOMO. I really didn't have any **** around time. I didn't even get to a lot of the locales from RDR1. I got some off the beaten path, but not as much as I'd like. I could be wrong, but I don't think there was enough side stuff. I don't think many of those grey dots turned into interesting stuff. Probably not enough gang hideouts or weird s**t. Maybe there was, but I didn't see it.

An example. I rescued one of the grey dots. She gave a me a tip about sometihing going on at a local store. I went to it, and there was a kid in a basement reaching out to the public. I go in and the shopkeeper is keeping an adult dressed as a kid in there hostage. Needed more of that. I think?

But the missions were great, combat superb, graphics and weather the best Ive ever seen and it made you care about the characters.

It was really effective to end the epilogue with John and Abigail looking so happy. We all knew what will happen. Brilliant.

There are plenty more of these type of random events throughout the game, you just have to come across them.

I've dropped a shitload of hours into the game and only recently came across the ghost train by accident.

There are plenty more of these type of random events throughout the game, you just have to come across them.

I've dropped a shitload of hours into the game and only recently came across the ghost train by accident.
Yeah I'm finding heaps of things I missed first time round. Early on it was a bit overwhelming when you have no idea about controls and gameplay once the world opens up.

Realised they put a lot of little random tutorial encounters in around your first camp in Chapter 2 if you are paying attention

So I finished this after almost 3 months of playing it.

- It's a huge step forward again after Rockstar's last effort which I felt was a let down (GTA V). The world does not feel hollow and each NPC feels like an individual again. Combat and Melee is far more satisfying. It was far too easy to die in GTA V but here it's perfectly balanced imo.

- Wanted to take my time with it so I could get attached to the characters. There was always this feeling of impending doom since it's Red dead.

Actually had a feeling something was up the first time Arthur visited Mr Downes, he let out a few little coughs straight away when he got blood on him and the way the cinematic was heading back to camp told me something was not quite right here.

- Loved the slow burn story. Felt like I was watching something on HBO. Still can't bring myself to hate Dutch. Micah on the other hand...

- Loved that there were areas that genuinely creepy me out so much that I rode through on my horse as quick as possible and rarely set up camp in. The Murfrees didn't bother me so much as the Night folk did.

Things I did not like: some of the animations and movement were a little too slow. Walking in camp, walking near missions, walking through certain doors. Just soooo slow. At least let me jog. Also some of the missions seem too linear. I remember when Rockstar would give a little leeway and let your imagination decided how to finish a mission. A lot of the time it can feel like you are just guiding Arthur and watching rather than playing. There was a little of that imagination in missions here still, but not much.

Think if there's a RDR3 it should be the origins of Dutch as he grows up with his father. Would be cool to see how his world view started and the blood feud with Colm.

Last edited:
I know it’s early but do we think there will be a RDR3?

With the Dutch gang story done and told, John Marston dead after RDR1, not sure where it could go from here, I’m not at all that interested in a postential game playing as Jack Marston either. And I doubt they would go back even further with Dutch Van Der Linde’s gang where Arthur and Hosea were much younger.

I think they should. Dutch's origins with his father and how his views of the world shaped would be good. Him forming the gang and recruiting them all etc. And having it done during the prime of the cowboy era. 1865-1890.

I found GTA V very overrated too.

This is definitely a step back in the right direction for Rockstar. Bar a couple of fundemental issues I do see why so many people do think it is a classic, unlike V which I think was not that good. Hopefully not so long between drinks again and they hit us with some greatness again.

Agreed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Niko shits all over the shallow characters of GTA V.

Just finished this game, will post detailed thoughts later.

Franklin was a poor mans CJ.

Trevor was alright.

Michael was the best to me, liked the burnt out former criminal who sold his mates out doing a deal.

Arthur was just too righteous in the end. The game should have forced you in to some more cold blooded murder type events, all the talk that he's a bad man that has done bad things felt really overdone and didn't fit to the noble outlaws view the game had for Dutch's gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franklin was a poor mans CJ.

Trevor was alright.

