MRP / Trib. Rory Sloane before the tribunal, Rd 1, 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Tribunal, Tuesday March 22, 5:00pm AEDT:
Rory Sloane, Adelaide Crows
, has been charged with Contact to the Eye Region against Blake Acres, Fremantle during the first quarter of the Round One match between the Adelaide Crows and Fremantle played at Adelaide Oval on Sunday, March 20, 2022.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction as a first offence.

• Admin

Sloane successfully argued his charge of making contact to the eye region of Fremantle utility Blake Acres should be downgraded from intentional to careless.

That meant his penalty went from a one-game ban to a $2,000 fine.

Tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson QC referred directly to Sloane's evidence when explaining the jury's verdict, saying they believed him.

He added several other factors also went in favour of the Adelaide player, including his awkward position after tackling the Dockers player.

Acres also didn't suffer any injury in the incident.

The Crows acknowledged the incident was low impact and high contact, but were adamant it was not intentional.

In his evidence, Sloane detailed his own history of facial and eye injuries because of football, including a detached retina last year that had the potential to end his career.

"There's no way I'd go after anyone's eye because I'm very aware of the damage it can cause," he said.

"I was super close to being finished in football and close to losing my eyesight so there's no way I'd go near anyone's eye."

Sloane successfully argued his charge of making contact to the eye region of Fremantle utility Blake Acres should be downgraded from intentional to careless.

That meant his penalty went from a one-game ban to a $2,000 fine.

Tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson QC referred directly to Sloane's evidence when explaining the jury's verdict, saying they believed him.

He added several other factors also went in favour of the Adelaide player, including his awkward position after tackling the Dockers player.

Acres also didn't suffer any injury in the incident.

The Crows acknowledged the incident was low impact and high contact, but were adamant it was not intentional.

In his evidence, Sloane detailed his own history of facial and eye injuries because of football, including a detached retina last year that had the potential to end his career.

"There's no way I'd go after anyone's eye because I'm very aware of the damage it can cause," he said.

"I was super close to being finished in football and close to losing my eyesight so there's no way I'd go near anyone's eye."
Surprised this one has slipped through so quietly. He was nowhere near the ball and his hand rips back across his face. Not a good look.

Wow i had not seen that footage. That is pretty conclusive

Why is there no Dockers fans upset about this?

Gee Dan(Flog of the Year 3 times in a row)WA, I don't know. Maybe we're used to getting reamed by the tribunal because we like it?

Why has he only got two badges then??
Maybe the mods have awarded him a 'special' badge?

Wow i had not seen that footage. That is pretty conclusive

Why is there no Dockers fans upset about this?

Because we are too busy frothing over Rioli ;)

In all seriousness I didn't even know about it until after the game and while I'm certainly not disgusted with Sloane, I think he deserves some time off. You can't touch an opponents face like that - accidentally or otherwise - when they have the ball (let alone if they don't have the ball)

I'm more disappointed in Rory than upset as he honestly doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would do that

Because we are too busy frothing over Rioli ;)

In all seriousness I didn't even know about it until after the game and while I'm certainly not disgusted with Sloane, I think he deserves some time off. You can't touch an opponents face like that - accidentally or otherwise - when they have the ball (let alone if they don't have the ball)

I'm more disappointed in Rory than upset as he honestly doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would do that
He isn’t and he didn’t.

He isn’t and he didn’t.
He didn't? Are you seriously claiming he didn't touch his opponent's face?
You can argue that the motion of pulling his hand across the other guy's face was due to the player behind pulling him back by the jumper, but it's still unnecessary contact to the face and can't be argued he was going for the ball or didn't know where he was grabbing him.
1648079123524.png
1648079254074.png

He didn't? Are you seriously claiming he didn't touch his opponent's face?
You can argue that the motion of pulling his hand across the other guy's face was due to the player behind pulling him back by the jumper, but it's still unnecessary contact to the face and can't be argued he was going for the ball or didn't know where he was grabbing him.
View attachment 1352735
View attachment 1352738
Nothing in it-calm down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty calm thanks.
So when you claim he didn't touch his face, was that a lie, an error, or a lack of knowledge on the incident?
You can’t see anything from the pics you have put up. What I did notice of footage of the incident is that the two players have a pleasant interaction as they are getting up. Given it’s not possible to make anything out of the footage-that alone should tell you something. No need to always be looking to be outraged.

Last edited:
You can’t see anything from the pics you have put up. What I did notice of footage of the incident is that the two players have a pleasant interaction as they are getting up. Given it’s not possible to make anything out of the footage-that alone should tell you something. No need to always be looking to be outraged.
You can't watch that footage and deem there wasn't any unnecessary contact to the face. The force that his hand raked back was enough to pull the Freo player's head back and to the side.
Nobody is that blind (unless Sloane has been near your face).
Anyway, was a s**t act worthy of a week, but Crows won't bother many this year and I've got more important things to worry about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back