Game Day Round 1, 2024 : West Coast v Port Adelaide - 1.00pm Sun 17/3 @ Adelaide Oval (A new era begins)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ready to be hurt again.

Not sure about Witherden tbh. With Cole and Duggan down back there's enough slowish types. Think JJ should be miles ahead as he offers something different, especially if Hunt rotates on a wing.
Yeah I'm not sold on Witherden either, I guess there's a reason he is in front of JJ but it's hard to see from here.

Having no JJ is absolutely idiotic.
One of the few players we have with blistering pace out of defence and skill not to turn it over.

Starting to doubt Simmo now. The nice guy act is wearing thin. Port will smash us by 100 with our slow smalls in defence of Witho Cole and Duggan already proven that trio doesn't work.

Strap yourselves in, this game will be rough. Port forwards are licking there lips as we speak. Gov will just have to incept all there forwards now and do it all with no help.

One of the few players we have with blistering pace out of defence and skill not to turn it over.

Starting to doubt Simmo now. The nice guy act is wearing thin. Port will smash us by 100 with our slow smalls in defence of Witho Cole and Duggan already proven that trio doesn't work.

Strap yourselves in, this game will be rough. Port forwards are licking there lips as we speak. Gov will just have to incept all there forwards now and do it all with no help.
Starting to doubt Simmo because JJ is not playing is a strange hill to die on.
I doubt playing JJ will make any difference to the margin.

FWIW, I think he should be in the side.
From what I've seen this year, Cole is lucky to keep his spot.

I think Witho has gotta be in the team because he does such a good sad face when yet another goal is scored against him.

From the article posted about the team on the AFL site; players are graded/rated on a few areas. It says that defenders who leave their man to cover space, stop an overlap etc get a higher rating and that Witherden scores highly because of this. So he's doing what the coaches ask of him and gets rewarded for it.

I AM NOT CONDONING THIS I'M JUST PASSING ON INFORMATION

Cole is pretty quick and a good lock down small . Barrass has a good top speed and hough is rapid so 3 out of 6 is alright

Duggan and Gov are plodders . Witho is treacle

There is a reason Brisbane paid 1/2 of witherden salary to not play for them . They saw a flaw in his game that would be detrimental to the team and shipped him off .

From the article posted about the team on the AFL site; players are graded/rated on a few areas. It says that defenders who leave their man to cover space, stop an overlap etc get a higher rating and that Witherden scores highly because of this. So he's doing what the coaches ask of him and gets rewarded for it.

Too bad his direct opposition kicks heaps of goals . That doesn't lose you games ? but guarding space helps you win 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like jamo is the 7th defender and probably back up ruck .

Not ideal but its better than having waterman in the ruck I suppose

If jamo has to only go up against finlayson it will be ok but soldo is a monster so it will be a hard day out for Williams

Yeah but Witho covering space is all good and well but when you can't get out of 2nd gear the opposition just run around him with ease. Covering space is only good if one you have pace to cover it and two you have contested marking to fly for it.

Witho has neither. It's like a witches hat covering space

Witherden played predominantly on Fogarty when we played Adelaide and he was one of the few crows forwards not to have a day out

Port have a tallish forward line and with a lack of tall options available for us, Witherden can play tall at least

You’re all nuts - I like JJ too but he’s a ball burner. He has a bit of dash but seriously, the guy wouldn’t get a game in any other team, it’s a positive that he’s on the fringes if it means we are getting time into players that might take us forward, not fill spots in a bad team.

….and unless of course you didn’t watch the end of last season (fair enough I guess), with Hurn gone, Witherden will be our number 1 kick in option - for better or worse - he was never not going to be in the team.

Pretty happy though with my predicted Round 1 team - from way back in early December…

B: Liam Duggan, Tom Barrass, Tom Cole

HB: Jayden Hunt, Jeremy McGovern, Elliot Yeo

C: Brady Hough, Reuben Ginbey, Andrew Gaff

HF: Elijah Hewett (inj), Jack Darling, Jamie Cripps

F: Liam Ryan (inj), Oscar Allen, Noah Long

Foll: Matt Flynn (inj), Tom Kelly, Dom Sheed (inj)

I/C: Bailey Williams, Tyler Brockman, Alex Witherden, Harley Reid

Sub: Jack Petrucelle

In: Jamieson (Flynn)

Chesser (Hewett)

Waterman (Ryan)

Edwards (Sheed)

Just injury changes. Even after 20+ years on here, you’re all just trying to keep up! 😉

Petch is one of several that are deserving of a chance. But with Hewett, Basso, etc, etc pushing for spots they're dining at the last chance cafe. I have no problem with this. We are developing a competitive team for future years, not aiming for finals this year.

Who said anything about finals?

I'm ready to be hurt again.

Not sure about Witherden tbh. With Cole and Duggan down back there's enough slowish types. Think JJ should be miles ahead as he offers something different, especially if Hunt rotates on a wing.
Same. I was quite frustrated with Witho that crows game. We have so many turnover merchants in defence including JJ but hey at least he tries to take the game on. Only thing I can see with his non selection is that JJ isn’t that good a defensive player and hence someone like Witho is playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back