Preview Round 1 2018: Richmond vs Carlton @ The MCG. Thursday 22 March @ 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everyone it's that time of year again. Strap yourself in and prepare yourself for the ride, the 2018 season is almost upon us. Hot off the back of our first premiership in 37 years the Richmond Football Club has come back in red hot form with several players looking in the best fitness they have been in years.

r0_27_1106_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The dreaded "Premiership Hangover" has been mentioned several times, will they or wont they? Will we tumble down the ladder or is back to back a real possibility? After two JLT matches it is pretty clear that not much has changed with our game plan but an injection of new and improved talent into our midfield will allow us to play some of our more damaging players forward of the ball more often than not.

Michaels podcast:
https://www.spreaker.com/episode/14326118

List Review:
#1 Nick Vlastuin, 96 games played. Flossy has matured and oozes class and leadership. People continue to talk about throwing him into the midfield but this is counter productive in my opinion. He plays the perfect sweeper role, coupled with Bachar Houli, Brandon Ellis and at times Jayden Short, Oleg Markov and Reece Conca - these are the types of guys you want rebounding out of the back 50. He has composure, is good under pressure and will be a star for years to come. I see him as a Luke Hodge type player down back for Richmond.

#2 Dylan Grimes, 104 games played. Dylan is one of the most underrated players in the competition, standing at 193cm tall he has the ability to play on any sized forward. He plays beautifully on smalls and mid sized opponents but can also match up on talls if required. His versatility is a massive weapon in our arsenal down back and I'd love to see him get a bit more recognition for the work that he does. I never panic when the ball is in his hands.

#3 Dion Prestia, 117 games played. The Human Meatball had a slow start to 2017 with injuries being the issue, as they always have during his career. Once he started to piece a few games together things started to look a bit better. His kicking needs work, but his addition to the team has been a massive win for the Tigers as it allows Cotchin and Martin to go do the damage up forward. He seems to be under an injury cloud and could be in doubt for round 1 after missing both JLT games.

#4 Dustin Martin, 178 games played. Not a lot needs to be mentioned here after Dusty managed to take home just about every possible award last season both real and media. Needs to keep his form for the rest of his career and there will be serious discussions about who is the greatest Tiger of all. Looks in top shape after a solid pre-season, I am not predicting a form slump in the slightest. Is a sneaky chance to kick 50 goals this season.

#5 Brandon Ellis, 135 games played. Brandon has been one of the most polarising players at the club in recent years. His breakout season on the wing showed he was capable of gut running and amassing a lot of the ball, however he was always knocked for his disposal and brain fades. In 2017 he played the majority of his footy running of the half back line and looked a lot more composed than in recent seasons. Is a second tier player but a damn good one and looks to be settled in to continue playing that rebounding defender role.

#6 Shaun Grigg,192 games played. Griggs is another player that has received a lot of s**t canning from opposition and Richmond supporters over the years. All I have to say to those people is - Shaun Grigg, premiership ruckman. In all seriousness though I have been one that has rated Grigg highly for a long time and it's been a running joke with my Carlton supporting brother for years that Andy Collins trade. Love him, hate him - you have to admit he has a penchant for finishing high in our BnF. Will continue on in the same mould as last season.

#7 Dan Butler, 23 games played. Mark my words Butler will be a star. He is silky, oozes class and has speed to boot. Is deadly in front of goals and will be one to experiment with in the midfield this season. Keep your eyes on Dan, he will have a ripper season. At times last season I have to admit I was screaming for him to be dropped after a few poor showings... Glad they persisted with him because his pressure acts are immense and he played a big part in our finals campaign

#8 Jack Riewoldt, 225 games played. I am hoping that Jack will get to spend a bit more time inside forward 50 this season. With the supply we are getting from our midfield and the turnovers our small forwards can create, if Jack plays majority up front and doesn't share it to much then maybe a sneaky Coleman could be on the cards. I will say though his goal assists are amazing to watch, I loved seeing him smash the ball along the ground with his fist several times in JLT straight to a fellow tigers forward who snagged the goal. Legend. Looks the fittest I've ever seen him.

