Preview Round 10 Changes v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

But how much of that was Banfield already doing while doing other stuff JOM hasn't done? Like I'm not as anti-JOM as most here, but it feels like that role was earmarked for Jaeger before the season started, then Banfield gets a shot there due to injury and thrives, and now that Jaeger has played his way into fitness Banfield has to give that role up despite not putting a foot wrong and being in great form. It's sort of the story of Banfield's career: he gets his shot due to circumstances, does well, only to still be 1 bad game or an injured player returning away from being dropped (or in this case, losing his role but retaining his place, and being a less effective player because of it).
Very much this. Considering wing was relatively new role for banners and he was thriving. Think last qrter against swans he started playing wing and came into the game more. Also seems to play better on skinny side rather than fat

Difference i see is he is more flowing playing wing than jom who seems to get wrapped up or wraps others up for stoppages.

Last edited:
Banfield should be on a wing permanently, he’s more damaging running forward from the wing than stationed as a full time forward. Johnson can alternate inside/ forward and occasionally on a wing when banfield’s on the bench having a breather. That would mean JOM is permanently HHF which I don’t think suits him but they refuse to drop so what do we do?
I'd accept JOM forward if that kept Banners effective on the wing. JOM at least got shots on goal so would think he'd nail a few eventually.

On SM-A536E using BigFooty.com mobile app

They need to get the other ruckman in to replace Darcy or Jackson when they are injured

The two ruck solution works and Reidy and Jackson could keep it going and hopefully mean we build greater depth and more continuity than just burning out Jackson or Treacy.

Reidy looks great from games in WAFL, can't see why they don't roll the dice and make that happen:think:

The thing is, it’s the same guys underperforming. I mean Fyfe had a howler, but otherwise most others were give or take around how they perform.

It wasn’t like our midfield were completely absent and therefore hard to judge the forwards. We kept pumping it inside 50m and had nothing.
Well I thought the kicking from our midfield was appalling. There were times when it was so bad I didn't even know who they were aiming for.
imo only two players had reasonable games Walker and Sharp. Although I am happy to stand corrected as I haven't seen a replay.

This game is make or break for our finals chances this season.

Lose, and we’re almost no chance (realistically) given our difficult remaining fixtures.

Win, and we’re still in the mix for finals with another opportunity to finally show up on a big stage with a game against Collingwood on the following Friday.

Two defence-first coaches are likely to produce a low scoring contest, where a chance element (such as an umpire’s decision or a bounce of the ball at a critical moment) may go a long way in determining the result.

I’m expecting us to put in a gritty, hard nosed performance. But they may not be enough to get the job done.

It’s a long wait between now and match time.

Treacy is fine pinch hitting, he has done it all season and had his best year, even with his best game vs the Tigers, he kicked 3 goals in the last quarter after Darcy had already been subbed halfway through the third, Treacy was already doing the backup ruck role in that one.

The only game where he didn't ruck was the dogs game, good game for sure but he has had multiple on par or better (some against harder oppo too)

Depends on how long they honestly think Darcy will be out for. If it is a reasonable stretch, I'd like to see us go with Reidy. Our team at the moment looks cobbled together. Although, if Vossy goes ok, it might not be so bad

JL wants to play two ruckman when Darcy and Jackson are fit. Darcy is forever injured and JL runs with one ruckman and has Treacy pinch hitting who is the most dominant forward. Just ******* play Reidy.

I believe it was Duffield who mentioned talking to a former Freo player about this - if we play a two-ruck structure when Darcy is fit why wouldn't we when he's not? It's illogical and detrimental to the consistency the team is trying to find.

So he's there for verbal support

He runs around a finds some spots on the ground where the ball is

Yet he doesn't actually get the ball.

So players don't actually have to get the ball anymore they just need to say some good things. What a hecking joke
we are saldy gonna lose narrowly to the saints jus because of the palyer we put out. We lose on the selection table on here.

Ross Lyon is making 6 changes for the saints.

I believe it was Duffield who mentioned talking to a former Freo player about this - if we play a two-ruck structure when Darcy is fit why wouldn't we when he's not? It's illogical and detrimental to the consistency the team is trying to find.
It's as simple as Jackson is a far better ruck than Reidy is and Treacy pinch hitting is fine.

Better getting the ball forward with Voss up there than not getting the ball forward with Jackson up there.

I'm not sure how Reidy survived on our list if I'm honest

we are saldy gonna lose narrowly to the saints jus because of the palyer we put out. We lose on the selection table on here.

Ross Lyon is making 6 changes for the saints.
Why is making 6 changes better than keeping a stable side? Generally the teams at the pointy end of the year are the ones that have the most players that have played together for most games so they get time to gel and understand each other.

I'm not disagreeing just wondering what your reasoning is. Normally changing 6 players would indicate you were unhappy with a lot of your team.

What changes would you have made for us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is making 6 changes better than keeping a stable side? Generally the teams at the pointy end of the year are the ones that have the most players that have played together for most games so they get time to gel and understand each other.

I'm not disagreeing just wondering what your reasoning is. Normally changing 6 players would indicate you were unhappy with a lot of your team.

What changes would you have made for us?
Well despite the heavy loss, I wouldnt go to crazy....

If Sean Darcy is injured, I would bring in Liam Reidy and let him Ruck 50-70 percent of the game. Luke Jackson can rucjk the remaining 30-50 percent. I want Jackson to have some time up forward.

