Preview Round 10 Changes v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't surprise me if some of them rule themselves out this week like Fyfe and Pearce in particular.

They have thought at the time they could put it aside and get through it, but realise now they weren't in the right head space and playing was more detrimental.

Delean won’t be debuting anytime soon. He is promising but very raw and a work in progress. People turn on TV and see 1 flashy goal and make comments around get him in the team. The rest of the game he barely touches it. Same went for Cooper on the weekend except he got 2 goals to Delean’s 1. It’s a development year for Delean.

Hard to judge this weekend with many players affected by Cam McCarthy’s sudden passing.

The players at Peel ready to step up are names that generally won’t get too much excitement:
Hughes, Erasmus, Wagner, Worner, Brodie, Reidy (lots of hit outs but not much around the ground).

With regards to forwards
Tabs was rusty and looked generally not present - especially first half. Sturt didn’t play.

Erasmus is one I’d like to see be thrown forward a bit more during WAFL games. He floated forward and took a nice mark i50 but stuffed the set shot. His game on weekend involved good spread into space to be the link up player and did it very well.

I doubt Reidy will get a debut. The weather forecast (be it incorrect) may have persuaded them against that and the fact that Sydney have a good ruck duo. Marshall would tear him a new one and Tim English and support cast would give him a bath as well. Reidy has come on particularly the past month but still seems just too slow around the ground and offers next to nothing up forward.

This won’t garner much positive response but I’m not against trialling a smaller more attacking backline. Might cost some goals but give us more opportunity. By this I mean either Worner or Wagner in for Draper.

It has been suggested in this thread and with Chapman up and running along with Luke Ryan it would be worth trying.

Draper has been solid and would be unlucky but offers zero rebound.

Wagner is very attacking and one who manages to pull off some nice attacking kicks off half back flank.

Marvel might be the ground to pull that trigger to have a more attacking team.

Chapman is listed as 193cm.

The problem with putting Worner in for Draper is Draper is quicker than Worner. I do think Worner would get a lot more of the ball and use it better, but if Pearce went down (which eventually will happen given his history) we are stuffed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

3 of those games he was sub. If you adjust for that JOM is averaging more possessions and more importantly MORE score involvements that all of Banfield, Frederick, Walters, Switter and Emmett (in order with Emmett the lowest)

3 of those games he was sub. If you adjust for that JOM is averaging more possessions and more importantly MORE score involvements that all of Banfield, Frederick, Walters, Switter and Emmett (in order with Emmett the lowest)

JOM started season slowly off injury and then as sub but is warming into the season past 3 weeks. Was a bit down on weekend but he was thrown around many different spots. Saw him working off HBF for a bit as well as wing. He played well against Richmond. Would be silly to drop him now. His rushed kicks at goal are very frustrating though. Missed a sitter in the first quarter.

As for my earlier comments about n Draper out for Wagner or Worner. Draper may well be quicker than Worner but aside closing speed as a defender (which I admit he has been generally good) he doesn’t use that speed as a weapon. Wagner is quick and does use that speed.

My preference is Wagner. He has started hitting the form he had at the back end of 2023. Has been playing very well for Peel.

Delean won’t be debuting anytime soon. He is promising but very raw and a work in progress. People turn on TV and see 1 flashy goal and make comments around get him in the team. The rest of the game he barely touches it. Same went for Cooper on the weekend except he got 2 goals to Delean’s 1. It’s a development year for Delean.

Hard to judge this weekend with many players affected by Cam McCarthy’s sudden passing.

The players at Peel ready to step up are names that generally won’t get too much excitement:
Hughes, Erasmus, Wagner, Worner, Brodie, Reidy (lots of hit outs but not much around the ground).

With regards to forwards
Tabs was rusty and looked generally not present - especially first half. Sturt didn’t play.

Erasmus is one I’d like to see be thrown forward a bit more during WAFL games. He floated forward and took a nice mark i50 but stuffed the set shot. His game on weekend involved good spread into space to be the link up player and did it very well.

I doubt Reidy will get a debut. The weather forecast (be it incorrect) may have persuaded them against that and the fact that Sydney have a good ruck duo. Marshall would tear him a new one and Tim English and support cast would give him a bath as well. Reidy has come on particularly the past month but still seems just too slow around the ground and offers next to nothing up forward.

