Redevelopment of Punt Road

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 22, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Tomorrow will see the announcement of a $6.5m redevelopment of the Punt Road Oval, home of the Tiges.

Bracks will make the announcement from Punt Road with Steve Wright, TW etc. To be funded $2m by Vic Govt, $2m by the Council, $1.5m by the AFL and $1m by RFC.

Also, Reebok will be the gear sponsor next year and beyond, replacing hummell. They will also assist in fitting out the new gymnasium.

This is a spot of good news!

In other news, Richo has a slight medial strain which will recover while he's out with a wrist injury.

great news if true, especially the redevelopment, would be stoked if our facilities were as good as Collingwoods without having to leave Punt Road in order to do it

Should bring in Danny Frawley as a consultant....he may decorate the joint in Possum Sh1t......it's been two years, but still can't get over this Frawleywit....

UpTheGuts said:
Tomorrow will see the announcement of a $6.5m redevelopment of the Punt Road Oval, home of the Tiges.

Bracks will make the announcement from Punt Road with Steve Wright, TW etc. To be funded $2m by Vic Govt, $2m by the Council, $1.5m by the AFL and $1m by RFC.

Also, Reebok will be the gear sponsor next year and beyond, replacing hummell. They will also assist in fitting out the new gymnasium.

In other news, Richo has a slight medial strain which will recover while he's out with a wrist injury.
Thanks UTG. Be good to get top class facilities if others are forking out a large part of the $$$. Did they mention how the $1M we are spending here fits in with the plan to eradicate debt?

UpTheGuts said:

:thumbsu: :)

hummell = shyte brand

Crumden said:
Thanks UTG. Be good to get top class facilities if others are forking out a large part of the $$$. Did they mention how the $1M we are spending here fits in with the plan to eradicate debt?

No big details provided - more will presumably be disclosed today.

CEO did confirm, as we've seen reported in the papers, that we hope to make a $350K profit this year. He also made note of exactly how many years of making $350,000 profits it would take to eliminate our $4.4m debt (ie. lots). Corporate support for the Tiges has really fallen off this year. That seems to be occurring at other clubs too, but we are looking at a $200K shortfall in this area for 2006.

New partners for 06 in Crazy John's, K-mart etc, so the jumper is worth a lot more ($2m p.a.) than it was a year or 3 back, but overall corporate support is disappointing. I guess a period where the club is competitive on-field would be the main way to improve that.

UpTheGuts said:

CEO did confirm, as we've seen reported in the papers, that we hope to make a $350K profit this year. He also made note of exactly how many years of making $350,000 profits it would take to eliminate our $4.4m debt (ie. lots). Corporate support for the Tiges has really fallen off this year. That seems to be occurring at other clubs too, but we are looking at a $200K shortfall in this area for 2006.

New partners for 06 in Crazy John's, K-mart etc, so the jumper is worth a lot more ($2m p.a.) than it was a year or 3 back, but overall corporate support is disappointing. I guess a period where the club is competitive on-field would be the main way to improve that.

I'd say that corporate support has fallen because of the Commonwealth Games this year.

I am happy that we are getting the money, but I think we need to bear in mind that while $6.5m sounds like a lot, for what they want to do with it it won't go far. Comparing anything we will be able to build/fix up with the Lexus Centre isn't quite right because I am sure they spent a heck of a lot more.... still, it's a move in the right direction.

Thats great news, about time the state governement made some worthwhile investments back into the community:p

Im wrapt that Punt Rd will remain our home forever. Can you imagine what it must be like for the maggot faithful to rejoice back at the lexus centre after a win, be like rounding up everyone and meeting at the nearest "Fitness First" centre for a few juices. Walk into Puntrd and the tradition and character of the place smacks you in the face....lexus centre= big brother house:p

UpTheGuts said:

I thought he'd come out recently and said we were aiming to wipe the debt in 2 years time, will see if I can find the link.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truetiger said:
Gotta Vote bracks now surely after putting that much money into the club :) :thumbsu:

Hah!

Are you so easily bought?

Take the money, but don't succumb to election stunts. This isn't Brack's money, it's OUR taxes.

You can still vote for either party, you can be sure the liberals won't scrap footy funding when they get in.

Crumden said:

I would imaging that the Jack Dyer Foundation will continue to source donations for this purpose.

I think it would be interesting to put together a list of achievements that have come from the JDF... it would start to add up when you think of it!

