Reports from U18 championships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by RooMatera
Being Chidlow's best mate, I was running with him last year at Perilakes Stadium in Perth. He clocked a 11.24 only to be pipped by me. 10.83 :p
That is ****ing quick. If you have half decent skills, you might be a chance of getting picked up!

He is worth a 3rd round pick though, isn't he?

IMO no. Standing at 188cm tall, he generally played forward at junior level, though not tall enough at AFL level (David Haynes proves my theory wrong anywho...) Not quite having the classy hand and foot skills like some of the other WA boys who run through the center like Surjan, Priddis or Chidlow.

Being 17, he still could have a bit more growth in him and prove me wrong.

That is ****ing quick. If you have half decent skills, you might be a chance of getting picked up!

shoulder.jpg

Thats why.
Prior to that I also had my kicking foot burnt in a house fire, then having plastic surgery on it.

I haven't played a game in 1 and a half years though often down the park with Chidlow having a kick.

Oh, also another indication. Rockingham u16's. (All of us 15 at the time playing up)
Our midfield, Daniel Gilbert (me), Daniel Chidlow, Daniel Wells.
Wellsy was the slowest.

shoulder.jpg

Thats why.
Prior to that I also had my kicking foot burnt in a house fire, then having plastic surgery on it.

I haven't played a game in 1 and a half years though often down the park with Chidlow having a kick.
Ouch. Sounds like you would have been drafted if not for the burns, bad luck.

Ouch. Sounds like you would have been drafted if not for the burns, bad luck.

burns are on the foot.
shoulder = inserted metal plate holding collar bone together after I took out mark of the millennium at school during a sports class. Dove head first comming down to earth. Lucky i was knocked out for awhile, didnt feel the pain :D :D :D

'I hope I did't brain my damage'`H.Simpson

burns are on the foot.
shoulder = inserted metal plate holding collar bone together after I took out mark of the millennium at school during a sports class. Dove head first comming down to earth. Lucky i was knocked out for awhile, didnt feel the pain :D :D :D

'I hope I did't brain my damage'`H.Simpson
:p

Rams too strong for Thunder
1:47:51 PM Tue 8 July, 2003
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au
NSW/ACT has won its second game of the National AFL Under-18 championships with a hard fought 19-point victory over the Northern Territory, which lost its second match of the carnival.

The Rams 12.8 (80) defeated the Thunder 9.7 (61) in sunny, yet cool conditions in the first of the double-header at Skilled Stadium in Geelong on Tuesday.

After an even contest in the opening half, NSW/ACT booted six goals to three after half-time to set up the win, while the Northern Territory faded in the second-half, although not to the extent that it did in its first game of the tournament last Saturday.

NSW/ACT’s Jayden Kotzur starred for the Rams with five goals – including three in the opening nine minutes of the match – to continue an impressive start to the championships.

Kotzur’s NSW/ACT teammates’ Nick Potter (23 disposals), Brad Cross (20 possessions) and Shaun Daly (19 touches) were also fine players, while the athletic Nick Braybon once again caught the eye, with eight marks, six tackles and six inside 50s, on top of his two goals. His presence for the Rams was a key factor in the overall result.

Northern Territory duo Raphael Clarke and Joel Campbell booted three goals each, while Johno Mullins (24 disposals) was his side’s highest possession winner. Key Territory pair Tom Logan and Cameron Ilett were also among the Thunder’s best.

NSW/ACT started the game in a blaze of glory, but it was the Kotzur show, as the Rams’ midfielder posted three goals from three kicks. Raphael Clarke opened the Thunder’s account late in the term, but the Rams led by 13 points at quarter-time.

Braybon opened the second term for NSW/ACT to extend the lead to 20 points, as the Rams looked set to break away from the Northern Territory. However, the Thunder fought back with four in a row to pinch the lead in an impressive comeback. But two late goals from the Rams helped them regain the lead by three points at half-time.

Kotzur kicked his fourth to begin the second-half, while NSW/ACT booted four goals to one for the quarter to lead by 20 points heading into the final break.

