Universal Love Robbie Gray appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats don't do him justice. His influence on games was incredible.

And even then, his stats were outrageous. Here’s a more relevant comparison from a role perspective:

Dustin Martin Minor Round 2017

Games: 22 (15 wins)
Disposals: 30.30 pg
Clearances: 6.54 pg
Goals: 32
Goal Assists: 21

Dusty wins the Brownlow in a canter with 36 votes (and rightly so), whereas in 2014 our man polled an anaemic 14 votes alongside Scott Thompson and Dyson Heppell.

I could've sworn both Gray and Westhoff kicked multiple goals in their joint debuts against the Hawks. Funny how distorted memories can become lol.

Might be conflating it with the subsequent home game against Essendon?

• Tredders’ 200th (boots 4)
• Boak’s debut
• Baby Gray runs riot with 4 majors
• Westhoff kicks 2, gives 1 off and lays a team-high 6 tackles
• tribey meets finbarr in Bay 118

What a night.

And even then, his stats were outrageous. Here’s a more relevant comparison from a role perspective:

Dustin Martin Minor Round 2017

Games: 22 (15 wins)
Disposals: 30.30 pg
Clearances: 6.54 pg
Goals: 32
Goal Assists: 21

Dusty wins the Brownlow in a canter with 36 votes (and rightly so), whereas in 2014 our man polled an anaemic 14 votes alongside Scott Thompson and Dyson Heppell.

Trav claimed too many votes to Gray’s detriment!

I was actually going and watching West Adelaide games during 2007 just to see young Robbie. Not even kidding.
i remember his debut and that he played a few games in 07 and looked promising. i was younger at the time and didnt follow drafts as closely, when did the hype begin within our fan base? when he was drafted, before his debut, or just after what he showed in 07? my main source of anything footy back then was my dads word, but i can remember him telling me in 07 he was going to be a gun.

I recall him on the members wing, FP, 2007 putting a step on an opponent, then ducking a tackle like Neo before driving i50. Might have been his second or third game. I knew then.

i remember his debut and that he played a few games in 07 and looked promising. i was younger at the time and didnt follow drafts as closely, when did the hype begin within our fan base? when he was drafted, before his debut, or just after what he showed in 07? my main source of anything footy back then was my dads word, but i can remember him telling me in 07 he was going to be a gun.

I remember quite a bit of hype in the weeks leading up to his debut game, some SANFL watchers were comparing him to Ablett Jnr who was the hottest player in the competition at that time. Didn't disappoint from the get go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall him on the members wing, FP, 2007 putting a step on an opponent, then ducking a tackle like Neo before driving i50. Might have been his second or third game. I knew then.
Think that was against Essendon where he ducked a tackle turned and kicked a goal. Funny how those things stick in your memory.

Think that was against Essendon where he ducked a tackle turned and kicked a goal. Funny how those things stick in your memory.
I have a vivid memory of a play on the wing (it's not the Essendon goal - just watched that vid earlier this morn). But memory is a funny thing 😉.

I have a vivid memory of a play on the wing (it's not the Essendon goal - just watched that vid earlier this morn). But memory is a funny thing

Both of those highlights are in this vid, start at 0:15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back