Preview RND 15 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 30th June 5.20PM (EST) @ Optus Stadium - Final Team Post #517

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman has really struggled of late. Looks slow and his disposal poor.

I think Jones is straight back in. He’s quick enough to play on the smaller players so I don’t think it upsets our balance.

Would like JSOS in, but not sure who comes out.

Freo will be very tough to beat over there, regardless of some of their key players being out.

OUT
Newman

IN
Jones

I have no idea what we will do for this game

Does Jack come back in to add some size around the ball?
Kennedy was good last week and is what we need?
Does Jones come straight back in and if so for who? IMO it has to be for a tall other wise we are too tall, but who? Then there is Goddard
Like to see DeLuca but can't be ready
Owies must be getting closer

Buggered if I know so I'll go with NO changes

Nobody so far is calling for either Plow, Cas or LOB to be dropped. That’s a positive in itself.

The bye does that. I was calling for Dow to be dropped a week ago after the dogs game.

Still think he had an average game but with the week off everyone gets a chance to freshen up.....doesn’t make sense but I think that’s how it will go

I’d still rest Simmo.....if rumours are true he’s struggling to get up week to week then he should avoid the trip to Perth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bye does that. I was calling for Dow to be dropped a week ago after the dogs game.

Still think he had an average game but with the week off everyone gets a chance to freshen up.....doesn’t make sense but I think that’s how it will go

I’d still rest Simmo.....if rumours are true he’s struggling to get up week to week then he should avoid the trip to Perth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Simmo cant get up he needs to be taped on the shoulder and told that's it.

Freo are a more than handy side so will be tough to beat. I think last game's loss even though it was close was a bad loss. Yeah we are bad and our standards are low but it was a bad loss. Lost to a bottom side we had beaten easily this season, we had some passengers and I think they need to receive the message and the team needs to remind players it has standards. I think we have players in the reserves who deserve an opportunity and players in the seniors who don't deserve a game.

B: Plowman Casboult Simpson
HB: Marchbank Weitering Newman
C: O'Brien Cripps Setterfield
HF: Cuningham McKay Thomas
F: Silvagni Curnow Fisher
OB: Kreuzer Curnow Walsh
IC: Murphy Owies SPS Cottrell
EM: Gibbons McGovern Dow Kennedy

IN
Silvagni - Jack Silvagni had an outstanding game the other week after being dropped. Replaces McGovern for mine. At least we know Jack will give a contest, is decent at ground level and will give 100% effort which is what McGovern lacked last week. Deserves to play and IMO they are competing for the same role. I just get the feeling Silvagni will play better with McGovern out of the side. Either way he really must play after such a strong VFL game.

Cottrell - He's put together a few decent VFL games and if he's an elite runner who has go and is a nice kick then that's a lot to like. Would love to see what he has to offer at the top level and if he uses his possessions well and brings elite running to the team then that's a lot IMO. Reward for form. Lets See if he is an Agresta special.

Owies - Heard rumours that Teague wants to play him soon and after kicking 5 then now is the time. We don't have a decent small forward in the team so we need to try blokes and try blokes who are showing a bit. He's shown development and shown improvement and if we don't play him after that then what are we waiting for? Nothing to lose here and potentially a lot to gain if we happen to discover a player here.

OUT
Gibbons - We're persisting which is great but half a season 13 games and just 7 goals. Just 11 disposals last week and 0 tackles and he can't kick. Really butchered the footy last week. It's time to give someone else a go and we do have someone else in the reserves playing small forward who has kicked a few recently. I don't think this guy is our future just yet, not writing him off but I feel that we need to keep looking. If he stays in then we are carrying a poor kick who hasn't done much in his position.

Dow - Playing midfield and just 9 possessions, doesn't get much worse than this for a mid. This guy has struggled the last month and has played a lot of ordinary football. I've been saying for a while now he needs a run in the twos. It's poor player development to leave a kid in the AFL if they are struggling, they need to play some good games at some level now and then at least. He's got ability and he's young but he needs to know his selection in the side is not automatic. Yeah he's an early pick but there is no way O'Brien would be playing next week if he had just 9 possessions and I can't see Dow playing. I think for his development it would be really good for him to play some VFL. Have a run at that level, rack up some big stats. He has things like kicking to work on and the way to get better at that is to get a lot of kicks. I think with us using Cripps so much is bad for his development, he's not getting as much opportunity. It would be good for his footy, confidence and his psychological development to go back to the VFL, play some good games and earn his spot in the side. We need to develop effort, toughness and resilience and not making him accountable now will create a conditional footballer in the future. I'm really not comfortable having players in the side who get picked because they are who they are and not earning their position in the team and he has not earned his spot. He's playing because we are Carlton and we have been poor. He will be a better player in the future if he's made to earn it.

McGovern - Talking about guys who need to be made aware they need to earn their position in the team, here is a guy who has come to us on big money who probably feels he's an automatic selection and he's playing like it. He's playing like a conditional footballer and if he is selected this week then we really aren't setting any standards on our performance and effort. Was terrible against the dogs last week, didn't turn up to play, looked like he couldn't give a stuff, wasn't focused and did nothing. Silvagni has been dropped for less. We really really need to send a message here. Send him to the VFL and see if he can do what Silvagni has done and get himself back into the side because for the effort we put in to get him we are getting ripped off and a message needs to be sent and standards need to be made clear and what he served up last week, we need to make it clear that that is not acceptable. We can't afford to have this guy feeling too comfortable and becoming a conditional footballer.

These guys need to go back and prove themselves, earn their spot back into the AFL team by playing good VFL football and demonstrating effort and ability. We need to send a message that there are no automatic selections and that poor games like this won't be tolerated. We need to reward some good promising footy from some players in the VFL and set some higher standards going forward.

Get some fresh faces in the side, get some blokes in who will play with effort and send the message and you just never know we just might liven up and get a win.

Time to set standards and not make excuses like youth or fitness for poor performances. We need to make a statement and develop some toughness in the side. We need to see if some of these recruits have what it takes.

In - JSOS, Owies
Out - Gov, Dow

JSOS for Gov straight swap. Owies to play as a dedicated small forward, allowing Cuners and/or Gibbons more midfield time without Dow there. JSOS can also go through the middle which gives us extra flexibility too.

We’re a chance here and my daughter and I will be at Optus to see it.

Get some fresh faces in the side, get some blokes in who will play with effort and send the message and you just never know we just might liven up and get a win.
Like this sentiment. In a way it reminds me of when we backed in some untried youngsters and debuted Jacobs, Garlett and Robinson (and possibly Chris Johnson? There was a fourth) against Richmond in R1 all those years ago... I feel that game was instrumental in kickstarting a good period for the club (not that any great heights were ultimately achieved but that group did overall prove a solid one and won a few finals).

It sent a message that Ratten would reward form and commitment, not necessarily reputation. The club probably needs to get to that point again - young guys like Dow and older guys like Murph no longer presuming themselves to be automatic selections. Will certainly be interesting what happens at selection this week.

Don't get too excited about who might be out of the Docker's side. Perth has had heavy rain for the last couple of weeks.
We had another 50mm this weekend and more to start on Monday.
I am hoping that the conditions clear a little before next weekend.
If not, we are going to need a big effort from guys like Fisher, and quite possibly have to bring in one of either Polson or Fasolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back