Smith
Maxwell
Carey
Coulter Nile
Cummins
Starc
Richardson / Lyon
Zampa

It is a long tail but bowling is where I think we are vulnerable. Just for this tournament and only when required I'd throw one of the bowlers up the order.

Would replace firstly Richardson with Mitch Marsh or secondly with NCN depending whether there looks to be a bit of bounce and carry in the wicket.

I guess they figured we could beat teams like SL pak without the 5th bowler and we have but it's been more due to those team shitting the bed than exceptional bowling by us, marsh should have come in for stoinis straight away but they clearly rate stoinis very very highly and are willing to risk a loss to carry him through till he is fit.

Would replace firstly Richardson with Mitch Marsh or secondly with NCN depending whether there looks to be a bit of bounce and carry in the wicket.

I'd do that but wasn't sure if M Marsh was available. This was based on Stonis still being in the squad.

I'd do that but wasn't sure if M Marsh was available. This was based on Stonis still being in the squad.

Yeah fair enough, interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days.

I guess they figured we could beat teams like SL pak without the 5th bowler and we have but it's been more due to those team ****ting the bed than exceptional bowling by us, marsh should have come in for stoinis straight away but they clearly rate stoinis very very highly and are willing to risk a loss to carry him through till he is fit.

I think Marsh had only just arrived in London from Australia as the Pakistan game was starting and the SL game was only a couple of days later before a longer break so I think it was understandable to at least give it those two games.

Great news for Australia, Marcus Stoinis has been declared fit to remain in Australia’s WC Squad

Useless bloke can’t even just stay injured so we can bring in a better player!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m being a tad facetious. The lack of a solid ODI spinner, a reliable all rounder and the J Richardson and Hazlewood injuries haven’t helped. However, the team was starting to gel nicely: Khawaja was playing well as an opener , ditto Handscomb and S Marsh in the top order. Now the batting lineup seems unbalanced, Warner and Smith haven’t really hit their straps and Khawaja/S Marsh are effectively dead weight.

I’m being a tad facetious. The lack of a solid ODI spinner, a reliable all rounder and the J Richardson and Hazlewood injuries haven’t helped. However, the team was starting to gel nicely: Khawaja was playing well as an opener , ditto Handscomb and S Marsh in the top order. Now the batting lineup seems unbalanced, Warner and Smith haven’t really hit their straps and Khawaja/S Marsh are effectively dead weight.

But we are still winning.....and we are not at 100% yet

With Stoinis being fit :( Prefer Mitch but it is what it is ....the allrounder does balance us up..gives us the option of the spinner. I would go Lyon for this game we need to see what he can provide before the big games at the back end of the tournament and this is the perfect game for him to play

My team
Warner
Finch
Smith
S Marsh/Usman
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendoff

Smith/Marsh/Usman number 3 position depending who gets out between warner and finch to rotate the left/right match up

I think they will go with Coulter Nile over Behrendoff but I just think Behrendoff is the better bowler

They will probably also go Usman over S marsh....S marsh seems like the fall guy..doesnt matter if Usman is batting crap atm he can only bat in one position that is opener while S marsh can bat in the middle order 3 or 4 not number 5 or 6 for me

Spotlight for me is on warners first 10 overs...lets be more positive and Stoinis. Stoinis for me being our ODI cricketer of the year has done sweet FA these last 12 months...he needs to make a significant contribution with the bat ..no more 10/20 off 30 balls it needs to be a substantial innings of power and timing

But we are still winning.....and we are not at 100% yet

With Stoinis being fit :( Prefer Mitch but it is what it is ....the allrounder does balance us up..gives us the option of the spinner. I would go Lyon for this game we need to see what he can provide before the big games at the back end of the tournament and this is the perfect game for him to play

My team
Warner
Finch
Smith
S Marsh/Usman
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendoff

Smith/Marsh/Usman number 3 position depending who gets out between warner and finch to rotate the left/right match up

I think they will go with Coulter Nile over Behrendoff but I just think Behrendoff is the better bowler

They will probably also go Usman over S marsh....S marsh seems like the fall guy..doesnt matter if Usman is batting crap atm he can only bat in one position that is opener while S marsh can bat in the middle order 3 or 4 not number 5 or 6 for me

Spotlight for me is on warners first 10 overs...lets be more positive and Stoinis. Stoinis for me being our ODI cricketer of the year has done sweet FA these last 12 months...he needs to make a significant contribution with the bat ..no more 10/20 off 30 balls it needs to be a substantial innings of power and timing
I agree broadly with your sentiments. However, I don’t think Australia has the assets to beat India and England in this tournament. Yes they’re winning but has there been a huge test apart from India? It seems to me that there isn’t the right mix of batsmen that can consistently perform in getting us off to a flyer/maintaining the pace of the innings and bringing a big score home the last 10-15 overs. India and England have a good spread of class batsmen and hitters as well as good seam, spin and all round options with the ball.