#9 Trent Cotchin, 198 games played. Premiership Captain Trent Cotchin has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Where's Trent? Holding the premiership cup that's where. His physicality and pressure on the ground is immense and his finals campaign was a joy to behold. Should he have copped a suspension? Maybe. Did he? No - so get over it. Champion player and will be a Richmond legend for many years. I reckon he will spend a lot of time up forward this season as we rotate some of the up and comers through the midfield.

#10 Shane Edwards, 207 games played. It is interesting to note that Champion Data has ranked Sheds as Elite now. Isn't that an interesting one? Sheds has been knocked by all comers, opposition and Richmond fans alike at times. His hand skills are some of the best in the game - there were a few moments last season where I had to rewind the game to see exactly how Edwards managed to hand the ball off. I rate Shane highly and imagine he will continue to be best 22 barring injury.

#11 Jason Castagna, 30 games played. Looks like he has put in a good preseason and will build on his form from last year. Is one of Dimma's favourites due to his ability to continually bring the pressure and lay tackles inside the forward 50. Needs to work on his marking but should have another solid season.

#12 David Astbury, 85 games played. Astbury is underrated by most opposition supporters and is the perfect man to back up Alex Rance. His career has really started to take off now that he seems to have his body right and has avoided injury. One of my favourites to watch and seems like a real character to have around the club. If he continues to build on his form from last year will soon be getting recognition from opposition supporters.

#14 Bachar Houli, 170 games played. Bachar should have a Norm Smith around his neck right now. He was the man of the match in the Grand Final but the hype around Dusty was too hard for the umpires to ignore. Bachar is simply the man you want to have the ball when it's rebounding out of our defensive 50. Is a classy person and a skillful player.

#15 Jayden Short, 32 games played. One of the unluckiest players last season to miss playing in a premiership. I believe he is best 22 and has the ability to play both wing and half back. I think we will see him cement his place in the line up this year.

#16 Shaun Hampson, 98 games played. Depth player that is around to fill a spot if injuries happen. He is a great tap ruckman but his work around the ground is not particularly useful. I don't see him getting a game unless we see injuries to our talls this season. Would rather see us go with youth if that happens but we will see I guess.

#17 Daniel Rioli, 43 games played. Will miss at least the first game while he continues to recover from the ankle injury he received in the Grand Final. I think we will see Dan spending more time in the midfield this year. Sometimes I think he tries to do much but I guess it's because he thinks he can, and sometimes it's that attitude that you need in a player. Has the skills and class to become an A grade player for us.

#18 Alex Rance, 175 games played. Alex looks like he has had a massive preseason and is in amazing shape. I don't really need to say much here because we all know what Rancey brings to the table week in and week out.

#21 Jacob Townsend, 37 games played. Jacob was the man of the moment last season and has to thank an unlucky eye injury to Reiwoldt for the premiership medal he holds. Initially recruited as a hard nosed inside midfielder he found his true place to shine in the forward 50. He brings pressure, brute strength and marking ability to the table up forward. I'll admit I never thought he would make it and still think it's possible he could slip from the best 22 by season end, but I absolutely love the guy for his effort last season. Nothing brings me more joy than watching Towno drill opposition players with a massive tackle.

#22 Josh Caddy, 117 games played. Caddy looks to be in the best shape of his life and will build on his 2017 form. I always felt he was a bit slow with his turns and lacking in agility but he looks fit as a fiddle and this could be something that improves this season. He adds extra strength in the midfield and a bigger body up forward to complement our smalls.

#23 Kane Lambert, 52 games played. I loved Lambert in his debut season, I remember thinking... Where did this guy come from? Then he went missing a bit but last season he showed us all what he has to offer. Lambert has the potential and ability to move into the elite bracket this season after finishing 3rd in the BnF in our premiership year. Keep your eyes on Lambo, I think this will be a special year for him.

#25 Toby Nankervis, 36 games played. What a laugh what Sydney let this guy go for, especially now with Naismith out. Nank the Tank is a bit of a hero for us and his ability around the ground and up forward is invaluable. Need to protect him - an injury to Nankervis could cause us problems.

#26 Anthony Miles, 70 games played. Continues to excel in the VFL but struggles to get into the best 22. Is a depth player, I used to have a lot of love for Miles but he has fallen by the wayside a bit. I don't expect him to play much this season and will probably move on at seasons end.