This won’t garner much positive response but I’m not against trialling a smaller more attacking backline. Might cost some goals but give us more opportunity. By this I mean either Worner or Wagner in for Draper.

It has been suggested in this thread and with Chapman up and running along with Luke Ryan it would be worth trying.

Draper has been solid and would be unlucky but offers zero rebound.

Wagner is very attacking and one who manages to pull off some nice attacking kicks off half back flank.

Marvel might be the ground to pull that trigger to have a more attacking team.

Chapman is listed as 193cm.
If I was Justin Longmuir I would seriously rotate some players.

If Wagner is gonna play on back flank if he is brought in, I would move Walker up on a wing or on a forward flank.

Yes I have posted on wanting to give Reidy a debut game. I just want younger guys to get rotated and get a debut game. I dont mind Davies to get a game in the back line.

It would be crazy if freo finish 7th or 8th. Both Darcy and Jackson are out injured and we are forced to play Knobel or Reidy in a final as a debut game.

I remember when freo made finals in 2022. Jye Amiss had his debut game vs North. His next game was that famous elim final vs the dogs.

If Wagner is gonna play on back flank if he is brought in, I would move Walker up on a wing or on a forward flank.

Yes I have posted on wanting to give Reidy a debut game. I just want younger guys to get rotated and get a debut game. I dont mind Davies to get a game in the back line.

It would be crazy if freo finish 7th or 8th. Both Darcy and Jackson are out injured and we are forced to play Knobel or Reidy in a final as a debut game.

I remember when freo made finals in 2022. Jye Amiss had his debut game vs North. His next game was that famous elim final vs the dogs.
You're not alone on the board (or even all boards) in wanting the draftees to come in, but there's a massive step up from junior footy to state league, and then again to AFL.

They have to learn their roles and the team plan sufficiently to operate as part of the team, which can range from simple to very difficult depending on the role.

And that's before you get to the physical traits, which amongst other things is being able to cover the distance, i.e. not be completely ineffective due to fatigue or having such low TOG that it affects others, and be able to take the battering from AFL hardened bodies.

It's a fair ask, and why it's usually the HBF and small forwards that have the best chance early in their career.

Agree. I wonder though if the last two games he was playing less wing to reduce his work load. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to revert him back to fwd. Unless also they rather play jom on wing, cause they need to fit him in the team somehow.

Against Richmond was okay to rest but against swans, should of been used more wing

The dogs game is how I would like banners used in the role. He was everywhere. Some of his help to get us out of the back half in the last qrter as well as kick the goals won us the game

Seemed his tog has dropped too
I wonder if part of the reason Banfield was moved forward was he has shown an ability to have some nous for goal and actually be a bit selfish having a ping, both of which our forward line could do with right now.

If that was the rationale I support it, unfortunately he hasn't recaptured that ability so it hasn't worked yet.

JOM started season slowly off injury and then as sub but is warming into the season past 3 weeks. Was a bit down on weekend but he was thrown around many different spots. Saw him working off HBF for a bit as well as wing. He played well against Richmond. Would be silly to drop him now. His rushed kicks at goal are very frustrating though. Missed a sitter in the first quarter.

As for my earlier comments about n Draper out for Wagner or Worner. Draper may well be quicker than Worner but aside closing speed as a defender (which I admit he has been generally good) he doesn’t use that speed as a weapon. Wagner is quick and does use that speed.

My preference is Wagner. He has started hitting the form he had at the back end of 2023. Has been playing very well for Peel.
I would love to see Wagner getting a crack.

I feel sorry for Worner losing his spot in the team for simply being courageous and getting hurt. I would also love to see him get another crack, but at whose expense?

I wonder if part of the reason Banfield was moved forward was he has shown an ability to have some nous for goal and actually be a bit selfish having a ping, both of which our forward line could do with right now.

If that was the rationale I support it, unfortunately he hasn't recaptured that ability so it hasn't worked yet.
I wish he’d shown some selfishness when he decided to play on quickly and pass it Sharp who was on a worse angle than he was.

JL talked about Walters being sub as being for the same reasons as Fyfe - managing old legs. Whether you buy that or not, if that's the narrative then you'd expect him to be in the 22 next week.

