Religion Religions and rudeness.

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly don't know what the penalty is. There's a range from warnings to fines to disbarment.

But there's a fair bit comes into it. Notwithstanding police reports and Royal Commission findings, Mulkearns sworn evidence right up until he died was that he wasn't aware of the extent of Ridsdale's offending until some 5 years after the police found he was. So perhaps they're relying on that.

Also the nature of the civil suit itself might come into play. Civil suits are about obtaining compensation and damages. They're not supposed to be about retribution. Now your description on this forum has largely been about retribution (and I don't blame you for that). If the lawyers involved have adopted a similar type stance then I can see why the Defence lawyers might have dug the trench in the way they appear to have. They're preparing for war rather than negotiation and settlement. But again, I'm not privy to the actual documents or the facts of the case so I'm just speculating.

Now before I say the next bit I want to be clear that MY BELIEF is that Mulkearns knew more about Ridsdale's offending earlier than he says he did. That said.....

The Judge needs to be a bit cautious here. Just because a Royal Commission makes a finding, does not mean that finding is a fact that can't be denied in a court proceeding. There are different evidentiary standards at Royal Commissions. If he's about to beat up on the Defence based on what he's read in the press or the Royal Commission summaries he's leaving himself wide open for appeal. If, however, he's basing his position on documents in front of him, or evidence from previous cases, then that's a different matter.
I’m not about retribution - I’m about making the campaigners accountable - at the Royal Commission they submitted prior knowledge / CCI stopped providing coverage from 1975 onwards because of it. It seems to me to be pure arrogance and I can tell you very aggravating.

Ok I've read the Judgement now.

The denial relating to paragraphs 4 and non admission relating to paragraph 5 of the Statement of Claim are reasonable. The Statement of Claim is clumsily worded in the legal context. The Defence would argue that an admission to this paragraph is effectively an admission that sexual abuse of minors was "a priestly duty". The admission that he was at all times a diocesan priest is I think a reasonable compromise. The paragraph 5 claim is a silly one. I don't see how you can plead that as a fact and it is rightfully not admitted. It's a thing that is understood by the broader community but the Church has no statutory authority to give any priest any type of power in the legal sense. And an admission in this regard precludes any contest in any matter in the future. The judge should have simply moved past that as it's a case of "probabilities" and it would be well understood that the relationship between the perpetrator and the victim was certainly one of an imbalance of power.

As to who knew what and when, I don't know enough of the specifics. It would seem to be a pretty dumb thing to deny though. There were certainly enough people with enough knowledge of Ridsdale's offending that it is futile to put that into issue. Far better to (from a tactical sense) run the argument that "Yes, he knew, he took advice and that advice was that it was ok for us to send Ridsdale back out." The consequence will only be legal costs.

Why is it religions think they have the right to force their garbage onto everyone else.

Most people who love fairytales just enjoy it and don't feel the need to push it on others.

Not cults.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Very annoying but that's the worst that Christians do. I personally think they're delusional but at least they help the community. Look at what Islamists do. They help no-one other than fellow Muslims and if you're a non-believer they dispose you and many of them want to exterminate you.

Last edited:
Very annoying but that's the worst that Christians do. I personally think they're delusional but at least they help the community. Look at what Islamists do. They help no-one other than fellow Muslims and if you're a non-believer they dispose you and many of them want to exterminate you.
Not true. Uganda anti-homosexuality act, 2014

In NZ mosque shooter Brenton Tarrant's manifesto, he wrote "let our lives be stronger than death to fight against the enemies of the Christian people."

Let's not forget abortion clinic bombings either. Just a few examples of Christian terrorism.

In NZ mosque shooter Brenton Tarrant's manifesto, he wrote "let our lives be stronger than death to fight against the enemies of the Christian people."

Let's not forget abortion clinic bombings either. Just a few examples of Christian terrorism.

Please let’s not play the most murderous doctrine game. Atheist Communists always win that one.

Please let’s not play the most murderous doctrine game. Atheist Communists always win that one.
I'm glad you agree that Christ-inspired terrorism is a real thing.

Communism is a philosophy and ideology. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. They're not even in the same ballpark.