The Rams added three goals to one in the final quarter and when Kotzur posted his fifth, the combine was never in doubt.

NSW/ACT: 3.4 6.7 10.7 12.8 (80)
NORTHERN TERRITORY: 1.3 6.4 7.5 9.7 (61)

GOALS: NSW/ACT: Kotzur 5, Braybon 2, Cross 2, Archibald, Daly, Nunan
Northern Territory: Campbell 3, Clarke 3, Pangiraminni 2, Bailey
BEST: NSW/ACT Daly, Braybon, Cross, Potter, Hodgson, Kotzur, O’Dwyer, Perrett
Northern Territory: Mullins, Campbell, Ilett, M.McLean, Logan, Smart
At Skilled Stadium

Anyone who went and saw it, tell me your thoughts.

Ok, I'm back from Geelong after seeing the Div 2 games today.

Just some random initial thoughts (haven't typed up my notes yet).

- Clarke was well beaten, he is not having the impact I expceted so far. Shaun Daly did a fantastic job on him. Clarke was led under the ball far too often and was wasted up forward until late in the game.

However, he did show a couple of flashes of brilliance, and 3 goals in a bad game is 3 goals better than most people would kick.

- Really liked Tom Logan's game - not polished or flashy, but he is very hard at it and courageous. Good mark too.

- Joel Campbell showed a couple of glimpses at full forward.

- Cameron Illet was pretty good, as was Johnno Mullins but he is too small. Tambling was disappointing.

- Kotzur had a very good game up forward, was burning first quarter.

- Nick Braybon was excellent. I hadn't been too impressed with him until today, but he took quite a few strong pack marks and presented well.

- Potter and Cross worked hard in the midfield.

In the other game, Queenland won by 55 points as Tassie continued to show very little. Some of the coaching moves were extremely hard to understand, for example Jesse Wells (the back-up ruckmam) sat on the bench until the game was well gone while Andrews struggled in the ruck. I've seen Andrews do OK up forward before, cannot understand why he wouldn't be tried when Tassie kicked 5 goals for the days.

Anyway, some quick points.

- Jay Drummond had a day out. 6.5 is a great day at the office. As these games are televised on Foxtel on Friday, no doubt people will start calling him the best player in the country. ;) Most of them were in general play, very good game.

- Bill Cleary was quiet early but showed some good signs again, 8 goals in 2 games now.

- Furfafo was impressive, he loves the rough stuff. There was a fair bit of niggle actually which was good. Queensland were pretty even really but a solid display.

- Robinson was good for Tassie, apart from that very little to get enthused about.

These games are on Foxtel on Friday.

Tomorrow is a very big day, Vic Metro v Country at 11AM, and WA v SA at 1:30 at Princes Park.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
These games are on Foxtel on Friday.

Tomorrow is a very big day, Vic Metro v Country at 11AM, and WA v SA at 1:30 at Princes Park.

Good report, not long home myself.
Tomorrows games are just outstanding with some great match-ups

<snipped>

What's the cost? I have the week off, and wouldn't mind going along for some quasi SOO footy....even if I have to traipse all the way to Opt-arse to get it;).

Cheers,

Kasey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grassy arse!

Is there a Record/Budget? I know squat about junior footy, how will I know who is who? I'll probably end up looking like a MFC/MCC type..."Oh yes, well played number 21, jolly good stuff!"

Cheers,

Kasey

Originally posted by Still Crowing
Grassy arse!

Is there a Record/Budget? I know squat about junior footy, how will I know who is who? I'll probably end up looking like a MFC/MCC type..."Oh yes, well played number 21, jolly good stuff!"

Cheers,

Kasey
Yes, they are free too! There is a box of them normally just plonked somewhere near the entrance to the grandstand.

The best players today IMO were Braybon (NSW/ACT) and Drummond (QLD) in the 2 games. Cleary was great as well.

Thanks to all.

I'll be the tall blonde guy in the Crows scarfe tomorrow if anyone wants to say g'day.

