Robbie Muir- A must-read article

Remove this Banner Ad

In a way it's not really any different to the nasty homophobic sledge made about Don Scott on the Footy Show.

Not condoning any of it it's all hate speech in my book, but you can't crucify people for what were the standards of the day.

Robbie Muir's violence was tolerated during his three decade playing career. Was suspended for 9 years.

Would not be tolerated today because of different standards. He'd probably be in gaol because of his on field bashings.

Life was different. 75 years ago young men fought in a world war they didn't know whether they'd win, 50 years ago young men went to Vietnam to fight.
Of course. And every club, I'm sure, would sledge black players. Muir could be a real thug, but big deal, they all were and quite a few just as bad as him. But Muir also had times when he was justified and the Shaw incident would have been one of them, I reckon. The story isn't whether he lashed out or not, but about all the s**t that happened to him because he was an Aboriginal and how it shaped his life.

This part was a bit cryptic.
Muir's mother Myrtle... couldn't spare her son from the violence of his father.

"I had shock treatment when I was about seven years old," Muir says.

"I used to wake up screaming, but that was only because my father was belting me."

Is Muir referring to actual shock therapy, i.e. a primitive treatment for mental disorders? Or is it an unusual description of abuse at the hands of his father?

On its own the sentence suggests the former, but couched between the other two, maybe not.

This part was a bit cryptic.

Is Muir referring to actual shock therapy, i.e. a primitive treatment for mental disorders? Or is it an unusual description of abuse at the hands of his father?

On its own the sentence suggests the former, but couched between the other two, maybe not.

I think the article mentioned Muir is bipolar. And Dr Google tells me that ECT (shock treatment) was used for it. Damn scary for the kid, then his dad belting him... it's heavy to take. Belted so hard it caused him to play his whole career starving.

"In electroconvulsive therapy, an electric current is passed through the scalp to cause a brief seizure in the brain. ECT is one of the fastest ways to relieve symptoms in people who suffer from mania or severe depression"

I think the article mentioned Muir is bipolar. And Dr Google tells me that ECT (shock treatment) was used for it. Damn scary for the kid, then his dad belting him... it's heavy to take. Belted so hard it caused him to play his whole career starving.

"In electroconvulsive therapy, an electric current is passed through the scalp to cause a brief seizure in the brain. ECT is one of the fastest ways to relieve symptoms in people who suffer from mania or severe depression"

That's what I was getting at. Shock therapy has a bad rep. Maybe the problem was recognised early but treatments at the time were inadequate or even harmful. There would be a lot of people in that boat.

That's what I was getting at. Shock therapy has a bad rep. Maybe the problem was recognised early but treatments at the time were inadequate or even harmful. There would be a lot of people in that boat.

I thought the article said he only was diagnosed later in life? Also find it highly doubtful an aboriginal kid in the 60s/70s would have been administered such treatment given their status at the time. It just wouldn't have happened.

Robbie Muir actually winks at Eddie towards the end of the interview before he flips the table.

Sam Newman is wearing a wig.

You'd have to be an imbecile to think it's not a stunt.

In saying that, the fact that this was an obvious work doesn't make Robbie's nasty homophobic comment any less disgusting.

I hope Don Scott doesn't go bashing someone senseless now.
"hand bagger" homphobic? Righto Champ.

People should not overlook the role alcohol plays and like drugs it does not discriminate, it messes many people up and its a bit like the chicken and the egg re what came first.

As posted earlier I saw him at a game about a decade again and it was really sad to see someone carry on like he did but he was off his head drunk. The guy he was with (who we saw every week) told us that he is a really good bloke when not on the piss but like many it brings bad sh*t to the surface. I like to say do not judge someone to you have walked in their shoes.

I just think its sad for him and his family, hopefully he finds some peace.
Agree on the alcohol front.

It also seems to have a different effect on people. Some are happy, some go quiet, some get aggressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be helpful if more players came forward as Shaw and Brereton have and fessed up their past as well. It would help gain a broader understanding of time and perhaps put some of Muir's transgressions in a little more context, if half the opposing team is calling you a black bastard or worse every time you go near the ball a little more empathy for his anger is gained.

Funny how the two blokes in this thread who want to make this about anything other than race are the two that have posted the most. Some people state their opinion and leave it at that, I wish those two would, they've made their point, we get what you are, thank you now move along.

The telling bit in that article was how Muir felt that he was on his own and no one had his back. I don't think that would make for a very stable personality, and it would be bloody tough to live like that.

In a way it's not really any different to the nasty homophobic sledge made about Don Scott on the Footy Show.

Not condoning any of it it's all hate speech in my book, but you can't crucify people for what were the standards of the day.

Robbie Muir's violence was tolerated during his three decade playing career. Was suspended for 9 years.

Would not be tolerated today because of different standards. He'd probably be in gaol because of his on field bashings.

Life was different. 75 years ago young men fought in a world war they didn't know whether they'd win, 50 years ago young men went to Vietnam to fight.

And now they get offended by..............pronouns.

Hang on...are saying people are products of their environment?

Interesting.

This will bring racism into the spotlight once more.

An idea to raise awareness/combat it, is to put badges on every guernsey stating "NO TO RACISM". Every player, every club.

We see this in soccer across the globe, I think it could be a powerful thing in AFL.

Funny how the two blokes in this thread who want to make this about anything other than race are the two that have posted the most. Some people state their opinion and leave it at that, I wish those two would, they've made their point, we get what you are, thank you now move along.

As one of the top two contributors... why are you afraid to say what you mean?

Fund raiser has been disabled? Sitting at $112k.

Maybe Robbie has said that is enough?

I imagine it could of kept rolling for another week.

The telling bit in that article was how Muir felt that he was on his own and no one had his back. I don't think that would make for a very stable personality, and it would be bloody tough to live like that.
Yep. His father, even his own team mates and the clubs he played for. It was like he never really had anyone in his own corner. Left school early and would've had found it difficult to articulate how he felt, in an era when blokes tended to bottle everything up anyway.

Some classy posts recently from some regulars.

As a Saints supporter I have been impressed with their response (to be honest was initially apprehensive).

This from the CEO

"For racism to be such an enormous part of Robert's football journey — and ultimately the majority of that he was a St Kilda player — we can't escape that.

"We as a club were part of a football community that at the time, we just didn't understand. That's not to say we completely understand now, we've always got more work to do, but ultimately that's on us."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back