Certified Legendary Thread REIMAGINE MOORABBIN (Total Raised: $10,360.25)

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if the oval is used officially by anyone on monday nights? Need to start running for pre-pre-season and having goals up still means you can do kicking practice.

I often wish that we still played some games at Moorabbin...i was a young kid in the late sixties early seventies, my cousins house was very close to the ground and we would make money parking as many cars as we could in the drive way as could fit. I remember the amount of people that would pour out of the train.
I use to dream that one day there would be an AVENUE OF HONOR running down Central Avenue linking up with Gwenda Ave to Linton, direct to the front entrance... STATUES OF PAST GREAT PLAYERS LINING THE STREET EITHER SIDE amongst leafy green trees. Would have been pretty cool to take the grand son past all the greats as we pondered the outcome of the game we were to watch..

I often wish that we still played some games at Moorabbin...i was a young kid in the late sixties early seventies, my cousins house was very close to the ground and we would make money parking as many cars as we could in the drive way as could fit. I remember the amount of people that would pour out of the train.
I use to dream that one day there would be an AVENUE OF HONOR running down Central Avenue linking up with Gwenda Ave to Linton, direct to the front entrance... STATUES OF PAST GREAT PLAYERS LINING THE STREET EITHER SIDE amongst leafy green trees. Would have been pretty cool to take the grand son past all the greats as we pondered the outcome of the game we were to watch..
Hopefully we can play a pre-season game at Moorabbin. Also, I'm quite sure the girls team will play home games there too.

my cousins house was very close to the ground and we would make money parking as many cars as we could in the drive way as could fit. I remember the amount of people that would pour out of the train.

You've triggered some memories there prophetic1.

I remember as a kid walking to the ground thru the back streets off South Road and seeing heaps of houses with the parking sign out the front and envious of the kids making extra bucks.

Arrhhh....those were the days.

The move to Moorabin will really start gaining momentum if we can get as many games as possible there. Hope the club gets a big turnout, makes it our family day, and we get a win.

You've triggered some memories there prophetic1.

I remember as a kid walking to the ground thru the back streets off South Road and seeing heaps of houses with the parking sign out the front and envious of the kids making extra bucks.

Arrhhh....those were the days.
Yeah very old memories but good ones.....my cousin and i would walk around the standing area after the game, through the trash and find all the coins that people would drop...sometimes, very rarely, a note. Then down to the Milk Bar on the corner of Barilla Rd and the Highway.... blow parking money and finders money on lollies. My God how many musk sticks, anniseed balls, gob stoppers and cobbers could you buy for a couple of dollars back then!!!

Things are starting with the new Aquatic centre and grandstand.

The piling company was on site this morning and drilling.....for soil samples I assume.....was being undertaken.

A couple of large rebar coils were also on site.

Last I was told early Dec was that construction was to commence early March.

Things are starting with the new Aquatic centre and grandstand.

The piling company was on site this morning and drilling.....for soil samples I assume.....was being undertaken.

A couple of large rebar coils were also on site.

Last I was told early Dec was that construction was to commence early March.
Is this the final stage? If so when are they expecting final completion?

If the plans haven't changed.....there is still to be another indoor basketball court to be built next to the current one.......that would then complete all the project....I haven't heard a date for that.

Interesting Article - Maybe the club should have built the new facility with a more grand stand style structure?

Interesting Article - Maybe the club should have built the new facility with a more grand stand style structure?

The 1,000 stand in front of the pool facility will start construction after the AFLW season starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in theory you could build seating on the other wing. seating will go behind the goals.

you don't need a massive capacity. i wonder what the change over is financially where it makes more sense to have the game at moorabbin as opposed to etihad. like what's the sweet spot? would it be < 20k? <25k?

you don't need a massive capacity. i wonder what the change over is financially where it makes more sense to have the game at moorabbin as opposed to etihad. like what's the sweet spot? would it be < 20k? <25k?
15k might do it for games against the smaller non-vic sides. i.e you'd make more from 15k at Moorabbin than 18-20k at Marvel

15k might do it for games against the smaller non-vic sides. i.e you'd make more from 15k at Moorabbin than 18-20k at Marvel
But thats preventing 5k people for attending a game they otherwise would have if it was played at our home ground.

If we are aiming for 50,000 members this year and obviously wanting to grow that number, we cant be playing at a ground that wouldn't hold even a third of our membership base.

in theory you could build seating on the other wing. seating will go behind the goals.

In the 27 years that we played there we never averaged 30,000 in attendance. Biggest turnout to a game at Moorabbin was funnily enough the first game we played there, Round 1, 1965 against Collingwood. 51,370. I highly doubt there's even room for that there now, given the Huggins stand has been demolished.

I was there on Sunday and it looked packed, they had to shut the gates once it hit our AFLW capacity (8000). Whilst it looked packed there was still plenty of room on the outer wing to fit more people.

I don't think we could crack 30,000, I assume it would be like a tin of sardines. I'd probably say 20-25,000 we may be able to facilitate.

Heading there next Thursday for the first game of the pre-season against the Hawks. It's free entry for members but I got tickets anyway because it's probably going to be absolutely packed. Interested to see the figures post game. Will also give the club a good indication of how many people it can hold.

Playing regular home games there though is a very, very long way away. Almost impossible.

Does anyone else feel weird about this feature wall?
I find it weird that they put current players on the wall as a feature in the first place, with the current state of player movement. Surely we could find a club legend to have instead..
That’s better
99F32FF1-1D3C-47BB-9ABB-A82F891FBDC2.jpeg
The wall previously featured a picture with the players running through the banner with Stuv front and centre.

In the 27 years that we played there we never averaged 30,000 in attendance. Biggest turnout to a game at Moorabbin was funnily enough the first game we played there, Round 1, 1965 against Collingwood. 51,370. I highly doubt there's even room for that there now, given the Huggins stand has been demolished.

I was there on Sunday and it looked packed, they had to shut the gates once it hit our AFLW capacity (8000). Whilst it looked packed there was still plenty of room on the outer wing to fit more people.

I don't think we could crack 30,000, I assume it would be like a tin of sardines. I'd probably say 20-25,000 we may be able to facilitate.

Heading there next Thursday for the first game of the pre-season against the Hawks. It's free entry for members but I got tickets anyway because it's probably going to be absolutely packed. Interested to see the figures post game. Will also give the club a good indication of how many people it can hold.

Playing regular home games there though is a very, very long way away. Almost impossible.

The council have capped capacity at 8000 + workers/Volunteers etc. There were people with clickers on each gate on Sunday. We have to shut the gates when that is reached. Thats why it didnt look "full" per se.

There will only be 8000 let in next Thurs, so Id grab one of those GA ticket upgrade folks...

The council have capped capacity at 8000 + workers/Volunteers etc. There were people with clickers on each gate on Sunday. We have to shut the gates when that is reached. Thats why it didnt look "full" per se.

There will only be 8000 let in next Thurs, so Id grab one of those GA ticket upgrade folks...
Club is actually working to increase capacity for next Thursday. To what extent I'm not sure, but they realise that more than 8000 will turn up and don't want to turn away so many people.

Would they have to restrict/abandon member’s free access to the Hawk’s game, so as to ensure all ticket holders get in?
No it's first in first served.

They are selling tickets on Ticketmaster (which we bought). Surely that guarantees you get in?
Well members get in free and they can't stop the first 8000 that turn up to then be sent home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back