Review Round 10 GWS vs Carlton, Saturday 1st June 1:45 @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
194247-27528-7.png

The last time we met Carlton we put in one of our better performances last year when we were within two goals of the blues at the main break with o'hailpin kicking 3 majors before going down with an acl which was a major turning point after already losing Brogan earlier in the match. So here's hoping that we match or better that effort this time round.

And for those interested here is some highlights from that match:

Teams named:

GWS Giants
B: Tim Mohr, Aidan Corr, Adam Kennedy
HB: Matthew Buntine, Joshua Bruce, Dylan Shiel
C: Adam Treloar, Toby Greene, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Devon Smith, Jeremy Cameron, Rhys Palmer
F: Taylor Adams, Adam Tomlinson, Nathan Wilson
Foll: Jonathan Giles, Tom Scully, Callan Ward
Int: Dean Brogan, Jacob Townsend, Curtly Hampton, Stephen Coniglio
Emerg: Sam Reid, Setanta O’hAilpin, Will Hoskin-Elliott

In: D.Brogan, J.Townsend, N.Wilson
Out: S.Gilham, S.O’hAilpin, A.Miles

Carlton
B: Mitch Robinson, Michael Jamison, Lachie Henderson
HB: Zach Tuohy, Dennis Armfield, Simon White
C: Chris Yarran, Chris Judd, Kade Simpson
HF: Ed Curnow, Andrew Walker, Jeff Garlett
F: Brock McLean, Jarrad Waite, Matthew Kreuzer
Foll: Levi Casboult, Marc Murphy, Heath Scotland
Int: Bryce Gibbs, Josh Bootsma, Tom Bell, Jaryd Cachia
Emerg: Dylan Buckley, Matthew Watson, Troy Menzel

In: C.Yarran, L.Casboult
Out: R.Warnock (knee), K.Lucas (hamstring)

Will Setanta play, he was subbed early.... I would love to see Thornton get a run, he might be a bit fired up against his old mates

Wonder if we will get a rising star non this round. Summer still eligible I believe. Is Adams eligible? Would like to see one of thenew boys grab a few noms this year as well!

Looks like Wilson and Reid a chance to get promoted to the senior side:

UWS GIANTS Coach Brett Hands says it was disappointing to let the Suns get away in the second term.
"We made some costly mistakes and they capitalised on them. We need to work on our concentration lapses and stop the opposition kicking quick goals in succession like they did,” said Hand.
“The Suns dominated the hit outs and centre clearances and put our back line under a lot of pressure.”
“Sam Reid was outstanding all day, spreading both forward and back and he got on the end of a few too.
“Nathan Wilson was also lively up forward and it was good to see him playing with some spark and kicking three goals.
“Mark Whiley won plenty of the ball at stoppages and did a very good job tagging Michael Rischitelli in the second half, while Lachie Plowman and Will Hoskin-Elliott were very solid defensively,” he said.
Tyson also impressed Hand. "Dom [Tyson] played about 60 per cent of the game and he was very pleasing. He was creative at stoppages, moved well and showed some slick hands," said Hand.
“He’ll be better for the run and we’ll increase his workload next week.”

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-05-28/wilson

Adams is not eligible. Played 15 games last year. Anyone know who would be eligible? I think Dom Tyson and WHE are but idk who else off memory.

Hoskin-Elliot, Tomlinson, Tyson, Edwards, Miles, Haynes, Patton Wilson, Phillips, Darley, Whitfield, Bruce, Buntine, Sumner, Frost, Whiley, Plowman, Corr, Golds, Williams, Aylett, Ugle,

Would expect a nod for Whitfield, Tyson, Sumner and WHE and Patton will win it next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues to rest a few players this week in preperation for a big month ahead after this match. Hoping Ohalipin and Thornton both play.

I trust they know what they are doing, but why do I always feel disappointed at selection time wondering why they leave out the players I really feel we need for a particular game. I know he had a quiet one last week, but really felt we needed Setanta this week !! And we have a pretty small backline considering how tall their forewords are ! Hmmm

This weeks team selection seems puzzling. One could almost argue that we were tanking :eek:. Seriously, Corr and Bruce as the Key defenders? I can understand wanting to get experience into the team, but you would want to limit the thrashings somewhat.

Mr Sheedy... please explain.

This weeks team selection seems puzzling. One could almost argue that we were tanking :eek:. Seriously, Corr and Bruce as the Key defenders? I can understand wanting to get experience into the team, but you would want to limit the thrashings somewhat.

Mr Sheedy... please explain.

We seem to have more experimental sides on away games.

Would think we are trying to freshen up a few of the guys given after this match for the first time we will have back to back games at skoda with the rd 12 game against port being the one we target for a win with the bye to follow that.

So we will have 3 weeks where we don't have to travel before we get into the 2nd half of the year might just be the break we need to recharge our batteries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back