Carn the Crow(eater)s!

Kasey

Country were terrible. I thought they were a real show to win the title this year, but a lot of blokes went missing.

They certainly lifted their game today, knocking off Metro.

Apparently Blake starred for Country and Fergus Watts did well for Metro (going off reports only).

Getting excited about Mark Blake. Given how hard ruckman are to find, i'm sure he'd go top 10 if available.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
They certainly lifted their game today, knocking off Metro.

Apparently Blake starred for Country and Fergus Watts did well for Metro (going off reports only).

Getting excited about Mark Blake. Given how hard ruckman are to find, i'm sure he'd go top 10 if available.

Watts got towelled up by Ryan Murphy in the last quarter today. Actually Murphy moves a lot like Justin Leppitsch, good pair of hands and good disposal for a bloke over 190cm.

OK, just back from Princes Park. Some initial thoughts on a fantastic day at the footy, sun was shining, and all teams now have a win, leading to a big Sunday.

Vic Metro v Vic Country
- Great game, very entertaining. Country changed their structure a lot, and it paid dividends. Cosgriff to defence, Chaplin to CHF and Travers on the ball were all big winners.

- Blake was pretty good around the ground, but once again Ericksen was disappointing. Stewart did better.

- David Mundy was excellent in defence on Herrington. Herrington still kicked 3, but Mundy's game should not be underestimated.

- Fergus Watts was impressive in the first 3 quarters, but as cjw said, was cut up by Murphy in the last. Plenty to like though.

- Chris Stewart was good again.

- Brock McLean should be a top 10 pick. Tough, classy and finishes well. Smart footballer.

- Dyson was OK, a bit one-sided.

- Oswald had a much better game, while Sylvia struggled and Walker went missing after quarter time.

- Travers was great in the centre. I'm a big fan of his, can't believe he wasn't picked for the first game. Not quick, but a good footballer.

- McQualter did a number on Eddie Betts, and once again provided plenty the other way.

- Ryley Dunn showed his class a few times, Tenace flashes in and out, would like to see him dominate a full game.

- Chaplin is going to be a player. Some good marks.

SA v WA
SA by 10 points in a bit of a surprise, just too even across the ground.

- Cooney did a couple of things that were enough to make anyone applaud. A left foot goal from the boundary, and a right foot goal where he burned his opponent were brilliant. Looking more and more like a Bulldog every day.

- Keplar Bradley ran around everywhere. I think he started at CHB and was moved forward, but he did a bit of ruckwork and some ruck roving! He looks terribly awkward, and I'm still not convinced he is the smartest player, but he'd have to go very early.

- Kellett is slow. Got caught a couple of times. Still uses the footy sensationally, and is calm and smart, but I wonder if his pace will see him overlooked again.

- Michael Sumner was great for SA, used the ball well and provided a spark.

- Harry Miller kicked 3 in another good FP performance.

- Jay Nash was good.

- Dubienicki was good in the ruck again, especially in the last quarter.

- Adrian Curley attacked hard for WA.

- Moody was up forward again, 4 goals straight, impressive. Would like to see him a bit further up the ground, but looks good.

- Farren Ray had a lot of touches, but he doesn't balance when disposing at pace, and his kicking suffers because of it.

- Brent Hall was good in the ruck as well and Jacob Surjan looks a handy type.

- Chris Johnson went off in the 2nd quarter after doing bugger all. I presume he was injured.

That is all, these games will be replayed on Foxtel on Saturday, the same day the next round of Div 2 games are on at Princes Park (start at 10AM).

Originally posted by Falconer02
two questions

what day is the grand final on?
is knights from eastern rangers in the team? hes a ball magnet

No such thing as a Grand Final - it's a round robin format. The final games are Saturday (Division 2) and Sunday at the MCG and Princes Park (Division 1). As all teams in Division 1 have won a match 2 teams will end up on 2 wins - the winner of the division will be the team that won that head to head battle.

The Qld v NSW match will decide the winner of Div 2.

Chris Knights played on a wing and was alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back