Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia don’t have their best XI sorted out and they won’t, because the squad doesn’t allow for it

As for England crashing and burning if we get going all out against Australia, umm, actually we broke the world record for highest ODI score when we played that way against Australia...

Australia don’t have their best XI sorted out and they won’t, because the squad doesn’t allow for it

As for England crashing and burning if we get going all out against Australia, umm, actually we broke the world record for highest ODI score when we played that way against Australia...
Against our second eleven bowlers lol

We have been barely getting over the line but it's been against the teams that have little hope of actually winning a world cup, we can try any variety of this 15 man squad but the issues will still be there.

NZ and india clearly have better and deeper bowling units than we do, england while not being that impressive with the ball have a depth and flexibility in the batting we won't match and all three teams(de grandhomme pandya stokes) have genuine allrounders who can change games with bat and ball while our allrounder is out of form with the bat and has rarely if ever swung a match with ball in hand.

I still think making the semis will be a good achievement with this 15 man squad, most teams playing as poorly as we have in the two years leading up would crash out early but we are below the actual teams who will be real chances to win the world cup

It’s pretty obvious why we haven’t got our best XI sorted, because two players that were best XI were not available until the last minute.

Were they though? We had a settled team that had just won in India and we gave that up on a hunch based on a 12 month old track record.

Were they though? We had a settled team that had just won in India and we gave that up on a hunch based on a 12 month old track record.
Warner averaging 70 ( questions about SR aside) and Smith 49. So yeah, they definitely are. Hard to tell how seriously India were taking the series, that side could just as easily been exposed. Just pointing out that the actions of last year have had long-lasting effects.

Warner averaging 70 ( questions about SR aside) and Smith 49. So yeah, they definitely are. Hard to tell how seriously India were taking the series, that side could just as easily been exposed. Just pointing out that the actions of last year have had long-lasting effects.

Fair enough - my problem has been that Warner and Smith are assumed to slot straight back in their preferred positions and what had been a balanced side is thrown out of whack. So, now we have had to drop the number one run scorer in the past calendar year to fit in someone who is potentially explosive but doesn't have that good a recent one day record. And again, why has Warner not been tried in the middle order?

That’s whats bugging me. How have we not sorted out our best 11 by now? Isn’t that the whole point of warm up games and the countless other meaningless ODIs between world cups? Can’t be halfway through the biggest tournament in 50 over cricket and still be sorting out our batting order and if we want a spinner or not. Look at England, batting order has been the same for all their matches and the only thing they’ve played around with is who they prefer out of Plunkett and Wood (and changing up the openers as a result of Roy’s injury). India and NZ the same, only swapping players due to injury. Meanwhile we’re over here still deciding if we want Zampa, Lyon, or no spinner at all, where Khawaja is supposed to bat, which quick we want. It’s all a bit all over the place. These guys won’t be here in 4 years so we aren’t building towards anything.. need to put our best foot forward right now and have a settled lineup.

Hard to have two players just walk back in weeks before the tournament without unsettling a team. I'm not saying they shouldn't have been picked, be crazy not to add them to the team.

Where the problem lies is they didn’t make the call between Marsh and Khawaja before the tournament and pick a batsman who was more flexible as the reserve batsman.

I just wonder if part of the problem was they were concerned about Warner coming in and wanted backup for him?
Do you mean a call on who makes the XI or who makes the squad?

In any case, I don't believe it's a problem. It serves as injury cover (as you have alluded to) and challenges the players selected to be adaptable.

If Khawaja or Marsh have to come in at 3 after 15 overs, it's a good thing for the side.

The only time it wouldn't you could argue if you are a mile behind the run rate in a chase. But if that were the case you could blame the openers and the bowling unit.

The batsmen selected in the squad were easily the best available. The next best would be Handscomb who is of a similar mould to Khawaja and Marsh.

Do you mean a call on who makes the XI or who makes the squad?

In any case, I don't believe it's a problem. It serves as injury cover (as you have alluded to) and challenges the players selected to be adaptable.

If Khawaja or Marsh have to come in at 3 after 15 overs, it's a good thing for the side.

The only time it wouldn't you could argue if you are a mile behind the run rate in a chase. But if that were the case you could blame the openers and the bowling unit.

The batsmen selected in the squad were easily the best available. The next best would be Handscomb who is of a similar mould to Khawaja and Marsh.

They should have decided which was going to make the XI and the other misses out on the squad. Handscomb offers a lot more flexibility, can bat from 3-6. Khawaja and Marsh open or 3 is their limit. With Finch and Warner locked in to open and Smith to bat 3 or 4, there was no need for both.

