Preview Rnd 13 - Carlton v Gold Coast Friday 21st August 7.50PM @ TIO Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 day extra recovery should help...but I'm still not overly confident.
Hopefully we can run over them.

We really should win coming off 6 and 6 day breaks the last 2 weeks, while they've had 5 and 4.

Although their only real injury of note is Rowell and maybe Rory Thompson...whereas we have quite a few.

Got to a lot of ball. But also made a number of critical errors. I could count three poor turnovers. Hopefully that isn't a trend

Two were consecutive, as he was trying to get the ball out of the backline.
Very little different any of our other players would have done.

That last quarter was an insight into how much ground he can cover and when it really matters.
Watch it again and you'll be surprised. I was.

EDIT: Cottrell aside. Doesn't GC Ballard hold himself like BSilvagni. So similar, to me.

The suns will naturally tire late in the third and the whole of the fourth quarter.
The 4 day break/ humid conditions will have an impact on how they play in those periods of the game.

It's quite simple, if the fresher Blues start well tonight, then I really think we'll be too much for them, especially later on in the game.

Also for those saying we've gone in too tall... I hope you not realise the Suns have 4 x players 195cm or taller in their backline
(Collins, Graham, Ballard and Lukosius)... With Cas, H and TDK up forward it allows us to provide a contest to bring the ball to ground for our smalls in Betts, Fisher, Martin, Gibbons; which I think will be a point of difference with the relatively tall GCS backline

Big game tonight
Blues by 27!

The suns will naturally tire late in the third and the whole of the fourth quarter.
The 4 day break/ humid conditions will have an impact on how they play in those periods of the game.

It's quite simple, if the fresher Blues start well tonight, then I really think we'll be too much for them, especially later on in the game.

Also for those saying we've gone in too tall... I hope you not realise the Suns have 4 x players 195cm or taller in their backline
(Collins, Graham, Ballard and Lukosius)... With Cas, H and TDK up forward it allows us to provide a contest to bring the ball to ground for our smalls in Betts, Fisher, Martin, Gibbons; which I think will be a point of difference with the relatively tall GCS backline

Big game tonight
Blues by 27!
Luko named on a wing interestingly enough. His impact tonight needs to be, if not completely shutoff, somewhat

That last quarter was an insight into how much ground he can cover and when it really matters.

EDIT: Cottrell aside. Doesn't GC Ballard hold himself like BSilvagni. So similar, to me.
There's not that many games left this year...and I reckon Cottrell should play all of them to get a feel for the speed. Next year when games return to full length is when his running power and endurance will really show up late in games.

Luko named on a wing interestingly enough. His impact tonight needs to be, if not completely shutoff, somewhat
I reckon Marchbank should have been brought in to play on him and try to keep him out of it. Understand the need for a big ruckman against Witts, but wonder if you're better off putting Levi up against him and bringing in Marchbank to do a job on Lukosius.

Did I read somewhere that he ad 8 touches in the last and Walsh had 7?

I reckon Marchbank should have been brought in to play on him and try to keep him out of it. Understand the need for a big ruckman against Witts, but wonder if you're better off putting Levi up against him and bringing in Marchbank to do a job on Lukosius.
I think that with our selected team, he won't be playing on a wing and will be required down back on one of our talls, however something i did not realise was how tall Graham is which gives them flexibility.

If Luko does end up on a wing, height is removed from the equation moreso as the ball won't ever be kicked to a wingman 1 on 1, someone like Cotts can just outwork him and run with so he doesn't get the cheap link up kick or uncontested possession. He's going to find the footy, but hopefully we can minimise the damage he can have by foot by being accountable

There's not that many games left this year...and I reckon Cottrell should play all of them to get a feel for the speed. Next year when games return to full length is when his running power and endurance will really show up late in games.

Exactly. It seems as though we're going to start parking away players that may not be 100% to go from here on in.
e.g. Wouldn't be surprised should we not see the likes of JSilvagni, Cuningham and maybe even Dow and O'Brien for the rest of the year, should we continue winning.

Did I read somewhere that he ad 8 touches in the last and Walsh had 7?

I didn't count, but the fact he was on one HBF one minute.....a forward pocket the next.....back to the backline to the other pocket.....off I go forward again...and so on, putting genuine pressure and being a number all over the ground. Very impressive. No way was he going to miss this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we be concerned about the inclusions of Swallow and Harbrow? I havnt seen a he wins play much this year so not sure what those guys form has been like. Just asking as I havnt seen anyone mention the Suns inclusions.

Big game tonight
Blues by 27!
Good spot up Damo, we play a tall foward line and force Lukosius to play as a backman , not a wingman.

Big game tonight
Blues by 27!
The key is to play well
But not exhaust ourselves in first 2 Q's.
Steady as she goes
Then full tilt in the 4th.

Should we be concerned about the inclusions of Swallow and Harbrow? I havnt seen a he wins play much this year so not sure what those guys form has been like. Just asking as I havnt seen anyone mention the Suns inclusions.
I thought the same when I saw the teams. We usually take care of Swallow, but important to note these are good inclusions for them relative to the players they've omitted, and reduces the 4 day vs 6 day fatigue impact (we have comparable savings in Pittonet and Martin who I can only assume will be desperate to perform against his old side).

This will be a problem for us... Who runs with? Walsh and Williamson too short.

We have enough talls, but not quick enough.

They could rip us apart on multiple 50 entries on long exits from our defensive 50.

If H is having no impact, I'd bring him to the wing to make a contest and play a swifter, sharper mobile forward-line.

Or we force ourselves to provide offense through the corridor with overlap. It's going to require someone quick off the backline to break lines. Maybe play Cottrell HBF, and SPS more in midfield....

It's certainly a player position that can influence our game plan tonight.

If Dow isn't good enough to force Murphy/Gibbons/Setterfield or Ed out of the mix - he is the definition of aging depth a depreciating asset. I think he is better than that just depth - if he wants to be. Roll that out for any drafted player that is how it goes in AFL

One thing people perhaps arent considering is the inevitable effect of lower TV rights payments at least in near term. This will squeeze the money tree that the AFL thinks is there forever - already we have 'lost' traditional VFL competition lets see what shape and form it comes back as ...

This coming year draft picks will be worth less, trade value of any player - worth less in dollars....so teams 'rading' Carlton or anyone else - will have less real capital to throw at a situation and players wishing to move will have to expect - less.....in dollars anyway

the economic dynamics have changed.

I don’t see the money tree shrinking anytime soon. The AFL own the product that produces the $$$$, current revenue is based on the number of games supposed to be this year and currently scheduled next season.

What I’m trying to say is, instead of taking any hit, the AFL will imo increase the amount of games next year to make up any shortfall or add an elimination round before finals. I just have a feeling, the condensed fixture has given the AFL a test case of how a longer fixture could work.

Specifics aside, do you think the AFL will take a hit or just put out more of the product?

This will be a problem for us... Who runs with? Walsh and Williamson too short.

We have enough talls, but not quick enough.

They could rip us apart on multiple 50 entries on long exits from our defensive 50.

If H is having no impact, I'd bring him to the wing to make a contest and play a swifter, sharper mobile forward-line.

Or we force ourselves to provide offense through the corridor with overlap. It's going to require someone quick off the backline to break lines. Maybe play Cottrell HBF, and SPS more in midfield....

It's certainly a player position that can influence our game plan tonight.
Lukosius is 195cm, Williamson is 190cm - not ideal but not insurmountable if thats the way we choose to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back