What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else play 40/40

And murder in the dark.

I have no idea what barleys is.
I only remember barley. You called barley if you wanted to tie your shoelace, or if your mum called you, or some other "emergency" interruption :D

Australia has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years.

In 30-50 years time it will be unrecognizable to the Australia that remained fairly much the same upto the 2000s.

Correct. It used to be peaceful. Now it takes 3 times as long to get anywhere or get anything.

And everything has become so sanitised as a result of the population increase.
Things used to be a lot more relaxed.
Now all the i's have to be dotted and T's crossed.

So glad I spent part of my adult life in those times.
The young ones today never did and it will only get worse.

Last edited:
This was the height of kids entertainment

F-Z0nTIaAAAx-lp

Probably mentioned before, but Sizzler

Was like a top line family night out

I dunno if it was all of them, but the local one to us, you used to have to line up just to get a table, there'd even be a line area within the building to cater for it
Oh yeah I remember all you can eat Sizzler for sure.

And also Pizza Hut.

F-Z0nTIaAAAx-lp
Funny that Greenhills Park (Victor Harbor) and Puzzle Park (Murray Bridge also gone, whilst Monash Playground closed down and re-emerged as a more kid-friendly kids playground.

The dramatic increase in Public Liability insurance a couple of decades ago, I assume, played a significant part in all of these closing down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F-Z0nTIaAAAx-lp
when i was in year 7, we had our school camp at west beach. MM was our night-time activity. * that place was epic

Probably mentioned before, but Sizzler

Was like a top line family night out

I dunno if it was all of them, but the local one to us, you used to have to line up just to get a table, there'd even be a line area within the building to cater for it

Reckon that was all of them. I have a memory going there once as a kid and there was a line up like a nightclub.

Funny that Greenhills Park (Victor Harbor) and Puzzle Park (Murray Bridge also gone, whilst Monash Playground closed down and re-emerged as a more kid-friendly kids playground.

The dramatic increase in Public Liability insurance a couple of decades ago, I assume, played a significant part in all of these closing down.

MM got rebuilt as The Beachhouse, which is basically the same but more visually in line with the rest of the foreshore now.

They burned bright, but they didn't burn long the Sizzlers. I remember queuing up for an hour to get in one in 1990

I also remember never queuing to get into one come 1992.

And finally I remember going to the one in Darwin somewhat ironically in 2000, when I believe it was one of three(?) left in the country. There was only ever a few people in there.

All you can eat salad bar - pumpkin soup + a crap tonne of crotons. Seafood extender and celery salad.
Malibu chicken and steak combo. With that bread.

For Victorians it was Gumbuya Park or Wobbies World? That correct?

I only went to the former. once.
Gumbaya Park still exists doesn't it? I went a few years ago

All you can eat salad bar - pumpkin soup + a crap tonne of crotons. Seafood extender and celery salad.
Malibu chicken and steak combo. With that bread.
the potato skins for mine were epic

Sizzlers is a formative early childhood thing for me. My (fiftysomething silent gen) grandparents raved about it and so when we visited them in SEQ we tended to go. Seemed to fade out during the late 90s but you still drove past a few.

Pizza Hut buffet was a slice of heaven as a kid. Probably only did it 5-10 times but damn you treasured it. Kids Sizzlers basically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back