It hurt them when Stoinis was injured and you had Marsh and Khawaja batting in the middle order.

It hurt them when Stoinis was injured and you had Marsh and Khawaja batting in the middle order.

It's an interesting one. Maxwell seems to get a pass in this cos an 8 ball 20 is almost celebrated for his explosiveness. When he underperforms, is not under the same microscope as Khawaja and Marsh.

I personally believe both Khawaja and Marsh could co-exist in the middle order but I reckon I am in the minority. I feel they have gears in their batting too.

Will be interesting to see how Khawaja goes today.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's an interesting one. Maxwell seems to get a pass in this cos an 8 ball 20 is almost celebrated for his explosiveness. When he underperforms, is not under the same microscope as Khawaja and Marsh.

I personally believe both Khawaja and Marsh could co-exist in the middle order but I reckon I am in the minority. I feel they have gears in their batting too.

Will be interesting to see how Khawaja goes today.

Depends what you go on, Maxwell is constantly criticised here and on the coverage. But he is reasonably safe because there is no one else who can score quickly if needed in his spot and the fact you can’t rely on Stoinis to bowl 10 every game unless you’re wanting to be chasing 400 every game.

That and Khawaja particularly is a liability in the field whilst Maxwell is Australia’s best fielder.

If you had Khawaja, Marsh, Stoinis from 4-6, you won’t be scoring 300 too often

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what you go on, Maxwell is constantly criticised here and on the coverage. But he is reasonably safe because there is no one else who can score quickly if needed in his spot and the fact you can’t rely on Stoinis to bowl 10 every game unless you’re wanting to be chasing 400 every game.

That and Khawaja particularly is a liability in the field whilst Maxwell is Australia’s best fielder.

If you had Khawaja, Marsh, Stoinis from 4-6, you won’t be scoring 300 too often
Yeah, Maxwell definitely has a uniqueness about him that warrants automatic selection. Unless he is consistently underperforming, is a lock.

I disagree on Khawaja being a liability in the field. Imo he is underrated. Any mistakes he makes are magnified.

Stoinis hasn't shored up his position as a top 6 bat in the lineup. His spot imo is more tenuous than Khawaja's.

Yeah, Maxwell definitely has a uniqueness about him that warrants automatic selection. Unless he is consistently underperforming, is a lock.

I disagree on Khawaja being a liability in the field. Imo he is underrated. Any mistakes he makes are magnified.

Stoinis hasn't shored up his position as a top 6 bat in the lineup. His spot imo is more tenuous than Khawaja's.

Stoinis is another who is safe because the squad has no backup for him. His spot shouldn’t be tenuous, he should be gone but they aren’t going to rely on Maxwell and Finch every game

I'm sceptical on Khawaja and Stoinis too, but both did the job last night. If England and/or India play to their best we won't beat them, but that certainly does not mean we aren't very much in the hunt.

I'm sceptical on Khawaja and Stoinis too, but both did the job last night. If England and/or India play to their best we won't beat them, but that certainly does not mean we aren't very much in the hunt.

Best we can hope for is for India and England to play each other in a semi, just to avoid having to play both in the final stages.

Marsh has and always will be a spud. He cant play middle order because he takes 10 overs to get in and he cant play top order because our ball tamperers are back in. he exactly where hes supposed to be right now.

Marsh has and always will be a spud. He cant play middle order because he takes 10 overs to get in and he cant play top order because our ball tamperers are back in. he exactly where hes supposed to be right now.

who knew spuds could average 40 in ODIs

Let's compare Marsh and Khawaja as number 3's shall we?

Marsh: 19 innings, 767 runs, average 45.11, runs/innings 40.36, Strike Rate 87.85, 3x centuries, 4x fifties, HS 131.
Khawaja: 14 innings, 346 runs, average 26.61, runs/innings 16.85, Strike Rate 79.35, 0x centuries, 3x fifties, HS 89.

So Marsh is significantly better than Khawaj in literally every area at 3.

Let's compare Marsh and Khawaja as number 3's shall we?

Marsh: 19 innings, 767 runs, average 45.11, runs/innings 40.36, Strike Rate 87.85, 3x centuries, 4x fifties, HS 131.
Khawaja: 14 innings, 346 runs, average 26.61, runs/innings 16.85, Strike Rate 79.35, 0x centuries, 3x fifties, HS 89.

So Marsh is significantly better than Khawaj in literally every area at 3.
Shaun wouldn't have sold out a batting partner worrying about ****in individual milestone over maximizing the the team's score being set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back