Also fwiw Walters has the 2nd most scoreboard influence of the small/medium fwds we play behind Freddy (3rd if you count Banfield, but his best play this season has been in that weird wing role). Low bar, but to me enough to want him played through and hope that, like in 2022, the form improves as the season goes on.
Plus one of his two? touches was a neat goal assist

You're not alone on the board (or even all boards) in wanting the draftees to come in, but there's a massive step up from junior footy to state league, and then again to AFL.

They have to learn their roles and the team plan sufficiently to operate as part of the team, which can range from simple to very difficult depending on the role.

And that's before you get to the physical traits, which amongst other things is being able to cover the distance, i.e. not be completely ineffective due to fatigue or having such low TOG that it affects others, and be able to take the battering from AFL hardened bodies.

It's a fair ask, and why it's usually the HBF and small forwards that have the best chance early in their career.
Well here is the thing...

I still remember Our finals era from 2012-15.

Yes we were winning games and making finals remarkably easily grinding out wins. But there was a fair few dockers fans complaining about the lack of kids coming through.

Yeah dockers were winning with a heavy reliance on some 30 year olds at the time.

You have to draw the line somewhere and eventually.

Reidy is ready to play. Delean is not. Neither is Knobel. Hugh Davies is reasonably close whereas Murphy is not. Even with Hugh Davies he does have the odd cat-3 brain fade turnover but a lot less in 2024. I did support the Josh Draper promotion even though to date in WAFL in my opinion Davies has looked more promising. Just Draper is more careful and efficient with ball use.

Reidy is ready to play. Delean is not. Neither is Knobel. Hugh Davies is reasonably close whereas Murphy is not. Even with Hugh Davies he does have the odd cat-3 brain fade turnover but a lot less in 2024. I did support the Josh Draper promotion even though to date in WAFL in my opinion Davies has looked more promising. Just Draper is more careful and efficient with ball use.
Again... glad Draper is wearing number 37. That was michael Johnsons old number. Johnson played 14 seasons for us and he was a careful and reliant and efficient kick back in his prime.

People complain about Justin Longmuir not having a plan B. But yep I want Reidy to play at least one dockers game before finals (if we make finals).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again... glad Draper is wearing number 37. That was michael Johnsons old number. Johnson played 14 seasons for us and he was a careful and reliant and efficient kick back in his prime.

People complain about Justin Longmuir not having a plan B. But yep I want Reidy to play at least one dockers game before finals (if we make finals).
Don’t have a problem Reidy getting a game. After the Port Scratchie I had a different view but he has improved and in good form. The match committee felt the line up with Voss forward and Treacy chopping out ruck was better. In hindsight and lack of rain Reidy would have been a better choice.

It is the push from some posters to get Delean into the team. He is miles away in my opinion. It would do more harm than good to give him a go. Let him develop his game at WAFL.

Well here is the thing...

I still remember Our finals era from 2012-15.

Yes we were winning games and making finals remarkably easily grinding out wins. But there was a fair few dockers fans complaining about the lack of kids coming through.

Yeah dockers were winning with a heavy reliance on some 30 year olds at the time.

You have to draw the line somewhere and eventually.

We don’t need to bring in young players just because they are young, every week we are in the bottom 2-4 for youngest sides. We need guys who can kick goals (young or old) and also give this team 2 more years to mature

….and in his first 8 games that other number 37 averaged 7.5 disposals per game (Draper 8.3) and 2.2 marks (Draper 3.5)

Last edited:
You need to Keep this in mind...

When the dockers have been belted by 40-60 points when Justin Longmuir is coach, do we get a massive amount of changes? not really. Justin Longmuir wants the team to gel.

So.... maybe 2 or 3 changes, Possibly 4 at the most.

I have a gut Feeling Reidy will have a debut game in his home state of Victoria. So its likely gonna be this round 10 game vs the saints or Round 14 vs the dogs at Marvel.

Some of you guys want a debutant. Delean on a forward flank would be handy.

For those calling for Reidy to get a game clearly don’t watch him in the WAFL. He may have got a couple of hundred hit outs but offers nothing around the ground. In 5 WAFL games he has taken 8 marks and kicked 1 goal, he needs to do that in one WAFL before he is ready for a call up.

For those calling for Reidy to get a game clearly don’t watch him in the WAFL. He may have got a couple of hundred hit outs but offers nothing around the ground. In 5 WAFL games he has taken 8 marks and kicked 1 goal, he needs to do that in one WAFL before he is ready for a call up.

