What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still remember that one year my mum ran the canteen at nippers. Was like being in Wonka land.

Coming out of the surf late Sunday morning for a $2 bbq rissole sanga with coleslaw, must’ve done that at least a hundred times. If you were allowed then you’d nick over to the canteen for a bev and treat.

Early pizza hut all you can eat around 93 there used to be a line to get in.

Never ever went to Sizzler.
Went to Sizzler a couple of times. The cheese toast everyone was served with was to die for.

One night we were there a young server came out of the kitchen carrying a very large pot of soup. I don’t remember what happened exactly but she dropped the pot and a tidal wave of soup went in all directions. Poor girl burst into tears, while every other staff member manned mops and buckets.

Good excuse to visit lots more
Yeah I grew up in a succession of regional small towns so interstate trips to more urban areas were always an adventure. Those grandparents you’d always go the Sizzler, Big Pineapple, Theme Parks, etc. Head down to Mooloolaba beach every dawn before breakfast. The best holidays!

Went to Sizzler a couple of times. The cheese toast everyone was served with was to die for.

One night we were there a young server came out of the kitchen carrying a very large pot of soup. I don’t remember what happened exactly but she dropped the pot and a tidal wave of soup went in all directions. Poor girl burst into tears, while every other staff member manned mops and buckets.
One of the dish bitch's tasks when it was quiet was to butter tray after tray of that stuff and then put it in the fridge for future use which was okay in the winter but in the summer when it was forty odd out and the butter liquified was a vile job.

Probably mentioned before, but Sizzler

Was like a top line family night out

I dunno if it was all of them, but the local one to us, you used to have to line up just to get a table, there'd even be a line area within the building to cater for it
Lines at just about every sizzler (except maybe the Myer one in Brisbane CBD) pretty well up and till the owner decided to run them down so he could build apartments, KFCs and Taco Bells on the sites.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah delayed Friday night games in WA sucked, by the time they started showing the replay here the game was over in the Eastern States.

You had to try and avoid hearing or seeing the scores so that the replay wasn't spoiled, it was only when we got digital channels like 7mate that they showed the Friday night games live here
In Canberra in the early 2000s, you either waited for 1030 Channel 9 replay or it was on a channel on Foxtel live. You had to be careful not to leave the channel on with kids in the room as 5 minutes after the game finished, it became one of the two Foxtel pr0n channels.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early pizza hut all you can eat around 93 there used to be a line to get in.
potentially unlocked memory..

had my first trip alone to melbourne in 2002 with my now ex-wife, recall going to a pizza hut upstairs possibly on bourke street?

by that time, the works wasn't anywhere near what it was in the 90's but it wasn't bad for a nostalgia trip

potentially unlocked memory..

had my first trip alone to melbourne in 2002 with my now ex-wife, recall going to a pizza hut upstairs possibly on bourke street?

by that time, the works wasn't anywhere near what it was in the 90's but it wasn't bad for a nostalgia trip

Yeah corner of Burke and Elizabeth? I remember a pancake kitchen similar?

And this good old footy book shop upstairs near the corner of Flinders St station and Elizabeth St

They had boxes and boxes of footy records you could get pretty much any old game

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

ah same, I meant for partying lol

I'm still hanging to go to Movie world again and I'm 43.

You get that excited vibe driving up and then entering those gates.

The only negative of them is there isnt anywhere near enough rides. If you like rides, go to Cedar Point in Ohio. Now THAT is a theme park.

Wet n Wild would be my fave on the GC.

I'm still hanging to go to Movie world again and I'm 43.
i'm so glad i'm not the only one like this!

(more for overseas theme parks than movieworld though)

My first footy weekend trip to Melbourne was in 92 with dad.

We stayed across the road from Princes Park at a motel and walked across to the ground and Hawks cheers squad were doing their banner and let us in the ground to look around.

Was a great old ground back then with the old scoreboard and wooden seats and had that great footy smell lol

Anyway the next day we found this great little Cafe on Elizabeth Street and it had booths and each booth had its own working jukebox.

Was great as an 11 y.o Dad was prob annoyed coz I kept wanting to go back.

It's not there anymore, it was across the road from Melb Central precinct area

LOVED going to Melb in the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back