• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
What a champ. I had doubts a year ago that she had the game/strength to win a slam. Was worried her game would max out at a occasional QF type player. Love how wrong I was.

Ash barty. Grand Slam Champion. You little beauty.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Couple of things:

The us open grand slam doubles title win with vandeweghe gave her confidence to get the job done in a final. Thanks coco.

Her finish to the 2018 was very strong with a semi final run in wuhan and then the wta elite season title.

She continued this form in Australia this year and only just missed getting past kvitova in Melbourne.

Miami title was absolutely huge. It's not far off the level of a slam win.

Her fed cup efforts to get Australia to the final.

All these things have accumulated to this result tonight.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I’m with you. Really surprised she didn’t get more support. I’m wondering if Australians are a bit on the nose everywhere else for obvious reasons.
Doubt very few french tennis fans 2 weeks ago knew what Barty looked like
A lot of corporates in the crowd , unless there is local playing not likely to go wild.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
I don't think it's that, just that ash is so understated. She plays matches with minimal fuss, whether she is winning or losing. Doesn't show much emotion, kind of exactly what yous want from an athlete at the top level.

Hmmm, maybe :think: The other thing I thought of was maybe the neutrals lean towards the ones who are young and pretty. Ash doesn’t fit that mold (not saying she is ugly btw before anyone jumps on me). I know myself if there are two blokes playing who I don’t know much about I will barrack for the better looking one :cool: ;)

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Doubt very few french tennis fans 2 weeks ago knew what Barty looked like
A lot of corporates in the crowd , unless there is local playing not likely to go wild.

True but did they know Anisimova or Vondrousova? In both matches the crowd were behind her opponents right from the start. I’m not all cut up about it but it was noticeable and I was a bit surprised that’s all as Barty is very likeable both in terms of her tennis and her personality.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Having been to the French Open it’s a weird Slam, fans tend to get behind players that have done well before OR if a player is getting flogged they will try and get a half decent match

I don’t find that weird at all.
Pretty normal in fact, the big names get the support and if a game is going one way almost everyone wants to see a fight back.
Oh well you’ve answered people’s queries on lack of support correctly.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

my first memory or match of her tennis career was at the Aussie Open, RLA v Serena Williams. She got killed. Barty was a popular girl to pick on, cause she got all the WC and that she was the next best thing, without actually doing much. big harsh on a young teenage girl. When she left, it was a shame and a "wasted" career, a showcase of Tennis Aus and their youth development.

When she came back(Thank you Casey), she got some very good results very early on. Earned(and you have to earn it) a qualifying WC at Wimbledon after a month. She went a bit quiet again, as she worked her way in the minor leagues. Her doubles partnership with Casey certainly wasn't quiet. all 4 grand Slam runner up titles for them and it is such a shame they didnt get the big trophy they deserved. Glad she finally got one in the end with Coco. I personally thought she would be an outstanding doubles player, but just a solid singles.

I was super super excited when Ash won her first WTA title in Thailand. remember that match fondly. That was also a one-sided final IIRC. Outside of that, she had solid top 30 results, nothing special until the Asian circuit and her win in Wuhan(?). It was a big tournament. She did well there again last year. She copped some rough draws last year in the slams(She was the seed who coped a returning Serena Williams at the French), so her progress at the slams was slow sadly, which didn't showcase her progress as a player to the wider audience.

This year, her final at Sydney was epic and made Australia wake up. Making the quarters at the Aus Open was huge, even though she was massively outplayed by Kvitova. That happens. Miami was a huge shock. I didn't follow that tournament much and it still doesn't register. I do not sure how long it will take for me to realise she is now the #2 player in the world and a grand slam champion(on clay as well)

Congrats Ashleigh Barty. Been a joy following your ups and downs. here's hoping you are holding a Fed Cup title at years end

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
French crowd weren’t against Barty they just wanted a competitive match. Other chick didn’t fire a shot

my first memory or match of her tennis career was at the Aussie Open, RLA v Serena Williams. She got killed. Barty was a popular girl to pick on, cause she got all the WC and that she was the next best thing, without actually doing much. big harsh on a young teenage girl. When she left, it was a shame and a "wasted" career, a showcase of Tennis Aus and their youth development.

When she came back(Thank you Casey), she got some very good results very early on. Earned(and you have to earn it) a qualifying WC at Wimbledon after a month. She went a bit quiet again, as she worked her way in the minor leagues. Her doubles partnership with Casey certainly wasn't quiet. all 4 grand Slam runner up titles for them and it is such a shame they didnt get the big trophy they deserved. Glad she finally got one in the end with Coco. I personally thought she would be an outstanding doubles player, but just a solid singles.

I was super super excited when Ash won her first WTA title in Thailand. remember that match fondly. That was also a one-sided final IIRC. Outside of that, she had solid top 30 results, nothing special until the Asian circuit and her win in Wuhan(?). It was a big tournament. She did well there again last year. She copped some rough draws last year in the slams(She was the seed who coped a returning Serena Williams at the French), so her progress at the slams was slow sadly, which didn't showcase her progress as a player to the wider audience.