#27 Sam Lloyd, 50 games played. Lloyd looks very fit and spent a lot of time playing midfield in the VFL last season. It's unfortunate for him that we have so many players in that same mould as I think he's best 22 at a lot of clubs. Has a good footy brain and knows where the big sticks are. He is one I think might get a few games this season but I am unsure really where he sits in Dimma's plans.

#28 Jack Higgins, 0 games played. Has to be one of our most hyped draft picks in recent years. Had statistically the best junior season since Champion Data started recording stats and looks to be in amazing shape for a youngster. Has always gone above and beyond with his fitness and preparation. He will play this season and he will play well, I'm just not sure when his chance will come. We have so many small mid / forwards.

#29 Shai Bolton, 6 games played. Lock him in for round one - Bolton oozes class and has X-factor to boot. His leg speed is electric and I think his addition to the line up will only cause more headaches for opposition defenders this season.

#30 Reece Conca, 86 games played. Reece appears to have been laying off the lasagna in the off season and has his body right. I think he will come into the team round 1 to replace Nathan Broad but I am not sure that he will hold his spot. Conca has been a frustrating player over his career simply due to injuries. I honestly don't see Conca being best 22 for the majority of the season.

#31 Oleg Markov, 15 games played. Markov is definitely an athlete and is in a very similar mould to Jayden Short. I think he has the ability to play off the wing as well as half back but those spots are hotly contested. He will get a few games but with McIntosh, Drummond, Ellis, Ellis, Short, Houli, Conca, Menadue and Vlaustin all playing similar roles it will be difficult for him to cement a spot in the side.

#32 Corey Ellis, 23 games played. Ellis is another one of those players we really love to fight about. Some hate him, some love him - myself? I'm not really certain where he stands. He seems to have all the footy skill and the talent is there but has struggled to break into the 22. I think we will see him try really hard this year and hope that he makes it because he has a beautiful kick.

#33 Kamdyn McIntosh, 53 games played. Look i'm going to be honest, I don't think he has a lot going on upstairs and can make some pretty stupid decisions but he rebounds beautifully out of the defensive 50 and runs well on the wing. Is a two way runner and will continue to be best 22 barring injuries.

#34 Jack Graham, 5 games played - 0 losses - 1 premiership. Jack Graham is one of the most impressive youngsters at the club right now. He simply looks a born leader and will Captain the club one day. He has played in more Premierships than he's had losses and hasn't played in a crowd below about 75 thousand (from memory). What a start to a career, and yet he just seems to have settled into it perfectly. Is very mature and has the body and frame of a 25 year old AFL player. I think we will see special things from, Graham this year.

#35 Nathan Broad, 12 games played. Broad will miss the first few weeks after the whole boobgate incident. He looks to have responded positively to this and put his all into preseason. Looks fit as a fiddle and should walk straight back into the team when his suspension ends.

#37 Connor Menadue, 28 games played. Menadue - Menadon't? I'm still not sure if Menadue will make it at the Tigers. Has all the attributes and abilities to be a quality AFL player but has not been consistent enough. I hope he manages a few games this season and lives up to his ability or I think we might see him at another club.

#38 Noah Balta, 0 games played. I know very little about Balta but obviously he is being lauded by all and sundry on the board here. I've seen the phrase "will be better than Buddy" thrown around on here which makes me a little nervous at this stage but we will see what happens!

#39 Nathan Drummond, 5 games played. Injury plagued player - needs to string together a good run of games in the VFL to break his way into the team. I tend to have little faith in guys that have had this much trouble getting on the park.

#40 Callum Coleman-Jones, 0 games played. I know absolutely nothing about Coleman-Jones guys, does anyone want to give me something to add here?

#42 Ryan Garthwaite, 0 games played. Garthwaite is an interesting prospect, has been played down back in the VFL but I was under the impression he played a lot forward in his junior career? Has an odd kicking action but seems to have the attributes to make it at the AFL. We may see him this year if we take iunjuries to our talls.

#45 Patrick Naish, 0 games played. The son of Chris Naish a Tiger during the 90's. Had a solid junior career and looks like he can make it at the top level. A lot of posters on here seem to be getting pretty excited about Patrick but I'm not certain that we will see him this year?

#46 Ben Miller, 0 games played I know absolutely nothing about Miller guys, does anyone want to give me something to add here?

