What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm so glad i'm not the only one like this!

(more for overseas theme parks than movieworld though)
Oh yeah I wanna go to OS ones too but seems unlikely.

GC is still a good day out.

Used to plan trips around (go to parks on a Tuesday/Wednesday, no school holidays/ get there as it opens/stay til close/make the most of entry ticket)

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only negative of them is there isnt anywhere near enough rides. If you like rides, go to Cedar Point in Ohio. Now THAT is a theme park.

Wet n Wild would be my fave on the GC.
Those big USA ones would be insane for sure.

Wet n Wild was fun but I like a good coaster

As horrible as it was I feel really bad for Dream-world

Wonder how it's going now? Loved that rapid ride, would go on it time after time actually trying to get the seat where you get drenched on a hot day

Wet n Wild was fun but I like a good coaster

As horrible as it was I feel really bad for Dream-world

Wonder how it's going now? Loved that rapid ride, would go on it time after time actually trying to get the seat where you get drenched on a hot day

Yeah i went to Dreamworld years before that occured, so idk.

Been to Movieworld several times and Wet n Wild twice.

Only one i havent been to is Sea World.

Only one i havent been to is Sea World.
i found that one pretty depressing to be honest, rides weren't anything special

six flags magic mountain is the best one i've been to - swear every ride had everything australia has covered comfortably

especially the goliath ride - that was intense!

potentially unlocked memory..

had my first trip alone to melbourne in 2002 with my now ex-wife, recall going to a pizza hut upstairs possibly on bourke street?

by that time, the works wasn't anywhere near what it was in the 90's but it wasn't bad for a nostalgia trip
That Bourke Street mall one was great for Tuesday night cheap pizza and movie night before jumping the barrier for a free train ride home

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember going to Sea World in the mid 80's. Would've been before Movie World, even before Brisbane Expo.

It was heavy on "shows" back then that were already pretty dated. Water skiing stuff. Dolphins jumping through hoops. That sort of gear. You could buy fish to feed the seals. All the animal enclosures were very "1980's" in terms of habitat.

In terms of rides, what I remember is the corkscrew - newish at the time coaster. first 3 loop in Aus, but very short ride time. An old style figure 8 coaster that you saw all over the place. And a pirate ship.
I seem to remember they had their own little water park as well. 2 or 3 slides.

Someone told me who visited a while back said it hadn't really changed since we'd seen it as kids. So yeah, would be depressing by today's standards.

Anyone ever go to GRUNDYS at Surfers Paradise?

Was probably my sisters and I favourite place when we were little.

Was up on top of/inside a shopping precinct thing

We liked it more than the theme parks View attachment 1849663

Is this where Timezone is now? I reckon that shooting gallery has been retained by Timezone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen a chairlift for decades.

Sad 😞
None in WA? If you ever holiday in the east, there's the Arthur's Seat chairlift on the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria. There's also one in Cairns, goes up to Kuranda. Went on it about ten years ago, can recommend it.

Stackhat-2.jpg

Looking back, kind of like wearing an astronaut helmet or diaper innit. I remember in small towns there would be 1-2 police cars (usually marked) and the helmetless would scatter like roaches. But looking at that monstrosity you can’t much blame the kids. Fair enough a stackhat for tricks and risky stuff and single digits but for typical cycling hard to imagine a teen happily wearing one of them. Sort of thing you’d retrieve from the attic for a hockey game or The Birds situ.

I got a roadbike for my 11th bday and had the sleeker aerodynamic helmets from that point on. Wonder what became of my white stackhat?

Looks like since the start of the 90s. Growing up within that world I’ve never dwelled on it much.

Not like you’d be stopped much anyway, one of those lax enforced laws you’d hear about but rarely witness directly enforced, like seat belts, more a common sense thing. Bit like riding in the dark without light or riding on the wrong side, might get stopped once in a blue moon. Depends where you’re riding, commuting regularly to work down busy roads you’d be silly to ignore laws. I guess if a cop really wanted to be a prick they could nab you on safety fitting guidelines/specifications, when it’s mostly for appearances and it wouldn’t actually help in a knock to the head. Don’t be conspicuous basically, don’t recklessly endanger yourself and others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back