Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sorry that last point is absolute nonsense. First of all he got an extra year out of us to stay when his injury concerns saw Saints lose a bit of interest. He had us over a barrel and new it.

His contract has had nothing to do with the Young guys staying on, the club has changed a lot off field and that’s the reason why.

A very long bow being drawn by old mate, who we must remember to be nice to.

Always tough watching a player through to retirement. His time at the crows can be summed up as loyal. His glory days where he continuously put his body on the line or get to an impossible contest to either mark or spoil it was for me a highlight. The spoil on Danger in the 2017 prelim was epic! Always came across as a fair guy who just loved to play footy.

I'm sad to see Rory retire but it's for the best. We all need our sight. Looking back Rory was a great servant of our club. So many highlights for us to enjoy but the best imo was the hit on Paddy. Epic stuff. There were so many to enjoy, he was a really good player during his peak years.
Rory will be missed but time catches up with us all. Have a great rest of your life Rory and family.

Always tough watching a player through to retirement. His time at the crows can be summed up as loyal. His glory days where he continuously put his body on the line or get to an impossible contest to either mark or spoil it was for me a highlight. The spoil on Danger in the 2017 prelim was epic! Always came across as a fair guy who just loved to play footy.
He certainly played his heart out, never shirked an issue out on the field.

I don’t get why loyalty gets brought up all the time though. Is it because he was mates with danger and he stayed while danger bailed?

We (over)paid through the nose to keep him.

I don’t get why loyalty gets brought up all the time though. Is it because he was mates with danger and he stayed while danger bailed?

How can one be loyal?
I’m sure he would have been paid well had he gone home.
If we paid overs that’s our issue, not his.

Agreed. He’s entitled to extract whatever he can, which he did. His agent managed to extract more $ and years out of us than he was worth. Pretty sure we’d lost Danger, Lever, CC and Gov, so the planets aligned wel for him. And again, good for him, get whatever you can.

How can one be loyal?
I’m sure he would have been paid well had he gone home.
If we paid overs that’s our issue, not his.
He seemed out the door until offers dried up due to his foot injury.

He also stated on 5aa that his last contract was about looking after himself.

This is all fine. I just reject the warm and fuzzy perception that he’s somehow more loyal than any other professional athlete.

His “loyalty” cost a packet. Probably the biggest deal in our history.

He seemed out the door until offers dried up due to his foot injury.

He also stated on 5aa that his last contract was about looking after himself.

This is all fine. I just reject the warm and fuzzy perception that he’s somehow more loyal than any other professional athlete.

His “loyalty” cost a packet. Probably the biggest deal in our history.
Would be interesting to know how it all went down and what we paid, in the end of the day a kid that didn’t want to be here stuck it out.
He could have left in the proceeding contracts too.
Maybe we got good value from his previous contract and it all evens out 🤷‍♂️
I’d have him easily in our top 20 players (without sitting down and actually working it out)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't the offer from the Saints more???

He gave it everything on the field. At his best, it would regularly be Sloane that would make sure we'd win if the game was on the line. From his gut running as an outside mid, up and down the MCG, as we nearly beat one of the great teams in a preliminary final in 2012, to his emergence as a genuine star of the game, taking over our midfield when Dangerfield departed and again, being so close to leading the side to a premiership in 2017. His ability to take a strong mark and kick an important goal, when it mattered, was second to none.

The last third of his career has been tough on and off the field, but his personality has shone through. Always positive, it is this legacy that the current players can carry through, and with a bit of luck and a work ethic like Sloane, can take the club to the ultimate success.

For a generation, Sloane, and Tex, have been strong leaders of the club. Following on from Ricciuto and Goodwin prior. Even when behind the scenes, things were going to pieces, they stood tall and firm and with good character, humour and an ability to put things into perspective, lead the way.

As they say, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, and it has been near the end for a while now for Sloane. It will be interesting to see what he does next. A Victorian that has done the Crows and South Australian football, proud.

Thanks for your efforts Rory Sloane.

All best for Sloaney and his family in his retirement. Fantastic servant of the club. His lead from the front toughness at the footy and gut running made him one of the better players our club has ever had. We'd be utter miserable fools to make his last few years as his defining contribution to the Adelaide Football Club. We all loved Sloaney, pretending you dont now is dumb and only embarrassing.

I will say that Sloaney's retirement came 8 months too late. I get the Champion inside of him wanted to prove last year was an aberration but the writing on the wall even before his injury had him showing signs of slowing down. At 34yrs this was not going to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back