Preview Round 10 Changes v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree we have to give more chances to the players playing well at Peel, but I don’t understand the pile on for OMeara. I would start with Emmett then Sonny, then probably Switter. People are saying Banfield only plays well on the wing so we have to put him there Well guess what OMeara has been asked to play multiple roles (forward, back, wing, mid) and has done ok in every position. By the way I would play Banfield forward or wing as I think k over the season he has been our best small/medium forward, although in contrast to OMeara his last 3 games have probably been his worst, but JOM has had his best

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Last 3 been his worse? Banners singlehandedly won the game for us with his last quarter defensive efforts and kicking the goals against the doggies. Think you mean last two 😉 but banners best has been better than jom best this season

I agree we have to give more chances to the players playing well at Peel, but I don’t understand the pile on for OMeara. I would start with Emmett then Sonny, then probably Switter. People are saying Banfield only plays well on the wing so we have to put him there Well guess what OMeara has been asked to play multiple roles (forward, back, wing, mid) and has done ok in every position. By the way I would play Banfield forward or wing as I think k over the season he has been our best small/medium forward, although in contrast to OMeara his last 3 games have probably been his worst, but JOM has had his best

The fact Banfield has to play half forward to accomodate JOM’s ‘defensive prowess’ is the reason.
Banfield kicks 3, bags 21 disposals v Bulldogs, yet Jl is scared to have two offensive wingers, he puts JOM in the Acres’ defensive role, which he’s slow, can’t kick and just holds up play with his hand balling.

Guess JOM must be highly respected within the leadership group and is untouchable.

Last 3 been his worse? Banners singlehandedly won the game for us with his last quarter defensive efforts and kicking the goals against the doggies. Think you mean last two 😉 but banners best has been better than jom best this season
Banfield will be dropped before JOM, bookmark it.

The fact Banfield has to play half forward to accomodate JOM’s ‘defensive prowess’ is the reason.
Banfield kicks 3, bags 21 disposals v Bulldogs, yet Jl is scared to have two offensive wingers, he puts JOM in the Acres’ defensive role, which he’s slow, can’t kick and just holds up play with his hand balling.

Guess JOM must be highly respected within the leadership group and is untouchable.
Not sure about that. Think banners on wing is defensive, as he was often a link out the backline in that role. Just happens he was kicking goals or creating opportunities to go with it.

I agree Banners is ahead of JOM this year, it’s more Emmett and Switter I’m worried about. They both run around like headless chickens. They need to find some compure which Sonny gives us when he’s not playing for a free kick

I reckon Miranda Kerr could rock up to the Longmuir household with the most delicious Sunday roast, vacuum the house, iron all of JLs shirts and Mrs JL wouldn't sweat at all.

Hubby would never replace me, 'no changes' is his mantra. I'll just be harder at the contest.
Wife knows he wouldn't be able to sort the mid-forward connection to Miranda

I reckon Miranda Kerr could rock up to the Longmuir household with the most delicious Sunday roast, vacuum the house, iron all of JLs shirts and Mrs JL wouldn't sweat at all.

Hubby would never replace me, 'no changes' is his mantra. I'll just be harder at the contest.
I would be a dead man walking

Many people's minds are made up about JOM.

It isn't helped by the fact he is a recruit (fans always have higher expectations), signed a 4 year deal (felt 1-2 years too long) and isn't playing a role where his value is obvious.

Are we a better team losing Acres and getting JOM?
I don't think so, but if I was to guess there were some things happening with Acres in the background and we were looking for some more experience around the midfield and ability to kick i50.
The last one in particular is where JOM needs to step up IMO, take his opportunities and use his neat skills to better use.

Old , cooked and hasn’t moved the needle 1cm for us and we’ve just poured 25 games of potential development of a younger player and a good chunk of cap room down the plug hole for jackshit

Missed easy goals , tackles and turnovers early last week when we needed him to step up was as big a villain in burning our early moments as anyone and people want to highlight his leadership as the reason he’s in the team

Thanks for nothing jaeger

Go teach em how to soil the sheets down in Mandurah

And if that’s not enough a heart and soul player like Big Lloyd is killing it for the Hawks who we gave em as steak knives in that stink bomb of a trade

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old , cooked and hasn’t moved the needle 1cm for us and we’ve just poured 25 games of potential development of a younger player and a good chunk of cap room down the plug hole for jackshit

Missed easy goals , tackles and turnovers early last week when we needed him to step up was as big a villain in burning our early moments as anyone and people want to highlight his leadership as the reason he’s in the team

Thanks for nothing jaeger

Go teach em how to soil the sheets down in Mandurah

And if that’s not enough a heart and soul player like Big Lloyd is killing it for the Hawks who we gave em as steak knives in that stink bomb of a trade

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah you're a good example of what I was talking about.

I haven't actually noticed anything constructive from you at all.

