Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

because other than finch they have accumulated several odi tons and we've only won like 6 or 7 of our past 30 odi's.

Of which they played in half of them...

They are great players no disputing that, but people saying the teams form is s**t because their missing and conveniently forgetting the teams form was s**t when they were in the team! Just like the test team had plenty of s**t performances and collapses with them in the team

Just because they were ok at 1 dayers ,i tink that Davie, and smithyyyy, wll do a "Tiger Woods' and be complete failures
on there return
So to keep them in the team,l vote for Mr Warner to be capt and Mr Smith be his deputy
keep all the NSW media boys happy

It would be akin to India leaving Kohli out of the WC squad following 12 months off.

I think the keyword here is 'off".

It is after serving a ban. Therefore, to expect to just walk back in the side ahead of a bunch of other players seems a bit too simple.

Warner has over 4,000 ODI runs, Smith over 3,000. Plus Smith's first 30 ODIs were junk and from 2014 onwards he's been a gun. Only Finch in the squad has over 3,000 runs with Marsh and Maxwell as the only other batsmen in 4 figures. Compare that to India and they have Kohli 10,000, Sharma 8,000, Dhawan 5,000, Jadeja 2,000.

If they are fit and in any sort of touch they are in the squad. It's not like Bancroft and the test team where he was still trying to cement a place. They are the two best we have.
Yeah, I agree on having them in the squad. But that doesn't necessarily mean they play the first game.

Warmer's stats are certainly compelling, whilst Smith's are still impressive. An average of over 40 in ODI's deserves respect, his role in the side as a pure batsman isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the current middle order.

In terms of both players, they'll have some practice games ahead of the tournament and if they look as good as there reputation suggests, only then the selectors should consider picking one or both of them for the first game.

He's already been dropped?

It doesn't mean he is already out of the squad. I think his dropping is harsh and to quote Mark Taylor, 'Indian conditions are nothing like they will experience in England'. Don't forget Marsh scored two one-day hundreds in England in the five-match one-day series last year.

I know Ricky Ponting isn't a fan but Marsh averages 40.7 and almost passes fifty every third innings in ODI - 7 tons, 13 fifties from 65 innings. That is impressive.

It doesn't mean he is already out of the squad. I think his dropping is harsh and to quote Mark Taylor, 'Indian conditions are nothing like they will experience in England'. Don't forget Marsh scored two one-day hundreds in England in the five-match one-day series last year.

I know Ricky Ponting isn't a fan but Marsh averages 40.7 and almost passes fifty every third innings in ODI - 7 tons, 13 fifties from 65 innings. That is impressive.
Fair enough, I thought you were referring to the 11.

Yeah I'd be amazed if Marsh isn't in the squad, although he may find it hard to get back into the 11 before then with Khawaja and Handscomb in the form they are in and Warner and Smith to return.

Not a bad position to be in I guess.

Of which they played in half of them...

yeah you are right, but again, in those matches we never really played our best XI though (although that's debatable depending on who is deemed in our best XI).

would've been nice for smith and warner to have some odi cricket under their belt before the world cup.

they will at least get the warm up matches I guess.

On the conditions you'd think they could have organised a one day tour to SA or NZ instead of India or Dubai. Decisions made a long time in advance and maybe no choice to bow down to India but one dayers in NZ would be much better prep for England and can't even remember the last time we played them.

On the conditions you'd think they could have organised a one day tour to SA or NZ instead of India or Dubai. Decisions made a long time in advance and maybe no choice to bow down to India but one dayers in NZ would be much better prep for England and can't even remember the last time we played them.

Don't think we've played them at home since that Stoinis 146.

pointless post:
could actually make a decent XI with players who didn't feature in the last ODI. could take in 22 players to play practice matches against each other. depth looks strong.
Warner
Short
Smith
S Marsh
Head
M Marsh
Wade
Coulter Nile
Starc
Hazlewood
Behrendorff (obviously swap with one of zampa/lyon)

Fair enough, I thought you were referring to the 11.