This year, her final at Sydney was epic and made Australia wake up. Making the quarters at the Aus Open was huge, even though she was massively outplayed by Kvitova. That happens. Miami was a huge shock. I didn't follow that tournament much and it still doesn't register. I do not sure how long it will take for me to realise she is now the #2 player in the world and a grand slam champion(on clay as well)

Congrats Ashleigh Barty. Been a joy following your ups and downs. here's hoping you are holding a Fed Cup title at years end

With Ash it feels like she is a very kind player, lack ruthlessness and killer instinct to finished off the opponent. Don't know why I was crying last night during the throphy presentation. So proud with Ash, she's mature with her game and her emotions. Congrats Ash #2 in the world :) .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Well done to Ash Barty, had some really consistent results over the last 12 months winning some big tournaments and now has the ultimate glory to go with it.

Also massive effort by Thiem, I hope he has enough in the tank to make the Final vs Rafa interesting.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
* yeah!

7DA3594D-13DD-4700-B72F-69C81196B37F.jpeg

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

My first memory of her was at the AO too playing on Hisense in 2013, there was a LOT of hype around her and she lost that day too to Cibulkova in three sets. Actually didn't mind when she called it quits for a while, no point in continuing with something if you're not enjoying it. Despite her young age I thought it showed a level of maturity to recognise that it wasn't working for her and not to bow to pressure to continue. I remember hearing an interview with her just before she started playing cricket and she said she still loved tennis and had been coaching kids and so on and I thought then we would see her back on tour sometime. I really love to watch her play, so much variety and a big dose of mental toughness that means she can hang in when the chips are down.

Last edited:
May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
lol. take that crap away. there is no real swiss wearing Fed fans on here regularly.

I want Thiem to win cause he deserves a Grand Slam. He is young and of the new gen. Nadal has 11 of them. Domi is the 2nd best clay courter for the last 4 years. 2 semis and 2 finals at RG in those years

So, yes, Domi is the best chance to beat Nadal.

I love Nadal but this is spot on.

Hopefully Dimitrov can step up his game and made the final of Wimbledon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
I always cheer on the semi finalist that isn't Djoker/Nadal/Federer. Mens tennis has stagnated a bit with their dominance.

Also Nadal winning doesn't change anything. Federer remains GOAT on every surface except for the FO. boring.

Disagree. Federer is goat at the moment sure but discounting 11 grand slams because it is on a different surface is equivalent to discounting federers 11 slams on the us and Aussie hard court surface.

If the Australian open was on clay surface Nadal would be on 25+ slams. But it’s not and fed is goat for now. Either djoker or Nadal can catch him but unlikely.

Anyway, I hope thiem zverev and dimitrov get their games together over the next 12 months

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
French should consider themselves lucky to even have a Grand Slam. Their crowds and audience has always been poor and embarrassing.
Spain would be a great choice for clay. The crowd last night for Nadal Federer now a women’s final. Picky crowd

That’s the French people. I am okay with it personally because they are entitled to be different but I could understand a lot of people not liking it due to atmosphere etc

I was watching the final with the girlfriend, which is why I didn't post anything last night...

What a surreal two weeks for Ash. I think the biggest thing is to take out of this was the transformation on this surface for her. She's essentially gone from hating clay a year or two to really actually being quite suited to the stuff. The movement has improved tenfold which allows to use her game to trouble opponents with the slice backhand, sneaky big serve and forehand.

I'll admit everything fell right for her this fortnight but there's no doubt that she is one of the best players on the tour now and well she is so close to no.1, only a couple of months after entering the top 10.

The match was a bit of a whitewash but wasn't comfortable till she hit that smash. I just hope she enjoys this victory, can imagine this will take a long time to sink in....

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Well done Ash. Just watching it now, it's easy to fit in a replay of women's tennis, you just know it will barely go an hour no matter who is playing.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Was so great to experience. Hewitt in 2002 is the only previous time I've seen a full GS final live where an Australian won, so was awesome to experience that feeling again. Saw the first set of Hewitt in 2001 before jumping on the high school bus, and the last set in 1997 when Rafter won. Missed the Stosur win and Rafter 1998 win (although have watched the latter since).

Thanks Barty, such a class act, mature, humble, easily likeable, and earned given that steady climb over the last 2 years. Also well done to Marketa, clearly not the result she wanted but gracious in the post-match presentation. Was just great to see Barty play 2 young stars-in-the-making on her way to an unlikely 1st grand slam, gives off a very fresh feeling about what lies ahead for the sport, and once again shines a light on the thrilling depth in women's tennis right now. I very much look forward to seeing more of Amanda & Marketa, whilst the FO continues to throw up deep runs from young upstarts following Ostapenko 2 years back.

Highest ranked Australian female in over 40 years! Cawley was no.1/2 during 1976/77, and Wendy Turnbull got as high as no.3 in the early 80s. Stosur of course peaked at no.4.

And despite all the issues of the French Open organisation, they sure do a classy post-match celebration. Never felt tacky, had a nice casual feel. Obviously night matches are a little different though.

Last edited:
Back