Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

Last edited:
That its their land we live on. Nobody else has that claim, nobody else living here no matter where they came from.
Everyone else is either a settler or a coloniser.

So not acknowledging that in our constitution is racist, acting like the reverse is also racist is what s**t head colonisers argue

Are these ...head colonisers: anyone who dares to question how this legislation is supposed to work

For the best possible voice, we need Price’s practical eye​

eSenator Jacinta Price is congratulated by Senator Jana Stewart and other indigenous Senators, Pat Dodson and Malarndirri McCarthy after she gave a passionate maiden speech in the Senate Chamber in Parliament House in Canberra. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gary Ramage
Senator Jacinta Price is congratulated by Senator Jana Stewart and other indigenous Senators, Pat Dodson and Malarndirri McCarthy after she gave a passionate maiden speech in the Senate Chamber in Parliament House in Canberra.

Are these ...head colonisers: anyone who dares to question how this legislation is supposed to work

For the best possible voice, we need Price’s practical eye​

eSenator Jacinta Price is congratulated by Senator Jana Stewart and other indigenous Senators, Pat Dodson and Malarndirri McCarthy after she gave a passionate maiden speech in the Senate Chamber in Parliament House in Canberra. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gary Ramage
Senator Jacinta Price is congratulated by Senator Jana Stewart and other indigenous Senators, Pat Dodson and Malarndirri McCarthy after she gave a passionate maiden speech in the Senate Chamber in Parliament House in Canberra.
That article is unedited, and I'd like to know how one 'radiates indigeneity', or how someone not racist can compose that sentence. It's a bit gross.

It also has a bob both ways several times over: the referendum campaign was flawed because it didn't release any details, but it's a backdown by admitting to the flaw and promising to release details as we get closer. I don't approve of this measure, but Jacinta Price should be the Voice if it gets up.

I'm also interested by how usually, when I click on a link to the Australian, I get paywalled but not this time. Is Rupert up to his old tricks, dropping the paywall on some articles to set the narrative?

No.

But classifying a person based upon their skin colour in a derogatory sense is racist. Pure and simple.

Even you should be able to get your head around that.
Hear hear, I think the forum should definitely be lectured to on racism by a bloke that called me a teaspoon aboriginal because it was only my great grandmother that was First Nations.
Classic Bwuce!😂🤣👏👏

If a troll with a sense of humour were to set up two accounts with the aim to represent two people in support of this idea who seek to make some people laugh at their absurdity and others who were on the fence about this idea to be less comfortable to support it..

Then there is no way they could have done a better job than campbell followed by Ghost Patrol in the last few pages.

If a troll with a sense of humour were to set up two accounts with the aim to represent two people in support of this idea who seek to make some people laugh at their absurdity and others who were on the fence about this idea to be less comfortable to support it..

Then there is no way they could have done a better job than campbell followed by Ghost Patrol in the last few pages.

Yeah you were certainly on the fence, so you can comfortably speak for that cohort.

Doomed to fail.

If a white person called a white person a monkey, would you think it's racist?

If kids were swinging on play equipment and grandma said " oh you look like a bunch of monkey's " it would not be racist, if one of them was black it is similarly not racist. If they happened to be all black? It wouldn't go down well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've shifted discussion which is every trolls wet dream, but I'm familiar enough with each poster to believe they're serious. I wonder how they would feel about someone being insulted for being white on the outside and black on the inside.

The one indigenous voice that I know is in this thread, a thread specifically about indigenous voice, is getting hounded for using a term that I think they should be able to use.

That's my position. If people think I am wrong, so be it.

Perhaps its offensive to white people.

If i called someone a white aboriginal .
That's offensive all round. It assumes that there is something inferior or wrong about them, and associates that inferiority with the entire race.

So calling someone a black whiteman? Coconut? Something wrong with what they are doing?

I get it. In the film Django Unchained , Samuel L Jackson would be the Coconut.
But wait , Django made friends with a White German guy and Django was a non-conformist as well?

I haven't seen anyone offended by its use here , but i don't think its a term that should be publicly used.
It could prompt the use of the inverse.

If an indigenous person from a remote community won a scholarship and got into university, and became a lawyer or similar. If he came back to his home, would he get called a Coconut? Would that be OK?

Didn’t say it.

I’ll add this. Once you get down to a single aboriginal great grandparent I think it’s a little silly to be laying claim to significant indigenous heritage but I have never written it in such crass terms as you have just claimed and if I had, I’d have been abruptly suspended by those who can’t wait to push that particular button.
Yeh ya did.
I’ll add blatant liar to all the other hideous things you represent in life!

I hope real debate and discussion about indigenous voice isn't derailed this easily.

I hope real debate and discussion about indigenous voice isn't derailed this easily.
He’s a pig, I’ve never made claim to be aboriginal or identified as one, even though myself and several family members have been mistreated and degraded because of our heritage.
We’ve looked into our family tree and have closed off all our European bloodline, but god(lol) forbid we celebrate our great grandmother on my mothers side because she’s First Nation.
That would be “a little silly to be laying claim to significant indigenous heritage”.
I’ve never laid claim to anything, he’s the reason this referendum this will get dirty, disgusting inhuman is Bruce.

He’s a pig, I’ve never made claim to be aboriginal or identified as one, even though myself and several family members have been mistreated and degraded because of our heritage.
We’ve looked into our family tree and have closed off all our European bloodline, but god(lol) forbid we celebrate our great grandmother on my mothers side because she’s First Nation.
That would be “a little silly to be laying claim to significant indigenous heritage”.
I’ve never laid claim to anything, he’s the reason this referendum this will get dirty, disgusting inhuman is Bruce.
You know I love ya, mate. Even so, I'll stay out of this one.

You know I love ya, mate. Even so, I'll stay out of this one.
Cheers guv, not asking for support, never have, rarely will, I fight my own fights.
I don’t identify as indigenous, perhaps that may change, our family just want to rewrite our families story, it was whitewashed, not only through racism, but through fear of the next generation suffering at the hands of racist campaigners like Bruce and others in here.

Cheers guv, not asking for support, never have, rarely will, I fight my own fights.
I don’t identify as indigenous, perhaps that may change, our family just want to rewrite our families story, it was whitewashed, not only through racism, but through fear of the next generation suffering at the hands of racist campaigners like Bruce and others in here.
It is worth note as well that Bruce’s claim that once you get down to the last great grand parent was the whole point of all forms of disgusting separation and intervention by the state

It will be 25, more time to build a yes case and so the ALP can get maximum political benefit.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Risky strategy. If the public turns against Labor and the Liberals campaign against the referendum, then it'll be even harder for the yes camp.

The proposed question/amendment is stupid and no treaty. I will be voting no.

Risky strategy. If the public turns against Labor and the Liberals campaign against the referendum, then it'll be even harder for the yes camp.

Why is it stupid?

I don't think the ALP really cares if it gets up or not, they just want to.divide the LNP and will win either way by claiming credit for a yes or blaming the LNP for a no which will work in the marginal city electorates thay decide the election.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back