Yeah I'd be amazed if Marsh isn't in the squad, although he may find it hard to get back into the 11 before then with Khawaja and Handscomb in the form they are in and Warner and Smith to return.

Not a bad position to be in I guess.

I think you will find Marsh will be back batting no.3 sooner rather than later.

Just put me down for Finch and Stoinis...can build excitement if and when they throw themselves
at it...the rest can shuffle the decks or practise throwing down the stumps...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm going well. I said once we were batting so poorly that Smith and Warner would have to play. Straight in! Now it's a case of "how do you fit them in?" They could but someone would be stiff. Also said Cummins is no ODI bowler. How's that looking for me now after a brilliant series...lol.

I think the difference with Marsh is he's nearly 36 and at the top level the decline can be swift as we saw pretty recently with someone like Voges who went from dominating Shield attacks to having to retire from all formats based on form within around 12 months.

Not saying it's the same for Marsh and it wasn't that long ago he was hitting ODI tons but there's certainly an argument that it's only down hill from here and to choose a questionable 36 year old over Steve Smith would be silly.

With Smith you have to remember that he played a heap of ODIs when the selectors didn't even consider him a top 6 bat and so he had to work pretty hard to fix his record.

Well it isn't actually a discussion about Warner and Smith...it's about slotting another two batsmen, another four bowlers/
batsmen and the keeper (essential) and the double all rounder um der

I don’t think it’s Marsh vs Smith, it’s Marsh vs Khawaja/Handscomb.

Pretty much. Marsh does his hammies, Khawaja tends to have the odd run out because he is not great between wickets and worst fielder in the squad. But if he making 90's and 100, you going to get away with those negatives when you in batting form. Handscomb far superior fielder. I think Marsh is going to miss out now due to the couple of wins and he missed out. As much as I wanted Finch out of side he looks safe as houses because he captain and they won a series. I would prefer it they batted him 5 or 6 so not regularly likely to lose an early wicket.

Khwaja and Warner opening looks likely. Good luck selectors.

Marsh, Khawaja and Handscomb are the likely because it seems so absolutely stupid to keep chopping and changing
everyone.. Just getting sick of the selectors choosing someone after one game.. stick one and stick forever dudes...

So you think he'll bat in Steve Smith's position?

I think the original plan was for the batting line-up to be:
Finch
Warner
S.Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stonis
Carey
Coulter-Nile
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

Now with Khawaja batting well there may be a change but I think in the Pakistan series you will find that Marsh gets another shot at number 3 because he has an excellent record batting there for Australia.

I think the difference with Marsh is he's nearly 36 and at the top level the decline can be swift as we saw pretty recently with someone like Voges who went from dominating Shield attacks to having to retire from all formats based on form within around 12 months.

Not saying it's the same for Marsh and it wasn't that long ago he was hitting ODI tons but there's certainly an argument that it's only down hill from here and to choose a questionable 36 year old over Steve Smith would be silly.

With Smith you have to remember that he played a heap of ODIs when the selectors didn't even consider him a top 6 bat and so he had to work pretty hard to fix his record.

He made a ton in January. It is only March. If your partner ever has children you will know you get no sleep in the lead-up to the birth and none afterwards. Marsh arrived in India having played no cricket in the past month and over-tired. It is not surprising he didn't make a big score. Don't forget he came in to the second or third match in the 41st over with the simple instruction to slog.

I have no doubt he can be a prolific run scorer in England.

I think the original plan was for the batting line-up to be:
Finch
Warner
S.Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stonis
Carey
Coulter-Nile
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

Now with Khawaja batting well there may be a change but I think in the Pakistan series you will find that Marsh gets another shot at number 3 because he has an excellent record batting there for Australia.
What makes you think that was the original plan?

Smith has a much better record than Marsh batting at 3 and that's where he was playing before his ban.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back