UpTheGuts said:

The biggest hoot in this article is that they are going to develop Victoria Park, not the Lexus Centre!

The project will mean major overhauls of much-loved former AFL match venues that are now club training and administrative bases including MC Labour Park (formerly Princes Park), Punt Road Oval, Moorabbin, Windy Hill, Arden Street , Victoria Park and Waverley Park.

Several of the one-time AFL venues will undergo significant redevelopment as part of the project. Among the grandstands that will disappear include:

- the Pratt and Gardiner stands at MC Labour Park
- the Richmond Social Club stand at Punt Road
- both grandstands at Moorabbin
- the upper level of the Rush Stand at Victoria Park

Other grandstands such as the Cookson Stand at Windy Hill, the Heroes and Harris stands at MC Labour Park, the Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Road and the Ryder and Sherrin stands at Victoria Park will all undergo major refurbishment.

A lot of good news on the business side of things keeps coming from the club since Casey retired. Best thing that happened to us not having a meddling president (for once)

Tigers get green light for Punt Road redevelopment
1:03:10 PM Wed 7 June, 2006
richmondfc.com.au

The Richmond Football Club has received the go-ahead for a $6.5 million redevelopment of Punt Road Oval.

State Premier Steve Bracks and AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou today announced the upgrade as part of the $55 million Victorian AFL Club Facilities Funding Program at a packed media conference in the Punt Road Social Club.

Richmond’s CEO Steven Wright said the funding was a huge boost and would provide improved facilities for the Club’s training, football administration and social activities.

"This is fantastic news. We would like to acknowledge the great support we have received from the Bracks Government, the City of Melbourne and the AFL,” Wright said.

“Punt Road has been the home of the Richmond Football Club for more than 120 years, and it's a very special place to Tiger fans.

“The new training facilities for our players will enable us to compete on an even keel with the interstate clubs.

“Our members, supporters and the local community will also be able to utilise and enjoy the new Social Club and community rooms at Punt Road."

The State Government is contributing $2 million towards the Punt Road redevelopment, with the City of Melbourne also providing $2 million (subject to budget process) and the AFL $1.5 million. Richmond will fund the extra $1 million needed to complete the project.

The upgrade of Punt Road Oval includes:

• Demolishing the existing Social Club building and developing a new, integrated football administration and training facility, with a gymnasium and supporting player facilities; lecture theatre; improved toilet and change-room facilities to support the current indoor swimming pool.

• Reinstating the Jack Dyer Stand to its former historical form.

• Developing a new RFC Museum and Hall of Fame on ground level.

• Developing new change-rooms for the Richmond Cricket Club and community football played at the ground.

• Developing new offices for community groups.

• Developing a new building on the eastern side of the Jack Dyer Stand with a community function room; RFC Social Club facility; sports medicine suites, ground level car-park.

Mr Bracks said the State Government was delighted to contribute $14 million to the approximately $55 million program to upgrade grounds and facilities for seven Melbourne-based AFL clubs.

“This program will transform existing facilities into multi-purpose sport and recreation venues suitable for a range of community activities,” Mr Bracks said.

“It will improve the performance of our AFL clubs and offer more opportunities for the clubs to connect with the community.

“The program will be used to upgrade training facilities and administration offices, and provide new meeting spaces, function rooms and recreational facilities for local community groups.

Mr Demetriou said the AFL’s $10.3 million contribution towards the program over three years would ensure Victorian AFL clubs had facilities to match the professionalism and strength of Australia’s number one sport and enable all Melbourne-based clubs to compete with facilities of the non-Victorian clubs.

“This will improve the on-field performance, but, importantly, it will also improve the connection between the Richmond Football Club and the local community and continue to build Richmond as a major participant in the economic and social fabric of Victoria,” Mr Demetriou said.

The Minister for Sport and Recreation, Justin Madden, said the Victorian AFL Club Facilities Funding Program was a great example of a successful partnership between governments, sports bodies and communities working to increase sport and recreation opportunities for all Victorians.

“This program was developed in partnership with clubs and local councils to ensure it meets community needs,” Mr Madden said.

271969dq.jpg

271975dv.jpg

I "WAS" excited, but those pics are very unispiring.

The thing is I like to be outside and enjoy the pre match barbies and aftermatch functions where I can stand outside have a beer and a snag, watch the kids have a kick of the footy and soak up the Punt Rd atmosphere. Sorry but what I see here doesn't really do it for me.
And the big roller door - Is that the access to the new parking - ROFL :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back