It isn't helped by the fact he is a recruit (fans always have higher expectations), signed a 4 year deal (felt 1-2 years too long) and isn't playing a role where his value is obvious.

I don't think so, but if I was to guess there were some things happening with Acres in the background and we were looking for some more experience around the midfield and ability to kick i50.
The last one in particular is where JOM needs to step up IMO, take his opportunities and use his neat skills to better use.
Honestly it feels JOM was a safe back up not only for Mundy retiring but for Fyfe going forward. Suddenly Fyfe is fittest he has been for some time yet JOM probably has been the worst he has in years. He looks and plays like the oldest player on the team.

It’s a bad trade. He offers nothing of value coming out of stoppages, slow on the wing. He’s not a need nor a want.

However I am just going to say that it’ll be a poor choice in the long run.

Erasmus will be pushed for a trade, Brodie almost certainly then suddenly midfield has no depth nor elite given JOM is 32, Fyfe is 33.

It doesn’t help that, for the life of the club, Jaegar continues to be picked based on ‘leadership’ which is absolutely a farce given he was allowed to come straight into the leadership group. That sends such a poor message. Sure he’s a high IQ guy, but what about developing Ryan, Cox or Darcy in that group instead? They’re the future signing 5+ years.

It’s just disappointing as a club continue to make these decisions based on good guy culture.

If the club wants to move forward, cut the contract and agree to mutual termination end of season. There’s no way he can do this season and for another two after this. No way

There was a run of games in 2023 heading into that mid-season win against Melbourne at the MCG where O'meara was not just a handy player, but a good player for us, but he got reported in that game for a sling tackle and found it harder when he came back.

Acres, who is about 18 months younger, had two seasons here where apart from the odd game, he didn't really give much return either and came good in Year 3, so I'm still hopeful JOM will have a blinder tomorrow against Euro-Yroke.

Honestly it feels JOM was a safe back up not only for Mundy retiring but for Fyfe going forward. Suddenly Fyfe is fittest he has been for some time yet JOM probably has been the worst he has in years. He looks and plays like the oldest player on the team.

It’s a bad trade. He offers nothing of value coming out of stoppages, slow on the wing. He’s not a need nor a want.

Erasmus will be pushed for a trade, Brodie almost certainly then suddenly midfield has no depth nor elite given JOM is 32, Fyfe is 33.

It doesn’t help that, for the life of the club, Jaegar continues to be picked based on ‘leadership’ which is absolutely a farce given he was allowed to come straight into the leadership group. That sends such a poor message. Sure he’s a high IQ guy, but what about developing Ryan, Cox or Darcy in that group instead? They’re the future signing 5+ years.

It’s just disappointing as a club continue to make these decisions based on good guy culture.

If the club wants to move forward, cut the contract and agree to mutual termination end of season. There’s no way he can do this season and for another two after this. No way
Maybe we could make him a development coach, pay him that way.

That's a narrative that you've decided on, that he's only picked for his leadership.

To be clear, I'm not a JOM fan and I'm not defending him, just pointing out what happens a lot with human psychology.
You've decided he's useless, will cause Ras to be traded, etc. and from here on in confirmation bias will probably let you see what you wanna see, unless he suddenly becomes a star which is a pipedream.

I don't understand his role, I was looking for the exact discussion we've previously had where people notice things I dont.
I'm willing to entertain other reasons than conspiracy or "good bloke culture" for him being in.
AFL is too cutthroat for JOM to be hanging on just because he's in the leadership group.

I’d love to have all these roles that players play on wings, flanks and pockets explained. I hold my tongue in judgement because I’m never sure I fully appreciate the roles certain players play. I also figure the coach’s expertise trumps my observations.

That's a narrative that you've decided on, that he's only picked for his leadership.

To be clear, I'm not a JOM fan and I'm not defending him, just pointing out what happens a lot with human psychology.
You've decided he's useless, will cause Ras to be traded, etc. and from here on in confirmation bias will probably let you see what you wanna see, unless he suddenly becomes a star which is a pipedream.

I don't understand his role, I was looking for the exact discussion we've previously had where people notice things I dont.
I'm willing to entertain other reasons than conspiracy or "good bloke culture" for him being in.
AFL is too cutthroat for JOM to be hanging on just because he's in the leadership group.

That goes to the heart of it though - rightly or wrongly there is a perception JL isn’t ruthless, and plays players based on reputation over output.

I believe that is the case, concerned with upsetting people, and prioritises it over performance.

Then what is he in for? What is his role?
What is Brodie doing so badly at WAFL level, getting 30 disposals every week, that JOM is doing better at?
Why is Erasmus coming in one week, off the bench, then gets dropped yet JOM does the same and gets a pass card?

The team just loss by 48 points. Yet 0 changes. That’s hardly inspiring or pushing players to be better.

AFL has many cases of the same type of player being in teams based on leadership, reputation, whatever it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back