Unofficial Preview Round 1, 2024: Bombers v Hawks, MCG 1:10pm Sat 16th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like I mentioned in the training thread it’s so important for players to try to get to rounds 5-6 relatively unscathed. Once they get there then their bodies are steeled for the season a head. Obviously impact injuries cannot be avoided but the stats seem to prove that rounds 5-6 is the safe point.

On a side note I love how all you mofos are like ‘oh Ridley has done his quad’ with a sympathetic undertone when really deep down inside you’re all like ‘fool those cheating b@$silly people 😂😂😂

Like I mentioned in the training thread it’s so important for players to try to get to rounds 5-6 relatively unscathed. Once they get there then their bodies are steeled for the season a head. Obviously impact injuries cannot be avoided but the stats seem to prove that rounds 5-6 is the safe point.

On a side note I love how all you mofos are like ‘oh Ridley has done his quad’ with a sympathetic undertone when really deep down inside you’re all like ‘fool those cheating b@$silly people 😂😂😂

Injuries are part of footy but I'd rather beat them at full strength.

Makes gloating at work all the sweeter.

At least 3-4 weeks. Bloke is hobbling he is no chance for round 1. Means they will play Laverde as a key back and release McKay IMO for the Ridley role. We can exploit this if we move the ball quick and with assertiveness. If Langford is also out it cancels out our injuries completely almost. Very interesting next couple of weeks.

Just to update this, Meek was named on the bench for the Hawthorn team too.

I’ve whittled that down to show two options for Meek: he’s either in the best 22, or he’s not in the best 22.
I’ve been told that Meek, although named, is not in Tassie and will be playing for Box Hill tomorrow morning at Whitten Oval.

At least 3-4 weeks. Bloke is hobbling he is no chance for round 1. Means they will play Laverde as a key back and release McKay IMO for the Ridley role. We can exploit this if we move the ball quick and with assertiveness. If Langford is also out it cancels out our injuries completely almost. Very interesting next couple of weeks.

Laverne was crap today.

Big Ben does alright against Lewis. Lewis needs to get on his bike and not get sucked into a wrestling match.

Chol could kick a big haul on Laverde. Will be too big and too mobile for him.

2MP looked slow but will probably be better for the run. Missed a lot of footy last year.

Yeh he ain't getting up for round 1. Thank his lucky stars it isn't a rolled ankle or we would have taken him out behind the shed.

Their defenders would be the laziest in the league defensively, especially now they have McKay back there.

If we play quick and our forwards run to provide options we will put on a massive score. If we go slow and kick to their numbers though they will kill us on the turnover as they run very hard forward to get the ball when they have it.

They just stand around doing nothing without it.

Why would Langford be out?

Nic Martin is a weapon. Need to quell his influence. Absolutely killed us last year.

If Finn plays he goes on him. Nash can go head to head with Merrett.

I think if Hardwick was on Martin that could be so effective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Finn on Martin. He's such a good user for them and finds space a lot, but Finn can stick with him.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Could throw the forward line out of balance though if Martin stays as a HBF

Nic Martin is a weapon. Need to quell his influence. Absolutely killed us last year.

The thing with Martin is he is incredibly poor defensively. Teams got massive value playing through his man last year.

I don’t think Finn’s at that stage in his development where he can anywhere close to the value an offensive forward can on Martin.

The thing with Martin is he is incredibly poor defensively. Teams got massive value playing through his man last year.

I don’t think Finn’s at that stage in his development where he can anywhere close to the value an offensive forward can on Martin.
How about playing through Heppel or McCrabbalot? They don't suffer for loose/weak defenders.

I don't know, but doesn't Martin run from defence, when the others kick?

If Finn plays, I think he should be on the Dons most damaging mid. Nic Martin may be good but Merrett is better. Shut down Merrett and the Don’s pathways to goal will be lesser.

As for Nic Martin. If Martin is good enough to be tagged, put Weddle on him. Weds is a defender by trade who can run the wing, cover Martin as he drifts fwd, and then destroy Martin on the counter attack.

This matchup would be great to watch.

If Finn plays, I think he should be on the Dons most damaging mid. Nic Martin may be good but Merrett is better. Shut down Merrett and the Don’s pathways to goal will be lesser.

As for Nic Martin. If Martin is good enough to be tagged, put Weddle on him. Weds is a defender by trade who can run the wing, cover Martin as he drifts fwd, and then destroy Martin on the counter attack.

This matchup would be great to watch.
Interesting point as Dons were in the game against Cats yesterday until Merrett disappeared in the later stages. Think I agree, if Finn plays he goes to Merrett.

Martin is playing half back, so would be completely surprised if Weddle went to him. Put Ginnivan on him and hurt him going the other way. Just needs to be made accountable.

How about playing through Heppel or McCrabbalot? They don't suffer for loose/weak defenders.

I don't know, but doesn't Martin run from defence, when the others kick?
The crab does the most running out of defence, followed by Martin then Heppel.

They definitely have a lot of loose defenders. Martin last year though was leaving his player 20 metres in the clear and not even bothering to pick him up when he played wing. He’s the easily the worst of a poor bunch. The more we play through his man the more the others have to cover for him and the more their men get free.

Good when he gets the ball though. You want a player that can shut him down and get dangerous off him. Finn just hasn’t added that last bit to his game yet.

I agree with this. I say cut the head off the snake and send Finn to Merrett. Dimma can run with Martin up forward to negate him.

Tag Merrett. If he has an average game , we most likely win imo.

Play tight on Martin wing/forward but we need to expose him the other way .

Weddle has the running the power easily , but may not be ready to take a lock/run off role yet.
May be a better option to split the matchup . We need to be aiming to kick 2 plus on his opponant .

They are mid table type side , if we pressure them enough all over the ground we will win .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back