Sports Robert Allenby in the news again

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Fan carries bag after Allenby fires caddie mid-round

Robert Allenby — who kicked off his 2015 season by getting robbed and mugged in Hawaii after the Sony Open — reportedly fired his caddie after nine holes of the RBC Canadian Open on Thursday.

And just like when David Simms fired Roy McAvoy in the movie Tin Cup, Allenby brought a fan inside the ropes to carry his bag the remainder of the round.

On hole No. 13 in round one (his fourth hole of the day) of the Canadian Open, Allenby wanted to hit a 7-iron from 150 yards, but caddie Mick Middlemo insisted he hit an 8-iron. Allenby went with the 8-iron, and the ball came up short in a creek leading to a triple bogey.

Here’s what happened next in Allenby’s words, according to Score Golf.

“I said to him, ‘You know this happens every week. This has happened for like the last three or four or five months. We keep making bad mistakes and you’re not helping me in these circumstances,’” Allenby said. “And he just lost the plot at me. He just told me I could go eff myself. And I said, ‘Look, you need to slow down. I mean just calm down.’ And then he just got right in my face as if he wanted to just beat me up. I said, ‘Stop being a such and such and calm down and get back into the game.’ And he just got even closer and closer and I just said, ‘That’s it, you’re sacked.” I said, ‘I will never have you caddie ever again.’ And we never spoke for the rest of the (first nine) and when we got to 18 we walked off and he said some smartass remark to me and I said, ‘You don’t deserve to be caddying out there.’ And he just got right in my face and threatened me so I said, ‘Go.’ So he left.”

Tom Fraser, a school principal from Ontario, volunteered to carry his clubs, so Allenby let him inside the ropes. He birdied the first hole with Fraser on the bag, but cooled off making bogeys on hole Nos. 4 through 7 en route to an 81 — good enough to be tied for last after the first round.

The report says Allenby plans to withdraw from the event, and Allenby says he’s still recovering emotionally from the incident in Hawaii.

“My nerves have been rattled. I’m in shock,” Allenby said. “Everything that’s gone on this year, that was the last thing I needed. I’ve been obviously beaten up, robbed and stolen from, what have you in Hawaii and all that. I haven’t dealt with it well all year, it’s been tough, and then I got something like this. He’s meant to be one of my mates. I’ve done a lot of right things by him and helped him out financially and he just turns around and does this to me.”

YOUR REACTION?
  • LIKE 1
  • LEGIT 2
  • WOW 1
  • LOL 14
  • IDHT 0
  • FLOP 0
  • OB 0
  • SHANK 13

3 triple bogeys lol was my reaction.

But if Allenby says that's what happened, that's what happened, right?

Would he ever lie ?

tumblr_mtucnqbxcm1racrjeo1_500.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back