Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is the biggest market is Victoria and new fans are being sought in Qld and NSW. WA and SA are tapped out already so why do more for those states? Why bother with Tasmania if the population isn't here to bring in $$? It's all focused on money first.

As a national comp, it's fairly young. Only 30 years of being the AFL in an evolution from the VFL... I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, bigger clubs staged some sort of move to break away. May take decades. But it will only take the likes of Collingwood/Richmond and some others to make it happen. If they decide the benefits outweigh sticking with outdated concepts.
As I understand it, the problem with tassi is tmall small population as you noted, no money other than Govt handouts and the already small population is divided between Launseston and Hobart - a good days drive apart and they hate each other.

As I understand it, the problem with tassi is tmall small population as you noted, no money other than Govt handouts and the already small population is divided between Launseston and Hobart - a good days drive apart and they hate each other.
Surely a Tassie team domiciled in Hobart (or Launceston) would draw a crowd of 15-20,000 av. per week which would be more than both GWS and GC do ....... and they have both been established for some time now.

Tom Scully taking a break from footy "personal reasons".

Worth considering if this guy has ever been worth pick #1, regardless of Dustin Martin at #3.

Surely a Tassie team domiciled in Hobart (or Launceston) would draw a crowd of 15-20,000 av. per week which would be more than both GWS and GC do ....... and they have both been established for some time now.
You underestimate Tassie people's unwillingness to drive more than 30 minutes...

Considering retirement apparently.

Would probably struggle to make the top 10 players that year.

He probably would, but that speaks more about just how awful that draft year was

Some very ordinary players in the top half of that draft in hindsight

He probably would, but that speaks more about just how awful that draft year was

Some very ordinary players in the top half of that draft in hindsight
Fyfe, Dusty, Gawn, Duncan, Talia, Cunnington, Barlow, Jetta, Shep, Gunston, Astbury would all give him a run for his money.

I can understand their unwillingness to drive across bridges but surely a new footy team would get them interested?
Not if they have to travel every second week.

The issue is where the team plays. I could see it potentially working if it's alternated every second home game but if they're going to predominantly play out of one stadium then it would have to be York Park, due to being a better ground, as well as being more accessible for the majority of Tasmania's population.

The issue with that is that Launceston would be boring as batshit for any young AFL players and to keep them interested they'd need to base the team in Hobart.

If games were played most at one of the grounds then I could see people getting very bored of travelling after rounds 9-10. Anything more than 40 minutes is too far for a lot of born and bred people in Tasmania.

I was born in Perth and we'd think nothing of driving down to Margaret River for a weekend when I was a kid before we moved to Tassie, yet I've met people on the west coast who haven't been past Devonport their entire lives, and these people are 50+ years old...

Not if they have to travel every second week.

The issue is where the team plays. I could see it potentially working if it's alternated every second home game but if they're going to predominantly play out of one stadium then it would have to be York Park, due to being a better ground, as well as being more accessible for the majority of Tasmania's population.

The issue with that is that Launceston would be boring as batshit for any young AFL players and to keep them interested they'd need to base the team in Hobart.

If games were played most at one of the grounds then I could see people getting very bored of travelling after rounds 9-10. Anything more than 40 minutes is too far for a lot of born and bred people in Tasmania.

I was born in Perth and we'd think nothing of driving down to Margaret River for a weekend when I was a kid before we moved to Tassie, yet I've met people on the west coast who haven't been past Devonport their entire lives, and these people are 50+ years old...

No offence intended, but do you know the reason behind such behaviour?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously! Taz would just be another seive in the system , struggling to stay afloat. There's enough of those already. The comp needs less teams , not more

Tassie team would be fine, Geelong thrives on a smaller pop,

There's Mona Cadbury, cascade, boags, for sponsors, Hobart would be pretty trendy to live with 4 games in launny

No offence intended, but do you know the reason behind such behaviour?
Tasmanians can be quite insular. They don't like to move around much and are very happy in their comfort zones. I guess growing up in a state where you may only go to Hobart a handful of times before you're in your 20s if you're from the North, or nowhere other than the East coast if you're from Hobart because you simply don't think there's any point going elsewhere, will do that to you.

Obviously not everyone's like this but people would much rather a weekend away in Melbourne than stay the night in Launceston or Hobart. There's also the factor that of those Tasmanians who do travel around the state a lot, most of them are into bushwalking, climbing and that sort of thing but not so much into ball sports. Those who are into footy and such don't tend to travel around the state much due to the demographic they tend to hail from.

It's pretty stereotypical but stereotypes are strong in Tasmania.

Personally, I've long been against a team in Tasmania. Not because I don't want them to have one, I just think people are too caught up on the romance rather than the practicality and I'd hate to see a team fail down there.

Last edited:
I’m not one to read opposition boards but curiosity got the better of me and stumbled across this gem posted without a hint of irony

WCE have made the Prelim stage once in the last 5 yrs, which kinda confirms what you are saying. Thier problem is they are just an ave team outside Perth, might explain why thier fans are so obsessed with playing us in Perth, they know they can't beat us at the 'G, not even with a 5 goal head start...

I’m not one to read opposition boards but curiosity got the better of me and stumbled across this gem posted without a hint of irony
I've had a bit of a gut full of the west coast v Richmond rivalry on these forums. We desperately need to match up in a final this year to sort it out. Pretty amazing that both teams have played finals in 5 of the last 6 seasons and have never met.

Actually beating them would be a good start. One win in ... Four years? :poo:

Only played them 4 times in those 4 years

One game in Perth, two at the MCG and one at Carrara (off a 4 day break which included settling back into to a hub)

Lost the two games at the MCG by 6 (2017) points and 11 points (2019) after leading both at halftime.

Won in Perth by 47 (that game also had the highest ever attendance between the two clubs)

Incidentally we haven’t played them twice in the same year since 2009 (We were scheduled to be play them twice in 2019 before s**t hit the fan)

Just looked at the head to head.
We have played Richmond 45 times, 21 of these were our home game.

West Coast have won 26, tigers 19.

There have only been 13 away wins in that time, 9 to West Coast and 4 to the Tigers.
Richmond did not defeat us at home until 2001, and have subsequently only won here in 2008, 2014 and 2016.

Just looked at the head to head.
We have played Richmond 45 times, 21 of these were our home game.

West Coast have won 26, tigers 19.

There have only been 13 away wins in that time, 9 to West Coast and 4 to the Tigers.
Richmond did not defeat us at home until 2001, and have subsequently only won here in 2008, 2014 and 2016.

We won in 2016

Losses were in 2001,08,13 & 14

All years we didn’t make finals

Hmm
One of the Eagles ‘home’ wins was at Waverley Park in 1991, so away wins more like 10-5 with that and the neutral 2020 game.
Although to be fair not all away games were MCG. Two early ones were at Waverley and one at Princes Park.
There have been 4 at whatever Docklands was called at that time and now one at Carrara
(We won ten games against them in a row from 1989-1994)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back