Nobody has committed terrorism or murder because they were inspired by their unbelief in gods...as far as I'm aware. If you disagree, please provide examples.

I'm glad you agree that Christ-inspired terrorism is a real thing.

Communism is a philosophy and ideology. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. They're not even in the same ballpark.

Nobody has committed terrorism or murder because they were inspired by their unbelief in gods...as far as I'm aware. If you disagree, please provide examples.

None so dishonest as those who would excuse their own doctrine on terms that they’d hang others.

Communist atheists have slaughtered in the millions those who they perceive to threaten their doctrine. Including and especially Catholics.

The difference is Catholics and others in the Middle Ages especially used their religion as an excuse for their slaughter which was really based mostly on money and power.

Communist atheists on the other hand necessarily slaughter the religious in the modern age because they are religious.

None so dishonest as those who would excuse their own doctrine on terms that they’d hang others.

Communist atheists have slaughtered in the millions those who they perceive to threaten their doctrine. Including and especially Catholics.

The difference is Catholics and others in the Middle Ages especially used their religion as an excuse for their slaughter which was really based mostly on money and power.

Communist atheists on the other hand necessarily slaughter the religious in the modern age because they are religious.
You're being intellectually dishonest.

There is no atheist doctrine. Atheism is the lack of belief in gods; nothing more, nothing less. Is there a doctrine for people who don't believe in Bigfoot? :think:

I'm not denying that atheists have committed terrorism and murder, much the same that disbelievers in Bigfoot have committed terrorism and murder. I'm merely asking you to produce evidence that their disbelief in gods was the inspiration.

Really? You want to go down the path of comparing the Islamic crimes against humanity to the Chistian crimes against humanity? Prepare for "Shock and awe".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it religions think they have the right to force their garbage onto everyone else.

Most people who love fairytales just enjoy it and don't feel the need to push it on others.

Not cults.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Great stuff from the gray headed gent ,we don't need that religious zealotry in Australia.

You're being intellectually dishonest.

There is no atheist doctrine. Atheism is the lack of belief in gods; nothing more, nothing less. Is there a doctrine for people who don't believe in Bigfoot? :think:

I'm not denying that atheists have committed terrorism and murder, much the same that disbelievers in Bigfoot have committed terrorism and murder. I'm merely asking you to produce evidence that their disbelief in gods was the inspiration.
Atheists are extremely efficient mass murderers.

Really? You want to go down the path of comparing the Islamic crimes against humanity to the Chistian crimes against humanity? Prepare for "Shock and awe".

Hitler was closely affiliated with the Catholic Church.

He claimed to be doing god's work, and their motto was 'with god on our side.' This was even inscribed on the Nazi's belt buckles.

He was seemingly a devout Christian and made many many quotes to this affect.

If it's a knob measuring contest then you're going to have to do well to ever top Hitler.

Atheists are extremely efficient mass murderers.
Is that preferable to being an inefficient mass murderer?

If I'm going to be murdered, I'd rather it be quick and easy. Give me a sharp guillotine over a crucifixion every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I don't think there's ever been enough guillotines to account for the atheist death toll.

Who are the people that have committed mass murders on the basis of their unbelief in a god?
God believes in no beings higher than himself, so is best defined as an atheist. According to his own biography, he's also a mass murderer.

Therefore, god commits mass killings because he doesn't believe in a god.

Checkmate, atheists!

Faith needs no science..science needs science.. you can’t question me for faith by using science and then you’re using faith about science .. which isn’t supposed to be about faith

For example.. one plus one equals two.. we can prove it...that’s mathematics science...

Faith is about mystery.. I think we are both looking at mystery.. both faith. Your faith is in science..

Which is actually humorous and not logical...

I don’t believe that everything should be logical.it might be abstract,,etc... but I can prove how science should be sciencentific and not mysterious..

This is where we differ.. I’m actually more logical..

You should find a scientist and ask him questions.. some will surprise you and be religious.. and those that are not have no answers and they admit it! I’m not sure how u don’t get that!

What is this utter drivel?

If you are trying to argue that religious people aren't stupid, or in some way trying to defend your position, then I humbly suggest that you cease posting immediately. You are you doing yourself any favors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back