Happy to be proven wrong if we win the cup but I just don’t see it at this stage.

I agree broadly with your sentiments. However, I don’t think Australia has the assets to beat India and England in this tournament. Yes they’re winning but has there been a huge test apart from India? It seems to me that there isn’t the right mix of batsmen that can consistently perform in getting us off to a flyer/maintaining the pace of the innings and bringing a big score home the last 10-15 overs. India and England have a good spread of class batsmen and hitters as well as good seam, spin and all round options with the ball.

Happy to be proven wrong if we win the cup but I just don’t see it at this stage.

Yeah I reckon we can....England do not faze me..yeah its great they are smashing everyone else around hitting sixes on small grounds..great cricket great to watch...but I can also see a team that goes from ball one which is capable of 350 plus....crash and burn if they want to play that way against Australia.

I am backing our attack of Starc and Cummins to cause problems with Englands batting.. Its no secret Bairstow and Stokes Struggle with Starc's yorkers and I reckon Cummins has got Roots and Morgans number...the biggest issue for me is Buttler..he can do anything. I also believe Lyon is going to play a part against the poms. Lyon is an experienced cricketer and bowls well against the poms. Our third paceman is the issue would love to see hazelwood/Jhye hopefully both will play a big part in the ashes...Behrendoof I think has got the weapons if he gets it to swing to trouble the english

Englands bowling is okay...but not overally scary....Archer is quick but he can go for a few as well..Wood the same...Woakes more contaitnment....Ali I've never seen him spin one yet...Rashid on spinning decks can be an issue but the poms want to produce flat tracks for there batting...Stokes likes to attack with his bowling can get wickets but can also go for big runs

India I reckon if we get our balance of our team right...we can beat them...we have proven that recently in India and have played lots of cricket against them...the loss of Dhawan could also hurt them

At this stage we still are not at 100% we still have not settled on our best 11.but we are winning...anything can happend come the knockout stage and I reckon we have the tools experience to win it

At this stage we still are not at 100% we still have not settled on our best 11.but we are winning...anything can happend come the knockout stage and I reckon we have the tools experience to win it

I've heard this a bit: we're winning even if we haven't got our best 11 worked out. The alternatives are:

a) this really is our best 11 and that's going to pull up short against the modern one-day sides.

b) we haven't got our best 11 but we have a conservative coach and selectors and this is the best 11 they're going to turn out.

Personally, I think it's slightly more b) than a). We could be better but we're like old England now with selection, never trying anything new and falling short, as a result.

I've heard this a bit: we're winning even if we haven't got our best 11 worked out. The alternatives are:

a) this really is our best 11 and that's going to pull up short against the modern one-day sides.

b) we haven't got our best 11 but we have a conservative coach and selectors and this is the best 11 they're going to turn out.

Personally, I think it's slightly more b) than a). We could be better but we're like old England now with selection, never trying anything new and falling short, as a result.
That’s whats bugging me. How have we not sorted out our best 11 by now? Isn’t that the whole point of warm up games and the countless other meaningless ODIs between world cups? Can’t be halfway through the biggest tournament in 50 over cricket and still be sorting out our batting order and if we want a spinner or not. Look at England, batting order has been the same for all their matches and the only thing they’ve played around with is who they prefer out of Plunkett and Wood (and changing up the openers as a result of Roy’s injury). India and NZ the same, only swapping players due to injury. Meanwhile we’re over here still deciding if we want Zampa, Lyon, or no spinner at all, where Khawaja is supposed to bat, which quick we want. It’s all a bit all over the place. These guys won’t be here in 4 years so we aren’t building towards anything.. need to put our best foot forward right now and have a settled lineup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back