Preview Richmond v Sydney MCG Thursday night at 7 20 .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy back is odd, some said he would only return for his farewell in the last round..
Maybe Bud can stand behind the goal line the whole game, seeing as we supposedly only ever kick it to him. Still takes a defender, we kick straight, don't have to listen to whingers, solves everyone's problems.

Yeh from what the other coaches do say though, they pick their 23 rather than 22, which would explain Francis out there and not the other three.

Anyhow, it may be precaution for McCartin or Franklin given he can play both ends.

Yeh from what the other coaches do say though, they pick their 23 rather than 22, which would explain Francis out there and not the other three.

Anyhow, it may be precaution for McCartin or Franklin given he can play both ends.
Or because it was earlier in the day, the call hadn't been made as to who was getting replaced.

I want to say it'd be a dumb sub option, but we've done it before. At least Amartey was sub when we had 1 less KPF than usual. Madness to have to throw Francis in if a small goes down. Especially when Fox is right there.

You're right reckon Tommy will be subbed out at some point?
Then you just play Rampe on Riewoldt, Melican on resting ruck Miller, Fox on the debutant Bauer.

If we're putting in a KPD as sub because of the Tigers tall forwards, we've got zero confidence.

Given we have 2 defenders named on the bench (Fox and T Mac), I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Corey was the sub.
Thought he (Warner) was ok against them earlier in the year, and should be the sub from that lot, but I'm expecting to see Wicks stroll back into the 23.

I think versatile players like Francis and Fox are the perfect subs.

Bringing on a running player late in the game never seems to have any impact.

They are really there to cover an injury and having someone who can go forward or back, and potentially allow someone else to go in the ruck seems logical to me.

Last edited:
Urrkkhh. I wonder who will be the Chad Warner this week. I am concerned there will be a surprise omission due to injury. Will doubtless be the excuse required to keep Hayward.

Why are you nasty toward Hayward …relentlessly so

I think he’s great

They are really there to cover an injury and having someone who can forward or back, and potentially allow someone else to go in the ruck seems logical to me.
It assumes the player they (Francis) replace is a tall, and means we could be down a small almost an entire game, with an extra tall taking a bench spot, further tiring out the smalls.

It assumes the player they (Francis) replace is a tall, and means we could be down a small almost an entire game, with an extra tall taking a bench spot, further tiring out the smalls.

Yeah obviously you don't know the kind of player you might want to replace.

The point is the impact of being down a key position player vs the impact of being down a smaller player.

I don't think given the rotation limits it has a huge impact on fatigue if you are down one player. We didn't even bother bringing Clarke on last week, so the players can't be that fatigued.

But it would make a huge difference if we had to play McLean as solo ruck all night with Fox as a backup or we lost one of our key defenders. It would be a total disaster if we lost two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah obviously you don't know the kind of player you might want to replace.

The point is the impact of being down a key position player vs the impact of being down a smaller player.

I don't think given the rotation limits it has a huge impact on fatigue if you are down one player. We didn't even bother bringing Clarke on last week, so the players can't be that fatigued.

But it would make a huge difference if we had to play McLean as solo ruck all night with Fox as a backup or we lost one of our key defenders. It would be a total disaster if we lost two.
There's a ratio of 2:1 of non KPP to KPP. If you're playing risky KPPs, that's something you've got to wear. Against the Tigers, I see little risk in having to play Fox as a KPD. Or moving Heeney to the goalsquare because Hickey or Buddy are off. He might even kick some from that close. Even if it weren't a bad idea in general, we're potentially gifting the Tigers an advantage in poor conditions.

V Tigers we need Wicks as the sub. We need his fight. Particularly with Bud in.

There’ll be eyes for Bud, no doubt, and at the drop we need the former to bring his usual chaos.

Geez, he (Wicks) woulda been handy last week for a sneaky couple, like he did against the Blues.

Last edited:
V Tigers we need Wicks as the sub, seeing that Buds in.

There’ll be eyes for Bud, no doubt, and at the drop we need the former to bring his usual chaos.

Geez, he (Wicks) woulda been handy last week for a sneaky couple, like he did against the Blues.
If you mean sneaky couple of frees against. Wicks wasn't in great form to get back into the team. Had a good game, which gave us false hope, then reverted back to what had gotten him dropped last year. Plus a momentum changing hit. Should be made to earn his spot back.

They are really there to cover an injury and having someone who can forward or back, and potentially allow someone else to go in the ruck seems logical to me.
Fox is the best bet as sub.

Francis is a defender and defender only, a KPP has not proven to be a sound choice as sub as yet

Well Fox is in the 22 so he isn't going to be the sub.

But I still think having versatile players that can cover multiple positions, is much more valuable than just a random small.
Warner (and Stephens) can both do that.

Warner - Wing/half fwd
Stephens - Wing/Mid/HB and I think he could be a decent small fwd given his recent contested work in the VFL. Don't make him have to assess who to give it to, just tackle or win ball/go for goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back