I want to bring in Will Broadie and let him take Jager O mearas spot in the midfield or half forward flank.

Finally, I would Bring in Corey Wagner and put him in the backline and take Brandon walkers spot. I dont want brandon walker to be dropped. I want walkers pace on a forward flank or on a wing for this game.

If Wagner comes in, gotta drop one person for him. It has to be a forward dropped. So one of Patrick voss or Tom Emett.

The forward line of Amiss, Traecy, Frederick, Jackson and Switkowski and a rotating mid as the 6th forward can do some damage on the day.

So players don't actually have to get the ball anymore they just need to say some good things. What a hecking joke
Just had to do what coach asks . But I guess fans know more than a coach

Just had to do what coach asks . But I guess fans know more than a coach

Thats such a cop out. I apparently know more than the coach. So you are saying he is playing good football?

You don't need to be an afl qualified coach to know if someone is a good footballer or not. I don't need to be on the same level of coaching than JL to have an opinion.

Jlo thinks he's playing well therefore I think he's playing well. Lol

Why do we play s**t players

What's the Erasmus, Brodie and Wagner may as well be traded.

Tell me one good game Omera has played. He is a waste of a best 22 position. Utter useless and getting paid good money to relax into a nice retirement. He must love his lucrative no strings attached contract.

Banfield only has to play good occasionally.

I agree we have to give more chances to the players playing well at Peel, but I don’t understand the pile on for OMeara. I would start with Emmett then Sonny, then probably Switter. People are saying Banfield only plays well on the wing so we have to put him there Well guess what OMeara has been asked to play multiple roles (forward, back, wing, mid) and has done ok in every position. By the way I would play Banfield forward or wing as I think k over the season he has been our best small/medium forward, although in contrast to OMeara his last 3 games have probably been his worst, but JOM has had his best

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Not confident looking at that Aints team. They’ve still got some quality across the lines and always play out of their skins against us.

Membrey is a good out for us as he always plays well against us, but I don’t like Sharman, Caminitti and Philipou as ins, they are all good players and Sharman tore us a new one of couple of years ago

he gets the ball way more than Emmett, Switter, Freddy, Sonny. I know he plays another position to them but he had an interrupted preseason, his last 3 games have probably been his best averaging 18 disposals

Thats such a cop out. I apparently know more than the coach. So you are saying he is playing good football?

You don't need to be an afl qualified coach to know if someone is a good footballer or not. I don't need to be on the same level of coaching than JL to have an opinion.

Jlo thinks he's playing well therefore I think he's playing well. Lol
How many times have we seen a coach replaced and immediately they change
the dynamics of a team?
A different voice, gameplan training, etc and all of a sudden you can see it all
click.
The other side of the coin and poor management and it doesn’t matter who coaches
a team, it’s not a quick fix.
You have to have both right to be competitive for sustained success.
Freo lack leg speed, kicking, tackling and have goal kicking issues.
You can guarantee that if a new eye roamed over our list some players would
be cut, traded, or heading for Peel.
If the coach doesn’t fix or find a way to improve the outcome then maybe he has
reached his ceiling?

They need to get the other ruckman in to replace Darcy or Jackson when they are injured

The two ruck solution works and Reidy and Jackson could keep it going and hopefully mean we build greater depth and more continuity than just burning out Jackson or Treacy.

Reidy looks great from games in WAFL, can't see why they don't roll the dice and make that happen:think:

Reidy has dominated ruck contests in the WAFL but so far this season he has had a total of 8 marks and 1 goal. As I’ve said before he needs to do that in one WAFL game before being ready for the step up to AFL

This game is make or break for our finals chances this season.

Lose, and we’re almost no chance (realistically) given our difficult remaining fixtures.

Win, and we’re still in the mix for finals with another opportunity to finally show up on a big stage with a game against Collingwood on the following Friday.

Two defence-first coaches are likely to produce a low scoring contest, where a chance element (such as an umpire’s decision or a bounce of the ball at a critical moment) may go a long way in determining the result.

I’m expecting us to put in a gritty, hard nosed performance. But they may not be enough to get the job done.

It’s a long wait between now and match time.

Yeah after round 10 last year we were 5 and 5, so we have to win this to be ahead of last year where we all know where we finished up

I agree we have to give more chances to the players playing well at Peel, but I don’t understand the pile on for OMeara. I would start with Emmett then Sonny, then probably Banfield. People are saying Banfield only plays well on the wing so we have to put him there Well guess what OMeara has been asked to play multiple roles (forward, back, wing, mid) and has done ok in every position. If others can’t play multiple positions leave them out!

O'Meara was pretty solid last week and did some important things. The level of reaction on his selection this week is way over the top.

O'Meara was pretty solid last week and did some important things. The level of reaction on his selection this week is way over the top.
Many people's minds are made up about JOM.

It isn't helped by the fact he is a recruit (fans always have higher expectations), signed a 4 year deal (felt 1-2 years too long) and isn't playing a role where his value is obvious.

Are we a better team losing Acres and getting JOM?
I don't think so, but if I was to guess there were some things happening with Acres in the background and we were looking for some more experience around the midfield and ability to kick i50.
The last one in particular is where JOM needs to step up IMO, take his opportunities and use his neat skills to better use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back