Preview Round 1 2023 - v Western Bulldogs, Saturday 18 March, 7:25pm @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks to go before the real thing kicks off for season 2023.

We should go in almost fully healthy (pending disaster in our final praccy game today). Viney is theoretically going to be fit for this game, but I don't think is worth risking this early in the year when we've got other midfield options. Fritsch should be right to go. Salem likely to miss, but Judd McVee has seemingly got his spot covered.

The Dogs will be without Gardner in defence, although Liam Jones has returned to fill that hole, and Vandemeer on whatever wing/flank he plays. Close to full strength too, I guess.

Grundy loved single-handedly towelling the Dogs at the Pies, so hopefully he can pull off something close to that for us. The preseason hasn't filled me with confidence that our forward line will be any more efficient, but our mids and defence look very good again. I'm pretty confident we can squeeze out a 20 odd point win here, although it will no doubt be more uncomfortably close than it needs to be.

I hope they give van Rooyen four quarters against the Tiges today. Will give us an idea of whether he's ready to go or needs another month or two in the VFL after a long off-season.

I hope they give van Rooyen four quarters against the Tiges today. Will give us an idea of whether he's ready to go or needs another month or two in the VFL after a long off-season.
Given he didn't play and did nothing in the twos, he won't play. Likewise, I'd say Brown has played himself out of the team. intrigued to see how we go in.

FB: Bowey May Lever
HB: Brayshaw Petty Rivers
C: Langdon Viney Hunter
HF: Spargo McDonald ANB
FF: Pickett Gawn Fritsch
R: Grundy Oliver Petracca
B: Harmes, McVee, Sparrow, Jordon
S: Chandler

Strikes me as the best mix right now. Salem won't play, right?

Hello Brothers - time for me, for what I am worth - to wake from hibernation. I reckon we are in for a good year.

i must have watched the last 38 seconds at least 300 times - I cannot even begin to say how it has changed my life.

Hope you are all well and happy. No wonder we went out in straight sets with six players or so being injured.

Looks a good mix, but think they'll go with Brown initially. Jordon would be the one from your group to make way.

Don't think JJ plays considering he didn't get picked in the firsts for either hitout.

The way they've spoken about Salem I can't see him in the team for a couple months at least.

Season has come around so quickly, not sure I'm mentally ready for it haha.

Don't why the Dogs make me nervous, we really should have their measure, maybe their play style sometimes rattles us at times.

Dees by 17, Gawn with 5.

Season has come around so quickly, not sure I'm mentally ready for it haha.

Don't why the Dogs make me nervous, we really should have their measure, maybe their play style sometimes rattles us at times.

Dees by 17, Gawn with 5.
I reckon our defence looks really good. If we can get back to our stingy best, I think we'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m thinking we will play all of Brown, Tmac and Fritsch. Dogs have been weak defensively and rely on sending English back to take intercept marks. I think we’ll want to fully occupy their key defenders and then have Gawn or Grundy come down with English whenever he tries to intercept, try and drag him deep or catch him out not paying enough attention to his man.

If we have Chandler as sub we’ve got the option to switch him in for Brown at half time if that’s not working.

My guess is Fritsch plays and Viney does not.
I doubt it tbh. Spargo was on radio yesterday saying his recovery is going well but he wouldn't be rushed back with a foot injury. The clubs communications has been terrible lately, and it's really hard to get a timeline on any of this stuff.

Melbourne aren't going to risk our most dangerous forward in a practice match, if he has a slight niggle, I reckon he plays. Viney can wait no need to rush him back, he's easily covered.

I mean, I welcome Hyper-Conservative Goody making way for Slightly Crazy Goody, but Oliver spending any more than two minutes at half-back (so that we can give more midfield minutes to Sparrow and Harmes) seems like a horrendous idea.

I mean, I welcome Hyper-Conservative Goody making way for Slightly Crazy Goody, but Oliver spending any more than two minutes at half-back (so that we can give more midfield minutes to Sparrow and Harmes) seems like a horrendous idea.

Don't see why Oliver and Petracca can both spend time forward, half back is just stupid.

Don't see why Oliver and Petracca can both spend time forward, half back is just stupid.
Most teams park their absolute elite ball users and line-breakers at half back. We might have Brayshaw and Oliver at times lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back