Michael was the best to me, liked the burnt out former criminal who sold his mates out doing a deal.

Arthur was just too righteous in the end. The game should have forced you in to some more cold blooded murder type events, all the talk that he's a bad man that has done bad things felt really overdone and didn't fit to the noble outlaws view the game had for Dutch's gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the gang fancied themselves a bit of Robin Hood like at the start especially. I thought we would actually get different endings for Red Dead 2 sort of like with Witcher 3. All of the 4 we got in rdr2 were relatively similar.

I was thinking they would occur in entirely different places and circumstances depending on your honor level. You get a lot of comments from lawmen saying how you'll swing from a rope if you continue to be an arsehole in general play. I thought it would be cool if that turned out to be a foreshadowing, because so many players would just laugh it off but it would show consequence, and say at the ending if you had good or bad honor from all the strangers and lawmen you have helped they would all be there to testify for your character depending on whether you helped them or not. And if you have been an arsehole they all watch you hang. All the people you took for granted. Or they save you etc.

Or another scenario where you can run away with Mary and betray Dutch, even if
you have TB to live out your final weeks with the only love you have ever had

For me Witcher 3 is still the king and the best game I've experienced. I think Cyberpunk is the next best chance to change that.

In the middle of a 2nd play through and I'm absolutely loving it. Great to be back at Horseshoe overlook with Arthur and the rest of the gang. Spent quite a bit of time in camp to try and see some random encounters between gang members and it hasn't disappointed me so far

Can you give an example?

For example after you move to Horseshoe Overlook, Kieran will be tied up and he'll ask Karen for some water, she said "No, * you", she left then Mary-Beth came along and comforted him. Also at Sean's party if you follow him around you'll see him and Karen make out then slowly go into John's tent and have sex, obviously with the tent closed.

In the middle of a 2nd play through and I'm absolutely loving it. Great to be back at Horseshoe overlook with Arthur and the rest of the gang. Spent quite a bit of time in camp to try and see some random encounters between gang members and it hasn't disappointed me so far
I'm still in Chapter 2 in my second playthrough and also in no rush to leave. Definitely the best place to be.

I had that party last weekend but I was keen to get back out and do some hunting so I can boost my dead eye as it helps get Gold. I ended up just smashing a few beers and piking.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

A few movie inspired outfits

Han Solo
a29528af-cd0a-4656-94dc-13ce39b1c267.PNG

Han Solo from Empire Strikes Back
c0877800-1711-4702-aedf-3ba93ae70d54.PNG

Indiana Jones
bbd5b669-7241-46ae-bb3c-c08b7b2d49de.PNG

I would still pay $20 for a heap more single-player outfits (and maybe some repeating bounty missions so I'd have something to do). The only reason I step into this game any more is to change clothes and ride around town shooting people.

Just a random thought about the game: but when I first head the story would involve a gang, I really expected something like San Andreas' gang system. Like you'd be able to recruit posse members and build up your gang of outlaws and ride out, picking fights with rival gangs and such (there are tons of localised gangs in the game too, lots of opportunity for wide-open random shootouts as opposed to the small ambush encounters you're stuck with instead). Maybe something to look forward to in Red Dead Redemption 3. I wouldn't mind at all if Rockstar held back on the cinematic storytelling and focused instead on a return to making the single-player as chaotic and fun and endlessly playable as they want the multiplayer to be (which I have no interest in, personally).

Finished Epilogue. Game really picks up in the end but not sure that it is enough to make up for the first two thirds or so. Also, a large portion of the map just isn't used well enough in single player (Ambarino and New Austin) to make it worthwhile. Did anyone really have any reason whatsoever to use Wallace Station?

There is a 25,000 behemoth on Polygon if you can set aside a day to read it.

You'll think it's the shittest game ever after reading it.

I don't even like to give Polygon an advertising cent by ever clicking on anything of theirs but I was curious. I then jumped to the Qualifications and Consumer Identities chapter because it sounded very Polygon. After half a dozen paragraphs it only reinforced my opinion of Polygon as an absolute spew of a 'gaming' rag and should be avoided.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back