Preview Round 10: Essendon Bombers vs Oliver Twist Kangaroos, Marvel Stadium, Sunday 19th May, 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We concede 100 pts at least every game and can't score over 80pts
I think we have scored over 100pt ourselves once in like 2 years.

I just can't see us troubling Essendon.
We may be the first team to go win less.
I hope you guys can get a win this year, just not next weekend.
Tigers in rd 21 could be close. Eagles in Hobart too. Plus there's usually one that comes out of nowhere.
No team has ever gone winless, it's a lot less likely than likely.

I hope you guys can get a win this year, just not next weekend.
Tigers in rd 21 could be close. Eagles in Hobart too. Plus there's usually one that comes out of nowhere.
No team has ever gone winless, it's a lot less likely than likely.
Hopefully
However probably would only beat Eagles/Tigers when they are in full tank mode.

Disappointing season so far to say the least.

Goldy has been immense, but can't imagine a freshen up hurting him. It helps that even if Draper still can't get up, Bryan is starting to show a bit at VFL-level.

Still, temptation to rest the old fellas aside, I can't see too many changes, given Scott is who he is. Maybe Hobbs down to VFL so he can get a full 4 quarters into his legs? Maybe Davey out (potentially for J. Davey)? Maybe Reid straight back in? (tough luck to Laverde if so. Made his usual grab-bag of brain fades today, but he also shows a lot of heart and is always up for the contest).

OUT: Jones & Heppell
IN: Tsatas & Roberts

Team;-

Kelly McKay Lav
Martin Redman McGrath
Hind Parish Tsatas
Perkins Stringer Gresham
2MP Langford Guelfi

Goldy Durham Merrett

Bench: Caldwell Hobbs Roberts ADavey
SUB: Cox

2MP needs to start clunking some marks - hopefully North can play him back into form

The following week for dreamtime bring in JDavey - let the two Davey's light up the G..!!

Just watched the GC v Norf game from last night, and they are just a shocking footy side. Genuinely looks like Clarkson has lost the plot and has no idea how to coach a side to do the basics anymore.

Just no star power, no on field leadership. Luke McDonald, as a captain, looks to be smiling every time the Gold Coast scored...? I can't see any structure to what they're trying to do.

Numerous AFL handouts, and they look to have been completely wasted; the rest of the clubs won't accept any more concessions heading their way so I can't see where they can turn this around. It's becoming clear that Clarkson isn't the answer.

I genuinely feel for their fans; whilst we've had plenty of down periods in the past 20 odd years I've never felt like we were totally adrift at sea, and that's what North look like at the moment.

If we're going to be serious about this season and have a red hot crack, we need to put them to the absolute sword and get a big, big win.

I fully suspect they'll galvanise and put out a much better showing than they did last night, though.

A friend messaged me last night and asked if I was starting to believe, I replied that I will if we safely navigate the next two weeks. As nice as yesterday was the next two weeks will tell us a lot more about where we are at.

A friend messaged me last night and asked if I was starting to believe, I replied that I will if we safely navigate the next two weeks. As nice as yesterday was the next two weeks will tell us a lot more about where we are at.
I'm keeping the lid on until we win a final, and oh boy are my Carlton and Hawk mates going to cop it then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the GC v Norf game from last night, and they are just a shocking footy side. Genuinely looks like Clarkson has lost the plot and has no idea how to coach a side to do the basics anymore.

Just no star power, no on field leadership. Luke McDonald, as a captain, looks to be smiling every time the Gold Coast scored...? I can't see any structure to what they're trying to do.

Numerous AFL handouts, and they look to have been completely wasted; the rest of the clubs won't accept any more concessions heading their way so I can't see where they can turn this around. It's becoming clear that Clarkson isn't the answer.

I genuinely feel for their fans; whilst we've had plenty of down periods in the past 20 odd years I've never felt like we were totally adrift at sea, and that's what North look like at the moment.

If we're going to be serious about this season and have a red hot crack, we need to put them to the absolute sword and get a big, big win.

I fully suspect they'll galvanise and put out a much better showing than they did last night, though.
Said similar last night to a mate. It has been a pretty bad 20 years for us but not even in 2016 did I think we looked as pathetic as norf do right now. That isn't trying to troll them either. They just look absolutely lost.

