Autopsy Round 1, 2017: Ess v Haw, **Ess supporters read the OP** Ban Hammer will be wielded with impunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Slow. Killed on the rebound.
Dont think we can play shoey and Tyrone in same team as forwards.
Sisily and Gunstan need to be permanent forwards.
Clarko got abit of work to do but thought Essendon would be difficult first up.

Pretty much how I saw it.

We're far too slow against teams with leg speed. The chaos ball over the back always hurts us.

Hawthorn deserved to lose that game.

We selected players who had not earned the right to play in the team and they failed accordingly.

Also, why is Gunston no longer a forward? Why is Sicily no longer a forward?

We had more inside 50's but we got killed in the air in that area. Would have been handy to have our 2 best marking forwards up there methinks!

Don't want to knee jerk but a few tv based observations:

- I don't know what our structure was or why we didn't change whatever's it was given we were overrun
- too many players were playing in a half and half position - neither defending nor attacking
- too often one of their players either marked or collected the ball whilst three or four of ours watched
- we seemed so heavy legged and run our of steam in the third quarter
- we can get better and will do so

How much did O'Meara cost us? Expect big things of him. He has a high opinion of himself, he better live up to it. How can he be cooked, did he not have a full pre-season? Would rather have passed on him and kept Sammy. Oh well we did get pick number 88...

We will improve no doubt but pretty galling to lose to the drug cheats. This post match is sickening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much how I saw it.

We're far too slow against teams with leg speed. The chaos ball over the back always hurts us.

Genuine speed is generated by ball use, not legs. 31 scoring shots for only 12 goals never has been good enough. An entire season to improve and I think we'll be okay.

Not game to name names, we know who played poorly and who played well. What annoyed me is the way nothing seems to have changed from last year. So often we seem to have less guys at the contest AND less guys on the spread. So where are our guys? How often tonight did Essendon have blokes well out in space?? It's exactly like the way we were last year.

I'd take it if we had tried to do something different and lost that way, but it was pretty much rinse and repeat of our last 5 games last year.

Only positives, O'meara will be better for the run, Mitchell's first half was very very good, Roughie is back and looks fit and firing, and Cyril can't play worse than that.
Agree

How much did O'Meara cost us? Expect big things of him. He has a high opinion of himself, he better live up to it. How can he be cooked, did he not have a full pre-season? Would rather have passed on him and kept Sammy. Oh well we did get pick number 88...

We will improve no doubt but pretty galling to lose to the drug cheats. This post match is sickening.

Writing off a guy who just played his first AFL game in two years.

Righty-o.

Deplorable. We can't play any worse though. Hodge back next week.

I'm tired of this. If one of your best players transgresses club rules then fine him. Don't leave him out of an important game. I don't care what message it sends, all it does is weaken the team, help the opposition, and hurt the supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back