#47 Ivan Soldo, 7 games played. Big Iv mk II. He's slow and needs to work on his fitness, but in a pinch can come in and give some relief to Nankervis when required. Is a better option than Hampson but I'm not sure that he will make it.

I decided not to review our rookies because I don't have a lot to say about them, I will say though that Callum Moore has a bit of a leg on him. Ripper goal from 60+ in the JLT.

When they last met:

Richmond and Carlton played twice last season with Richmond getting up on both occasions. In round one 2017 in front of a 73 thousand strong crowd Richmond took home the chocolates with a 20.12 (132) vs 14.5 (89) victory over the Blues. Dustin Martin was the stand out performer finishing with 33 disposals, 4 goals, 6 inside 50's and six clearances. Dion Prestia impressed in his first outing for the club with 28 disposals and six clearances which allowed Cotchin to play as a deep forward with his 18 touches and a goal. Castagna, Butler and Conca were also impressive while Nankervis showed his potential for the season ahead. Carltons best performers for the day were Marc Murphy with 35 disposals and seven clearances and Bryce Gibbs with 26 disposals and seven clearances, other notable performers were Weitering, Docherty, Marchbank and Kreuzer.

In our second encounter in round 14 in front of 64 thousand people we took home the win 11.18 (84) to 8.10 (58). Jack Reiwoldt kicked 3 goals and Dustin Martin had 30 touches but it was our second tier of players that impressed in this one. Lambert had 26 disposals, six tackles and kicked a goal while Grigg took a monster 12 marks with his 26 disposals. Brandon Ellis collected the ball 23 times and Bachar Houli got his hands on it 28 times (and got his hand on Jed Lambs face which warranted a 2 week suspension overturned into a 4 week suspension for being "manifestly inadequate". Patrick Cripps was best on ground for the Blues while Docherty, Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer were also strong performers.

Looking back at these two games it should be noted that two of Carltons best players from last seasons games - Sam Docherty and Bryce Gibbs will be missing, Matthew Kreuzer is also under an injury cloud. It also should be noted that while both games were played in front of a decent sized crowd, Round 1 2018 will be massive, 90+ thousand expected to flood to the G to see the premiership flag unfurled.

Potential team line-ups:

Richmond:

B: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Nick Vlastuin
HB: Brandon Ellis, David Astbury, Bachar Houli
C: Shaun Grigg, Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards
HF: Kane Lambert, Jack Riewoldt, Jason Castagna
F: Jacob Townsend, Josh Caddy, Dan Butler
Foll: Toby Nankervis, Trent Cotchin, Dion Prestia
I/C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Jack Graham, Reece Conca, Shai Bolton

There are two openings in the premiership line up thanks to Nathan Broad being suspended and Daniel Rioli recovering from his ankle injury. In the above line up I have listed Shai Bolton and Reece Conca as the players to replace them, however i think it is a good possibility that one of Jayden Short or Corey Ellis slots in instead. Jack Higgins was massively hyped over the pre-season but I believe he will be included in the team later down the track, Balta is another that has looked impressive as a second tall forward option but I just can't see who he would dislodge from the team at this point in time.

Carlton:
B: Kade Simpson, Liam Jones, Caleb Marchbank
HB: Aaron Mullet, Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Matthew Kennedy
HF: Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Matthew Wright
F: Jack Silvagni, Levi Casboult, Jarrod Pickett
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer*, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy
I/C: Paddy Dow, Zac Fisher, Darcy Lang, Dale Thomas

I will be the first to admit I don't know a lot about Carlton's best 22 but I pieced this together with a bit of help from my brother who is a Carlton man. I put an asterisk next to Kreuzer because he rolled his ankle in the JLT 2 match vs Hawks so could potentially miss but I doubt it.

Looking at the two line ups side by side it's hard to see Carlton getting over the top of us, Matthew Kennedy looks to have been a handy addition and Aaron Mullet will be required to fill the hole left by Sam Docherty doing his ACL during preseason.

Key Match ups:

Trent Cotchin vs Marc Murphy

Trent is a lot harder at the footy than his counterpart at Carlton Murphy. This should be a good tussle though, both have skill with both hands and feet but Cotchin tackles a bit harder than Murphy. These guys wont spend the whole game on each other as Cotchin drifts forward a lot but I expect to see them line up on each other for the opening bounce. Will be good entertainment.

