Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Free Agency reality...27 year old Jeremy Cameron

Geelong offered Cameron a five-year deal worth $950,000 a season, which dwarfed the Giants’ initial offer to keep their key forward of $750,000 over five years.

You've outdone yourself. Laird is Jeremy Cameron :D

Bravo. Superb.

Pete's been outpointed yet won't give up.

You love to see it

I can deal with one year too long, which is why I've no problem with Tex's contract. It's a shame his body packed up on him, but in reality, this is really his only risky year. Laird will be fine over the duration, his skill set would transition to the forward half as well. Really just want him wherever there's a contest to be won and as he ages, that can be less in the middle and more forward or back again.

It's why I wanted us to keep Laird. Solid player, locks a part of our cap away and prevents us from needing to recruit senior players to fill that void, and he can get out of the way of the kids when they begin to take hold of the midfield.

If you’re a club who can’t sell a three-year deal to a 27yo half back then you’ve got far bigger problems than signing Rory Laird.

Welcome to the world of free agency dude.

Utterly forgettable players such as Atkins, and Corr got 5 year contracts from this process in 2020.

Yeah you’re right, it’s served us really well in the past.

Personally I’m really looking forward to how Josh Jenkins goes this year, the last year of the five-year contract we gave him. Do you think we’ll play him up forward alongside Fog or use him more in the ruck?
Are you suggesting Laird is likely to no longer be within the best 22.

Also, you appear to be ignoring how much he signed for. As likely to be well under free agency market rates.

It's easy to have simple thinking when having no details on the deal...

And they weren't enough to get big compo. Longer contracts on lower coin would be the norm for this tier of player.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yup, they weren't. It's more an indication though that long contracts for people in that 26-27 group are becoming the new normal though if you want to keep them. That the idea of "contract to see you to 30" is a dying concept.

After all, you would absolutely gun for a longer contract with less money per year if you can get it.

You'rethe one saying Rory Laird is Jeremy Cameron not me....all I'm saying is he was never accepting a 3 year deal from us when he could get 5 elsewhere likely on better coin.

And by the way they're both 27 and 2 x All Australians.

Do you ever think before you post?

What is the point of denying you're making a comparison if you just make it immediately afterwards anyway.

Key forward and loose half back AA's aren't equivalent. Asinine.

Welcome to the world of free agency dude.

Utterly forgettable players such as Atkins, and Corr got 5 year contracts from this process in 2020.

Then let them. If a market is overpaying for particular commodities smart actors don't try to outbid them.

Also, you appear to be ignoring how much he signed for. As likely to be well under free agency market rates.

Laird was very close to being dropped last year or should have been.

Its hardly implausible he could be out of our best team within the next 5 years.

Laird was very close to being dropped last year or should have been.

Its hardly implausible he could be out of our best team within the next 5 years.
Then you may as well say the same about every other player... as he would have a highest best & fairest ranking over the last 5 years!

Then let them. If a market is overpaying for particular commodities smart actors don't try to outbid them.
Who said we paid above market rates for Laird as this is very doubtful?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, but you just repeated your original post again

what price loyalty?

was Sloane loyal
You are funny Sanders. If a player has played at the same club for a while and agrees to stay even with other clubs keen, is that not what loyalty is??

I can see by your post that you are very smart and funny but an ass as well. You like to annoy people with smart ass remarks. I like reading your posts but I never ever take anything personal but that’s your intention.
Keep up the good work Sanders

You are funny Sanders. If a player has played at the same club for a while and agrees to stay even with other clubs keen, is that not what loyalty is??

no. Quite obviously not. What a bizarre thing to say

by that asinine thought process Kurt Tippett was loyal FFS

I can see by your post that you are very smart and funny but an ass as well. You like to annoy people with smart ass remarks. I like reading your posts but I never ever take anything personal but that’s your intention.
Keep up the good work Sanders

it’s a rare breed that deliberately ignores the point.

that’s the only explanation for someone who posts the same dumb thing twice, and then is proud of missing a very simple point after. 👍

What's your point?

Ellis and Atkins were offered those deal by GCS. Are you suggesting they are well run?

they’re doing better than we are

of all the clubs, you‘d rank us in the top 18 surely

they’re doing better than we are

of all the clubs, you‘d rank us in the top 18 surely
Does that mean we should copy what they are doing?

Of all clubs, we fall in to the top 18 by default. You know that.

Personally I’m really looking forward to how Josh Jenkins goes this year, the last year of the five-year contract we gave him. Do you think we’ll play him up forward alongside Fog or use him more in the ruck?

I saw him play tonight and he was beaten in the ruck by a 19yo dude I’d never heard of

Does that mean we should copy what they are doing?

maybe we Should. Its producing better results than whatever we’re doing.

Of all clubs, we fall in to the top 18 by default. You know that.

78827D30-EA89-47CE-88B4-B254C98C9865.png

Three things:

1) We're only having this conversation because he's now considered a mid. Nicks moving him there saved his career with AFC. As a defender last year he sucked balls and we would have happily let him walk to whoever for whatever.

2) Five year deal, bad for motivation, watch his form plummet

3) Our midfield really is this bad

Three things:

1) We're only having this conversation because he's now considered a mid. Nicks moving him there saved his career with AFC. As a defender last year he sucked balls and we would have happily let him walk to whoever for whatever.

2) Five year deal, bad for motivation, watch his form plummet

3) Our midfield really is this bad
You got it right the 3rd time.

But complex thinking with the same lack of detail?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back