I think the idea of playing Reidy is not so much his own output but the fact it allows for stability with the structure - and also Jackson’s (and Treacy to a lesser extent) role.
It’s been a bit like musical chairs with Darcy coming in and out.

I want Fyfe as sub, let him come on and be superman when he’s against gassed opponents.

Young into Fyfes role and Johnson into Young’s as per Richmond game.

Chapman onto the Wing,

Wagner into Chapman’s role.

Emmet dropped and Omera delisted.
Switta on thin ice.
Bring in anyone who can win a crumb or kick a goal.

Darcy in for Voss, Dogga back forward.

Yes, close up I saw Paddy Voss looking pretty out of breath in Sydney game.

….and in his first 8 games that other number 37 averaged 7.5 disposals per game (Draper 8.3) and 2.2 marks (Draper 3.5)

Michael Johnson's start in his career was... Interesting to say the least.

He was drafted in the 2004 pre season draft. So didn't play a debut game in 2004.

He had his debut game in 2005. Played 11 games that season.

He improved dramatically in 2006. Played all 25 games and was equal 2nd in the dockers best and fairest awards.

He wasnt great in 2007-9. Played well in some parts of 2010 and helped us get into finals.

I remember he was suspended in the middle of 2010 and Freo beat the swans at the SCG.

I understand but dont agree with the strategy of playing Treacy in the ruck when Darcy goes down. I`m of the belief we should be playing the JJJ structure for the whole of the season, as much as humanly possible. We have two developing rucks that could easily have come in, Reidy in particular that would have allowed Jackson to play his normal or should I say planned role.

We really need to make a decision this year about our forward structure, before we decide on the likes of McDonald etc. Other than Treacy cementing his spot in the side and confirming his value, I am no further educated about how the JJJ structure is going to work long term. Its always one game here, then Tabs is in, then another game there then Treacy is in the ruck.

There is no consistency and I cant see how the coaching team can now decide what the best structure is going to be. Its a giant puzzle and we have to find the pieces one at a time. Sharp on to the wing has been done this year. Great. Banners on the other wing has looked good but again no consistency to make a proper judgement.

Its simple, bring in Reidy/Knobel I dont care who it is into the ruck if Darcy goes down. Just give me 10 straight games with the three big forwards up front to see if they can gel.

It took way too long to get Young into the midfield as a trial, its taking too long to experiment with Chappie too. I love the idea of swinging Walker up the ground. Maybe none of it will work, who cares. Do something!!!

I understand but dont agree with the strategy of playing Treacy in the ruck when Darcy goes down. I`m of the belief we should be playing the JJJ structure for the whole of the season, as much as humanly possible. We have two developing rucks that could easily have come in, Reidy in particular that would have allowed Jackson to play his normal or should I say planned role.

We really need to make a decision this year about our forward structure, before we decide on the likes of McDonald etc. Other than Treacy cementing his spot in the side and confirming his value, I am no further educated about how the JJJ structure is going to work long term. Its always one game here, then Tabs is in, then another game there then Treacy is in the ruck.

There is no consistency and I cant see how the coaching team can now decide what the best structure is going to be. Its a giant puzzle and we have to find the pieces one at a time. Sharp on to the wing has been done this year. Great. Banners on the other wing has looked good but again no consistency to make a proper judgement.

Its simple, bring in Reidy/Knobel I dont care who it is into the ruck if Darcy goes down. Just give me 10 straight games with the three big forwards up front to see if they can gel.

It took way too long to get Young into the midfield as a trial, its taking too long to experiment with Chappie too. I love the idea of swinging Walker up the ground. Maybe none of it will work, who cares. Do something!!!

Both Jackson and Treacy best games have been when they have spent some time in the ruck. Also having 3 tall forwards doesn’t mean you have them all down there at the same time. With Darcy (or Reidy) it means 2 are down forward, one is on the bench and one is rucking

Both Jackson and Treacy best games have been when they have spent some time in the ruck. Also having 3 tall forwards doesn’t mean you have them all down there at the same time. With Darcy (or Reidy) it means 2 are down forward, one is on the bench and one is rucking

Jackson looked great the first 2 games but has steadily declined since, being the number one ruck isn’t good for his game overall. Agree on Treacy actually looking better when he gets up the ground more, but he could do that with Darcy/Reidy as the main ruck, I’d be tempted to give Jackson a full game in the forward line to try and get his touch back, dude looks spent and his timing is way off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back