Clarko proving again that its very hard for a coach to repeat success either at the same club or another. Perhaps having Franklin, Roughy, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and support co. made it easy to look good? Not sure North looks like it is playing well below the speed, pace and skill of other teams.. including other bottom 4 teams.

I don't think JHF will be the last talented youngster to leave. I suspect that other clubs will keep raiding any talent they do acquire. Potentially instead of more draft concessions they actually have to give North an amnesty against losing players?

Either way.. if Bombers are serious about changing the culture then next weekend is a true test. Need to start well and bury them. No mucking around, no show boating.. just clean and efficient footy and move on to the next. Bombers by 60+

This game is actually pretty important for us because I think its a clear opportunity to get our forward line structure really working well against some lets face it easier opposition.
We need to make sure we can maximise the combination of Wright, Jones, Stringer and Langford.
In terms of playing like a team I think we are seeing some good things from our forward line but we aren't yet maximising the individuals output besides Langford's.

I expect we probably would win on talent alone but I want to see us win it through system, talent and application with a really mature performance. That's a lot better than seeing Merrett single handedly drag us over the line.

Very hard to change the team off the back of that.

Every player stood up.

Maybe rest Davey to come in fresh for Dreamtime.

We are starting to get real pressure for spots. In the coming weeks there will be 6 or 7 players that will miss that genuinely could fit in. Haven't had this for years but essential to be competitive in this comp. Depth is massiviely important.

I'd like a comfortable win. We're good enough to beat them by at least 30 points. But a win is the most important thing so I wouldn't be mad at a win like we had vs West Coast where we kept them at arms length all day.
We're good enough to beat them by 100. They're abysmal and a lot of their players looked disinterested. It just depends whether Essington shows up at any stage.

Sorry, what? I was lining up to execute Jones after round 1. However, he's been very good since then. His run and attack on the ball have been excellent and he also provides a lot of pressure for a big man. Yes, he doesn't always stick the marks, but I think that is something that will come. His running patterns are AFL standard now, so his development requires he plays AFL. I wouldn't even think it is a discussion anymore.

Coming from a family who rated Davey Snr as the most exciting player seen in red and black since peak Michale Long, it hurts me to say, but Jnr needs to play reserves and learn to not disappear for 30 min or so at a time. We'd be as well served pressure-wise having a tall, especially when Jones can run like a flanker and pull one tall away from the hot spot, Wright can lead up at the ball and then the resting ruck can take the spoils in the goal square.

Stringer is playing mostly centre square now who pushes forward, and Langford can put pressure on too, and will be more effective when the opposition has to put their fourth guy on him, or Jones will get off the hook.

I also like the set-up of our talls playing forward of the ball when it is in midfield and backline, but once the ball is at a stoppage in the forward line staying outside of 50 to make the opposition's hurried kicks out of defence (with one remaining in the goal square for our quick kick.

I wouldn't mind giving Shiel a run this week as the sub and bringing Tsatas in to play the full game, with Davey and Hobbs making way for them. I would also accept an unchanged side based on the result.
Harry Jones job is to kick goals, he has kicked one goal in the last 3 weeks. All well and good to apply pressure but there are plenty of tall forwards that can apply pressure and still kick goals.

Jayden 3 goals. Good. 0 tackles. Not so much. Not yet for me.

I would say no change other than Hobbs can not keep playing sub. heck resting or changes for the sake of change. Do not mess with a winning formula.

I don’t believe Ess are that arrogant.
Really good win for them yday but to go into the next 2 weeks underestimating their opposition bc of their current form would be very disappointing given the last 20 years of shambles.
Nth doing it tough bc young and perhaps player movements unsettling them bc of losses and rich going through an injury horror movie.
The team seem levelheaded. Listened to the interviews on sen
Todd
Dyson
Ben
Andy
All say they are very happy with the way things are heading but knowing there is more work to do. What I do trust is that the team is competitive and discovered the benefits of applying defensive pressure in a go hard brand of football. This is not luck it’s building something real to earn lost respect and put the club back on its path with the help of Brad. I would hate for them to throw this all away bc of how the next 2 opp have been playing but respect the views of posters here. Ess have over the years been challenged by lesser perf clubs that is true but this is a new look and feel team. I haven’t seen this type of pressure in a game for over 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back