Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of bright spots, thought Ambrossio, Chol, Ginnivan were amongst our best.

We dominated large parts of the game and should have been 3-4 goals up in the first half.

Absolutly baffled by the use of Maginess. He is not an impact player, should never be used as a sub, and if he is, he should have come on a lot earlier (mid way through the 3rd) not 5mins into the fourth. As soon as he came on, Merrett went off, so probably only spent half a quarter on him (so what was the point)

Our boys definitly start tiring/cramping well before the bombers who are probably a pre-season or two ahead of us.

I'm sure Chol was subbed cause he was cramping and looked cooked when he handballed to Amon for the goal, rather than having a shot.

A lot of negatives too, but others seem to be covering those pretty well.

Newcombe was being tagged by Setterfield who basically followed him everywhere. It was a very good performance by Setterfield both offensively and defensively. Only Worpel compensated through winning clearances (had 10 - next closest was Reeves with 4).

Wanted to see more from the others to cover that area but Nash (was decent in transition), Ward and Mackenzie just weren't physical enough compared to their opponents.
I didn’t mind Ward and Mackenzie’s games, I keep hoping the strength and speed required to bust through will develop in a year or two. I hope!

On today’s performance we’ve had no improvement or gone backwards from last year just a few names have changed. Nothing really to get excited about again this year .

Disagree with that.

Scored 83. Last year that's 60 max, so there's improvement

We do still have issues with our midfielder overcommitted to the contest and being caught out.

Another season of watching Reeves dominate the hitouts yet do SFA around the ground

Was against taking Watson at pick 4 and saw nothing today that alleviated my concern. It’s only his first game but doesn’t deserve to play next week. Let him get some confidence up at Box Hill first. Otherwise, much better performance than round one last year. We have a bit to work with

Reeves issue is the mids around him.
If we had 3 quality mids, we'd be winning each game by 100 points.
His ruckwork is elite, but when the midfield doesn't break even any ruck will look out of place around the ground.

Weird game. Thought the entire midfield was poor, Sicily and Lewis were terrible, we couldn't hit a barn door in front of goal while they couldn't miss.

Yet we only lost by 4 goals and had 6 more shots

Disagree with that.

Scored 83. Last year that's 60 max, so there's improvement
And it absolutely should have been over 100

28 shots, many very gettable

11. 17 from where the chances were was very poor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ward & MacKenzie need to start contributing more. Otherwise they will need to work on their game in the VFL if that’s the output they’re going to put up.
They’re developing mids- we’re gonna have to be patient and ride the bumps while they get to 50 games…

Not every top draft pick comes in and dominates every week from their 1st game… it will take time…

Last edited:
Kick down the line to an outnumber

High ball into the forward 50 and intercept mark

Rinse and repeat

Same plan as the last five or six years then?

Haven’t seen the match but wtf? Best tagger as a sub? That’s…. Original thinking.

And failed miserably, let’s hope it’s not repeated this year.

Another season of watching Reeves dominate the hitouts yet do SFA around the ground

Was against taking Watson at pick 4 and saw nothing today that alleviated my concern. It’s only his first game but doesn’t deserve to play next week. Let him get some confidence up at Box Hill first. Otherwise, much better performance than round one last year. We have a bit to work with

Reeves was taught a lesson by the ancient Goldy playing solo ruck. I thought the heat would cook him, but the old fella just motored on all game.

Hustwaithe in for any of those crabs
Yep. Had to bite my tongue since Thursday evening when the teams were announced. Hustwaite should’ve been in the side. Tactical blunder number 1 before the ball was even bounced. Ward or Mackenzie will make way for him next week. Mackenzie in particular seemed a bit soft in the contest today

Harsh on Lewis here.

The forward make up couldn't be any more different to last year, and he consistently had teammates getting in his space.

The bloke has gone from playing in a forward line that's like a country town on a Sunday, to driving in city traffic at peak hour.

It's one game. From that one look, I reckon his role has to change and have him playing well up the ground, but he didn't just turn into a spud, he and the rest of the team will work it out.

On today’s performance we’ve had no improvement or gone backwards from last year just a few names have changed. Nothing really to get excited about again this year .
We got smashed by 10 goals and were never in the game after quarter time last year..

We were on top for most of the day today but just didn’t make the most of our chances and got over run in the last… Massive improvement on last year really…

I hate losing to these fockers

Will Ferrell Crying GIF

Harsh on Lewis here.

The forward make up couldn't be any more different to last year, and he consistently had teammates getting in his space.

The bloke has gone from playing in a forward line that's like a country town on a Sunday, to driving in city traffic at peak hour.

It's one game. From that one look, I reckon his role has to change and have him playing well up the ground, but he didn't just turn into a spud, he and the rest of the team will work it out.
It's the worst Lewis has played. Assuming he had a corked hip and wasn't fit. There's no other explanation for it. Was totally ineffective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back