Dustin Martin vs Patrick Cripps

This is the match up I expect for Dustin, and it's hard to gauge how it will go considering Patrick Cripps missed the majority of last season injured. They will spend time on each other but I expect to see both players drift forward and kick goals. Cripps is a big kid and I really want to see these two guys go toe to toe for at least 50% of the game. Dusty comes out on top but I expect Cripps to have a big season.

Liam Jones vs Jack Reiwoldt

Hard to pick a major match up like this in our forward 50 due to the way we play but I expect to see Liam Jones line up on Jack when he is inside 50. Jones is really good in the air taking marks but is still Liam Jones, this match up should go to Jack.

Alex Rance vs Levi Casboult

Alex Rance as usual will play the floating defender role but will spend a bit of time on Carlton big man Levi Casboult. I expect Rance to win this battle but you can't fault Casboult's marking ability. Casboult also has a massive frame - but as I mentioned earlier Rance looks like a monster this season. Rance should win this but I expect Casboult to kick a few majors.

Prediction:
Richmond by 50+.

Last edited:

I thought Shazza's preview covered it thoroughly enough tbh.

If groupie wants to sign up to do proper previews then he is welcome to, we have a roster for a reason and plenty of people have him on ignore for a reason so wouldn't see the thread

Really looking forward to Nanks dual with Kreuzer (assuming he plays). Nank in for a big season I reckon he’s already said that he’s aim this year is to kick more goals.

Great preview thanks for posting :thumbsu:

Just a couple of differences in potential line ups....

Byrne will start in defense (Mullett will have to beat Cuningham for the defensive rotation on the bench)
Lang is recovering from an ankle injury and has not featured in any lead up games- so will probably not start.
Garlett is pushing hard for selection despite missing JLT2 with a sore shoulder if not probably Cuningham.

Carlton:
HB: Byrne Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman
I/C: Paddy Dow, Zac Fisher,Garlett, Dale Thomas

as for match ups - doubt Murphy will play on Cotchin - he is being played on a wing these days.
Fingers crossed *Kreuzer is good to go after he rolled an ankle in Q1 in JLT2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to read the preview when I get home... and throughout the week due to the sheer length of it! ;)

Been looking forward to this game since we won the flag. Time to bask in glory with the Richmond faithful and then switch focus to pummelling The Blues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great preview thanks for posting :thumbsu:

Just a couple of differences in potential line ups....

Byrne will start in defense (Mullett will have to beat Cuningham for the defensive rotation on the bench)
Lang is recovering from an ankle injury and has not featured in any lead up games- so will probably not start.
Garlett is pushing hard for selection despite missing JLT2 with a sore shoulder if not probably Cuningham.

Carlton:
HB: Byrne Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman
I/C: Paddy Dow, Zac Fisher,Garlett, Dale Thomas

as for match ups - doubt Murphy will play on Cotchin - he is being played on a wing these days.
Fingers crossed *Kreuzer is good to go after he rolled an ankle in Q1 in JLT2.

Thanks for this. I really don't know a lot about Carltons line up these days

RICHMOND
INJURY LIST

Bachar Houli (calf)

Daniel Rioli (foot)

Dion Prestia (knee soreness)

Shaun Hampson (back)

Nathan Drummond (knee)

Bachar Houli and Dion Prestia are in doubt for Round 1. The Tigers have already ruled out Daniel Rioli and Nathan Broad for the clash against Carlton.

RICHMOND
INJURY LIST

Bachar Houli (calf)

Daniel Rioli (foot)

Dion Prestia (knee soreness)

Shaun Hampson (back)

Nathan Drummond (knee)

Bachar Houli and Dion Prestia are in doubt for Round 1. The Tigers have already ruled out Daniel Rioli and Nathan Broad for the clash against Carlton.

I thought Prestia was hammy? Now it’s his knee? Total bust this bloke

I thought Prestia was hammy? Now it’s his knee? Total bust this bloke

i kinda get the feeling they are guessing, i went through other teams injuries and they have listed them with the wrong injury

also said walker is more than likely playing round 1 when they have already pretty much ruled him out

i kinda get the feeling they are guessing, i went through other teams injuries and they have listed them with the wrong injury

also said walker is more than likely playing round 1 when they have already pretty much ruled him out

lol Andrew Walker retired years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back